• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2150 and Fuel/air mix not right. Cant get jetting right

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
After 30+ years and 290,000 miles timing chains can stretch.

Nevermind...the 2.8 has timing gears...

Youre durasparked so the SPOUT connector shouldnt be in play...

i really have no ideas left.

Im gonna put locktite on the screws that hold the vac advanced can on and then try and adjust my timing. I belive Ive got the idle set to it wont be pulling anything from the ported and then Ill just set it to 10 degrees. Tonight Im just gonna bite the bullet and buy the new engine and all of the stuff my truck needs to go along with it. Ill keep this motor in until I get the new one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need to Choke a cold gasoline engine for startup, period

You remove and plug the vacuum advance hose when timing spark
You time spark with engine warmed up, it matters
Try 12deg BTDC as well as 10deg

Vacuum advance is used for spark timing when engine is under a load, the distributor does RPM spark advance
So you can leave vacuum advance unplugged, engine will be sluggish under acceleration(load) but once at speed it will act normally(low load)
You do this for testing reasons

For manual trans 650rpm warm idle, for automatic 750rpm warm idle in Park, but should be 750 in R or D as well so you may need to use 800rpm in Park

Last edited:

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
UPDATE: I got my ranger running decent. I got it runny happy at 12deg with the idle mix screws set well and holding a good 19-20 inches of vacuum. One thing I noticed now is that the whenever I rev the motor up white-ish smoke comes out of the tail pipe which Im assume could be the overly rich jets or just condensation/moisture inside the exhaust system.
The tail pipe did look wet ish like moisture and I touched it and it didnt feel like oil and I also checked the radiator to see if it was low. It was a little low since when I took the cap off (Its a pressure release cap) it spilled a bit of coolant and a bit of coolant was still in the overflow tank. So Im amusing it was just moisture in the exhaust system.

Another thing I noticed when I looked down my carbs neck. It looked like there was water/moisture inside of it. Like sitting on the venturi/boosters. Not sure if thats normal... It was fully warmed up btw. Ive just never noticed that before.

I still need to test cold/cool starts since they are the hardest with my truck.
I will be buying the whole new motor and all of the stuff like the flywheel, clutch, and waterpump and all of that jazz tonight. Ill pull the only motor once the new one is on its way.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It depends on where you live and the Humidity at the time

Cold glass of beer on a warm day..............
It gets wet on the outside..........thats the humid air depositing its moisture as it is cooled by the cold glass

Its why windshields get fogged up on the inside in winter

Carb gets real cold on the inside from fast flow of air, so as the air cools it deposits it moisture

When you burn a hydrocarbon(H, gasoline) using Oxygen(O) you get a few by-products, one is H2O(water)
This is why exhaust pipes ALWAYS drip out water, and why they RUST from the inside out.

When you shut of the engine the water VAPOR in the exhaust that hasn't come out yet turns to water, and starts the rusting, lol, but also just sits there until you start engine again, then it turns back into the White vapor you see on startup

If the air going INTO the engine is very humid then you get a double whammy because the water can't be burned, it just changes to vapor/steam and exits out the exhaust pipe with the water vapor generated by the gasoline/oxygen, so double water vapor

Last edited:

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
It depends on where you live and the Humidity at the time

Cold glass of beer on a warm day..............
It gets wet on the outside..........thats the humid air depositing its moisture as it is cooled by the cold glass

If why windshields get fogged up on the inside in winter

Carb gets real cold on the inside from fast flow of air, so as the air cools it deposits it moisture

When you burn a hydrocarbon(H, gasoline) using Oxygen(O) you get a few by-products, one is H2O(water)
This is why exhaust pipes ALWAYS drip out water, and why they RUST from the inside out.

When you shut of the engine the water VAPOR in the exhaust that hasn't come out yet turns to water, and starts the rusting, lol, but also just sits there until you start engine again, then it turns back into the White vapor you see on startup

If the air going INTO the engine is very humid then you get a double whammy because the water can't be burned, it just changes to vapor/steam and exits out the exhaust pipe with the water vapor generated by the gasoline/oxygen, so double water vapor
Thats what I was thinking. I just never noticed the water/moisture inside of the carb before. I was pressure it was moisture inside the exhaust system.
lol

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
UPDATE: The timing is all messed up again... I ordered my new motor and all of that stuff and I should get everything by November.

I talked to my friend about whats going on and he agreed what I had suspected the issue could be. One of the springs that hold the weights is broken. Since I do/have heard what sounds like a clicking sound coming from the dizzy when running (idling) and when driving that weight is over advancing the timing and causing that color to the spark plugs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That would make sense, that is RPM advance

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
UPDATE: I pulled the dist. None of the springs are broken but one of them was loose. So Im at a loss. Put one of the springs I got from a recurve kit and its pretty stiff/strong.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Here are some videos of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals