• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

.243 v .270

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I Shot both today and the recoil seemed way worse than the .243 ( first time shooting a rifle besides a .22) what is everyone else's opinion?

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
It depends what you are hunting/shooting. For california most guys dont need anything larger than a .243 cause we have smaller game. However a .270 is a awesome gun and can be used for just about anything.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I Need to get used to the recoil, i kept getting afraid the scope was gonna come back and hit me in the dome! fail me.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
both fairly flat shooting cartridges, depends what your using them for.
Grab a limbsaver if the recoil of the .270 is too much, that and a scope with plenty of eye relief.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
.270 and 30-06 all the way.
recoil on a .270 is not bad at all...

Braeden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
The .243 is a good round. My dad and I both have taken good sized elk with them. I would recommend it. But if you hunt anything bigger than an elk go for the .270 would be a better choice

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
4.0 if u think a 270 doesnt kick bad u havent shot one like mine. it is build for a 6'2 guy it was my grandpas it kicks worse than my 300 and 50 cal but in its defense it has a pure steel butt plate

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The .243 is a good round. My dad and I both have taken good sized elk with them. I would recommend it. But if you hunt anything bigger than an elk go for the .270 would be a better choice
.243 will take an elk but why risk tracking those big bastards into hard to reach places. .243 is good for varmints and yotes on up to antelope and deer. While the .270 is about the minimum I would want to shoot a Rocky Mountain Elk with. They have thick hides and I like to see anything I shoot DRT. Dead Right There.
If you are hunting anything bigger than elk, which on this continent is what? Grizzly? Moose?.....I would use a 300WM.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are hunting anything bigger than elk, which on this continent is what? Grizzly? Moose?.....I would use a 300WM.
Bison, and if I went hunting for one of those I would have to do it right and use a big bore cartridge.

45-70, 45-90, 45-110... preferably out of a Sharps. :icon_thumby:

It would pretty much be a once in a lifetime type deal, using a modern 30-06 or whatever would cheapen the experiance. The big fellers are more than capable of killing bison... heck they are what wiped them out.

I wouldn't be afraid of a '06 or .270 for anything on this island.

Last edited:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i'm too used to a shotgun, and i don't shoot that much to begin with, so i just need to get used to the recoil.

plus we can't even really use a rifle around here anyways, so having a rifle down here isn't that useful unless you're traveling.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I Shot both today and the recoil seemed way worse than the .243 ( first time shooting a rifle besides a .22) what is everyone else's opinion?
If the recoil was enough that it was bothering you, you are probably holding the rifle wrong.

People also like to say that M91/30s and M1891s kick like a horse, those people weren't holding them right.

was the stock plastic? anything that makes the gun lighter is going to make recoil worse.

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Have someone that has shot a lot go with you to the range. Have he/she watch you and see if you're holding the rifle properly.

Don't be afraid of the recoil. It's a frame of mind. At least to me. I've been shooting for almost 40 years and I've shot everything from a .22 to a .300wm.

Only use a rest to sight the gun in. Get used to NOT using that rest. Practice, practice, practice.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
.270 has recoil??

You want recoil, try shooting a slug out of a rifled slug barrel on a 12 gauge wearing a t-shirt. Or a 7mm mag. I've shot both. 5 rounds of slugs is enough fun for me for one day. A box of 7mm is all I want to shoot at one sitting too. I've shot .270 and 30-06 for 40 rounds (2 boxes) in one day a couple times, no problem. Of course, the gun has a lot to do with it, I know someone with a "featherweight" .308 bolt action (light weight, short barrel) that sucks to shoot (same as or worse than slugs out of a rifled 12 gauge).

I love the 7mm (prefer Weatherby over Remington), but it's a bit overkill for anything around here and it's a bit pricey to shoot (a box of factory 7mm weatherby mag goes for around $60 around here, when you can find them).

.270 rounds are common (more so around here than .243) and a pretty good round (especially with premium bullets). A .270 is essentially (not exactly, but close) a necked-down 30-06 cartridge.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have someone that has shot a lot go with you to the range. Have he/she watch you and see if you're holding the rifle properly.

Don't be afraid of the recoil. It's a frame of mind. At least to me. I've been shooting for almost 40 years and I've shot everything from a .22 to a .300wm.

Only use a rest to sight the gun in. Get used to NOT using that rest. Practice, practice, practice.
I Wasn't holding the .270 right but i only shot it about 5 times.

it was a composite stock. newer gun

the .243 was better after i got it right, it has a wood stock w/ like soft rubber butt on it. just the end of it. ( it's a '76 Winchester, that's all i know about it ) shot about...15-20 if not more through it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals