• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

225/75R15 All Terrain Tire Selection

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am trying to decide whether I need to buy new tires or not. I drove by BII to work today, and I'm getting some pretty bad vibrations above 55 mph.

The tires that are currently on it are 225/75R15 Cooper Discoverer ATR. They are almost brand new as far as tread, but they were bought in 2012 or 2013 and have sat on black top and not driven. They began to loose air pressure at some point and set semi flat for a long time until I went and picked up the BII in June.

They inflate and hold air great, they have no dry rotting or cracking on the sidewalls (just slight cracking on a couple of places in the tread), but I'm afraid that they developed some bad flat spots from sitting so long.

This brings me to my current dilemma, I really like tire size of 225/75R15 on my stock BII, fills the wheel wells out good and not too big to bog the rig down. Trouble is there aren't many tire manufacturers out there still making this size......

My choices that I have been able to find are:

1) Firestone Destination AT

2) Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT

3) Goodyear Wrangler SR-A (sort of an all terrain)

4) Toyo Open Country AT II (currently have these on my F150 in a larger size)

I've owned BFG, Toyo, Nitto, and Cooper in the past.

I'm looking for a fairly quiet tire that will give me good service on the road mostly and on forest roads for when I fish in the mountains. I like the Toyos I have but are extremely loud for an AT on my 16 F150. They sound like MT's on it and have about 20k miles on them.

I know 235/75R15 has a millions choices out there, but I really want to stay with the 225/75R15.

Any one with experience with the other tires?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I know youre against 235/75's but...

The goodyear wrangler radial is the best all around performing tire i have ever owned. Its as good as my BFG A/Ts in the snow and lasts longer.

But they only make them in 235/75R15s. If they made them bigger id promptly switch from BFG A/Ts. Plus the goodyears are like 90 a tire.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know youre against 235/75's but...

The goodyear wrangler radial is the best all around performing tire i have ever owned. Its as good as my BFG A/Ts in the snow and lasts longer.

But they only make them in 235/75R15s. If they made them bigger id promptly switch from BFG A/Ts. Plus the goodyears are like 90 a tire.

Those are the ones that used to come stock on Jeeps right?

I've considered those but have read mixed reviews. Heard they cup easily.

I did just noticed that Walmart has the Firestones for $90 a tire in 225/75R15. Hard to beat that.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've not ever owned a Goodyear tire that was round.

I would suggest the BFG if available, or the Destination AT. I hear a lot of good on various Cooper AT tires too.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You know a 235/75 is only .5 inches taller than a 225/75. So 1/4" taller mounted. That's not even enough to really mess with your speedo (it would read 2% faster or 1mph off at 65mph).

Just saying...

I had 225/70/15's and switched to 235/75/15 because of the larger selection. That's a 1.5" difference and I can't tell a difference at all in power and my speedo is only off about 4mph at 65.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I've not ever owned a Goodyear tire that was round.

I would suggest the BFG if available, or the Destination AT. I hear a lot of good on various Cooper AT tires too.
That’s my opinion on Goodyear too, and I like Cooper tires. But the new Wraglers that were on my Ranger when I bought it have been pretty flawless. Perfectly smooth and they actually handle quite well, and work well in rain and snow too. We’ll see how they hold up, but I would buy another set so far.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull your tires and check inside for mud pack. I had some tires with bad vibration and the worst was 8.25oz on inside and 5oz on opposite side for a combined 13.25oz out of balance. Majority of imbalance was mud. They can eye for out of round at the same time.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull your tires and check inside for mud pack. I had some tires with bad vibration and the worst was 8.25oz on inside and 5oz on opposite side for a combined 13.25oz out of balance. Majority of imbalance was mud. They can eye for out of round at the same time.
I'm going to pull them off this weekend and rotate them. I wouldn't be surprised to see dirt dobbers nest either.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as BFG or cooper, they don't offer anything in the 225/75R15 for all terrain tires.

I know the 235 is very close in size, would just rather stay with 225's for now.

I think stock size was 205/75R15 so the 225 are enough in my opinion.

brewsky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had 2 sets of wranglers.......great snow traction and decent noise and handling, but both sets dry rotted bad in 5 years. And made in usa?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals