• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

24in of vacuum at idle too high for the 2.8L?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I was reading in the "How to Build and Modify Ford V6 Engines" and he said there is one oil gallery that feeds the rocker shaft and all the components under the valve cover.

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I was reading in the "How to Build and Modify Ford V6 Engines" and he said there is one oil gallery that feeds the rocker shaft and all the components under the valve cover.
Ok, that makes sense. I wonder why it is then that the middle cylinder is having such an issue when you can see that the other two are getting oil, and are atleast not corroded. The ticking is loud. Too loud. And gets worse the longer I drive.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ok, that makes sense. I wonder why it is then that the middle cylinder is having such an issue. The ticking is loud. Too loud. And gets worse the longer I drive.
I don't understand why it looks so crusty and rusted? Where did the water or moisture come from to create the rust? Is the water causing the sludge build-up with the oil also?

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I don't understand why it looks so crusty and rusted? Where did the water or moisture come from to create the rust? Is the water causing the sludge build-up with the oil also?
no, the oil Is clean, and there’s no other signs of water leakage any where else. The bronco did sit for 14 years, it’s possibly it built up condensation. However if that’s the case the. I don’t understand why it’s only the center cylinder that’s corroded. Im thinking that somehow the corrosion is what’s causing the tick

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I’m thinking that the rocker arm shaft is clogged up and starving the entire valve train of oil. It seams somewhat simple to remove and replace, I’m just going to go for it. Ill replace those two rocker arms while I’m at it. Worst case scenario, I put it back together and it still ticks.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
That looks to me like you have either water or coolant in the oil. If the pcv system is plugged or restricted moisture can build up, that would be the good news. Otherwise a gasket failure or crack could be allowing coolant to ooze into the oil. Finding the source of the milk shake is first priority, the tick just slipped into second place.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I dunno, the other two cylinders look well oiled with no corrosion. Does someone have an oil flow diagram for this engine? How do the outter rockers get oil and the center two not?

Does it require clearance to allow oil to get out? I know I've seen that on other engines where it squirted out oil when the pushrods had no force on them at th base circle of the cam.

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I dunno, the other two cylinders look well oiled with no corrosion. Does someone have an oil flow diagram for this engine? How do the outter rockers get oil and the center two not?

Does it require clearance to allow oil to get out? I know I've seen that on other engines where it squirted out oil when the pushrods had no force on them at th base circle of the cam.
From what I understand, oil is fed into the rocker shaft through the center bolt, and then Travels to each end.. from the shaft, the oil travels through the front hole that you can see on the rocker arms, then travels down each rocker arm and onto the valves. I believe the corrosion is clogging these holes on the center rocker arms.

There is corrosion because the bronco sat stagnant for 14 years with alot the vacuum/ breather lines unplugged. There is no water in the oil

Last edited:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
From what I understand, oil is fed into the rocker shaft through the center bolt, and then Travels to each end.. from the shaft, the oil travels through the front hole that you can see on the rocker arms, then travels down each rocker arm and onto the valves. I believe the corrosion is clogging these holes on the center rocker arms.

There is corrosion because the bronco sat stagnant for 14 years with alot the vacuum/ breather lines unplugged. There is no water in the oil
I'd probably pull that rocker assembly off and clean up the parts - the center two at least, then readjust and do a compression check. If it had no clearance it could have a burned exhaust valve. Looking again it does seem to have oil, it's just ugly.

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
@8thTon @franklin2 @19Walt93

So, I removed the rocker assembly and cleaned it up really well, here’s an after picture

Nothing looked beat up, the shaft or holes were not clogged. Afterwards I re-adjusted everything very carefully with the feeler gauge. Started it up, of course it ticked at first because I cleaned a lot of the oil off in the process.. but then, it got quiet, and sounded really good!!

for a few minutes... no sooner than I started driving it, the tick came right back. At this point, I’m thinking that whoever did the last oil change put the wrong stuff in. My last attempt to fix the tick is going to be an oil change with 10W-30 and a high mileage treatment.

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I was also about to install a mechanical oil gauge... however I lost one of the two really tiny compression sleeves.. so that’s gonna have to happen another day. I don’t think oil pressure is an issue though

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Can you use a piece of tubing to tell where it's coming from at all?

Also an exhaust leak can sound an awful lot like a tap - given the time/heat characteristic it might be a good possibility.

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Can you use a piece of tubing to tell where it's coming from at all?
I’m only 75% sure its coming from the valve train. I became just a little more certain today when I started it Up and it became quiet for a second, which has never happened as long as I’ve owned it. My next best guess would be the flywheel... it has a newer stater on it, however, is kind of has a screechy start. Just by ear, laying underneath, I could see the flywheel being a possibility

SgtDan94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The bronco passed smog just fine, it has a lot of power and runs good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals