• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2nd Fuel Tank

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy everyone. Not sure where to post this. Mods, please move it if there's a better spot.

I'm considering putting a 2nd fuel tank on my 1999 Ranger supercab. Somehow I got it in my head that a '85+ Bronco II fuel tank will fit between the frame, where the factory spare tire carrier used to be. (read that somewhere it will work, can't find it here or other places)

Does anybody have any information on this? If possible, I'd like to plumb the 2 tanks as one, if that makes sense. Have the Bronco II tank feed into the OEM tank, rather than have a switch on the dash that determines which tank is feeding.

Thanks!

Jon

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have emissions testing in your area then it gets very hard pass with 2nd gas tanks, which is why they were dropped by car makers
EVAP system issues

Yes, you can fit the B2 gas tanks in place of the spare tire but it will sit LOW if off-roading at regular height
Doing a body lift(bed lift) helps

Thread here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/behind-axle-tank-the-way-ford-shouldve-done-it.178281/

Rear frame dimensions were the same, pretty much, on all Rangers, 1983 to 2011

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Whatever you do is going to be a custom job. There were so few dual tank Rangers that replacement parts are all but nonexistent. Even the fuel door and filler neck is going to be custom. At least they left the hump in the bed to take advantage of...

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have emissions testing in your area then it gets very hard pass with 2nd gas tanks, which is why they were dropped by car makers
EVAP system issues

Yes, you can fit the B2 gas tanks in place of the spare tire but it will sit LOW if off-roading at regular height
Doing a body lift(bed lift) helps

Thread here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/behind-axle-tank-the-way-ford-shouldve-done-it.178281/

Rear frame dimensions were the same, pretty much, on all Rangers, 1983 to 2011
Thanks, Ron. That's a big help.

Should be relocating soon to out of an emissions straddled county.

Working on the Superlift install now, with the materials set aside for a custom flatbed.

Sgt, already counting on the custom part.

Thanks again, guys!

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking at something similar, but putting a short bed on a long bed standard cab frame and a new custom tank between them. Get a long bed topper to cover the top and some side trim and I figure I can have one hell of a second tank. ( Looking at a fair number of cross country runs in the future and I hate to stop if I don't have to. ) She tells me the next thing will be a transmission funnel down through the floor so I don't have to stop to take a leak. Might be an idea if smokey is behind me :icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fullsizes were much more likely to have dual tanks, probably easier to find the valving and lines from one of those.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I kind of like the idea of a tank between the bed and the cab. The loss of in cab storage would stink but about 12” of gap would allow for a pretty big tank!

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm planning on some long drawers on one side in the bed for storage, it's going to be a road trip vehicle more than a 'work' vehicle. Adding a boot between the cab and topper and insulating the topper gives me a sleeper. Many of the trips will be LONG distance, like St. Louis to Dallas kind of runs.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm planning on some long drawers on one side in the bed for storage, it's going to be a road trip vehicle more than a 'work' vehicle. Adding a boot between the cab and topper and insulating the topper gives me a sleeper. Many of the trips will be LONG distance, like St. Louis to Dallas kind of runs.
I’ve thinking of some of those fiberglass drop ceil tiles as a long term project for that. Thin, flexible, and shouldn’t intrude into the cap much but still add quite a bit of insulation value.

I still haven’t thought much about the bed itself and how to insulate it. I would imagine there would be quite a bit of heat loss through the sheet metal. Maybe some of that insulative dynomat stuff for the side walls since the floor is covered with a wood platform.

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My plan is ti cut strips to fill the bed grooves, then at least a 1/2" or 3/4" of foam sheet on top of that, topped by some 3/4" plywood. Probably laid sideways and toung and grove for a tight fit. The 3/4" will spread the pressure points out on the foam base. Saw some really nice diesel heater on a You Tube video. External draw and exhaust for combustion, totally separate from the heated air. The gut, in a tent in teh winter in Colorado, used less than a gallon of diesel and almost roasted himself out of an un-insulated tent. Definitely going to upgrade to the thermostatically controlled unit.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fullsizes were much more likely to have dual tanks, probably easier to find the valving and lines from one of those.
I've noticed that. I would think it shouldn't be too hard to adapt a selector valve and switch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Full size trucks needed dual tanks with 8 to 10 MPG, lol

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tell me about it!

My pre-Ranger truck was a 1976 K10. 10mpg everywhere. Then $4/gallon gas hit AZ. Got my Ranger and it paid for itself in gas savings in like 4 months.

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a pair of 98's that i can rob from. May have to get the internals to the tank to get the right fittings, then keep an eye out at the junk yard for a dual tank set up... or break down and buy one on RockAuto.

Have to do a bit of hinting, bit I seem to remember a friends F-25 with dual tanks, so that's a start.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
our farm truck was a 77 F250 with full-time 4wd, 400 V8, C6 & 4.10’s- got 9 at best but what a workhorse! previous truck of dads was identical in color (two-tone green) 74 F250 2wd with the 300-6, creeper 1st 4 speed & 3.73’s & it only did about 15 at best but was very good despite being a 2wd, trucks had some weight back then!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals