• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

289 questions

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
ok i my firend talked me into going with a 302 from a mercury mountaineer. now my question is will a aod bolt up to it? and what flex plate should i use? i want to use a mild cam any suggestions?? I am going to carb this engine with a 650 eb and a eb intake.

i also heard you can use your 2.9 mounts?? is this tru??? and does any one have a pic of what they look like??

Last edited:

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure about the AOD questions, but you’re going to have to probably modify or get different motor mounts. As for a cam I used a trick flow stage one in my 91 302HO and it worked really well. The only thing I did to the stock heads was use a better spring. I was using a 600cfm Holley, Weiand intake and headers. I knew I was going to move to better heads and roller rockers so I felt this cam was the right one for me with the future upgrades. I think your cam selections really depends on what you want to do to the motor (now and in the future), durability, performance, sound, etc...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You can use a flex plate from an 86-95 Mustang balanced at 50 oz. If you use the 289 you can use one from a C4 balanced at 28 oz. IIRC. Here's a brand new one balanced at 50 oz. for 40 bucks.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-auto-flexplate-c4.html

This is a 164 tooth plate so it needs a newer starter too. Just an FYI. Also, be sure that if you switch to a distributor you use a steel geared dizzy.

Last edited:

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
This will be a dd and weekend mudder. It will be a 302 full roller engine. That's why iam getting it out of a mecurey montnier. It will have The gt40p heads allread on it. Just through my cam in and card it ill be done.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Post up some pics when your done I want to see how it goes since I'm putting that 289 in my 83 1st gen.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This will be a dd and weekend mudder. It will be a 302 full roller engine. That's why iam getting it out of a mecurey montnier. It will have The gt40p heads allread on it. Just through my cam in and card it ill be done.
Awesome choice. I love those heads!

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
ok any exhaust suggestions? ok my set up is going to be a 302,aod,stock 1350. still need a answer on the motor mount?? (read what i first post) thanks for all your help guys.

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The swap mounts are the same as the ones on my 96 5.0 f150. Goodluck on exhaust gt40p's exhaust has a different bolt pattern than other stock sbf heads.

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Use Mustang mounts if you like.

The swap mounts are the same as the ones on my 96 5.0 f150. Goodluck on exhaust gt40p's exhaust has a different bolt pattern than other stock sbf heads.
This is wrong. Bolts patterns are the same. "P" heads have different spark plug angles that affect header fit. This is a non-issue for some who have done it. Search Ranger and Mustang sites for more info.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Goodluck on exhaust gt40p's exhaust has a different bolt pattern than other stock sbf heads.
This is a completely false statement. The only difference is spark plug angle. Mine went on using the same valve covers, rocker arms, and headers I had on my stock E7TE's. I had to use a shorty plug on cylinder 7 and plug wires from a 1989 Blazer for clearance. Most long tube headers will have no clearance issues whatsoever. I'm still using shorties, hence the mods. I would use long tubes or stock Explorer manifolds. Problem solved. I'm unfortunately not the one to ask about what headers will fit the Ranger, but there are plenty of guys using the combo in Rangers so I'm sure they will chime in soon.

Here is a pic of cylinder 7:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals