• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Clarification - I was just asking if the heat was still a concern when doing the typical daily charging at night/at home since that would be done on a slower charger that would also be throttled down since you're only adding a few percent anyway. Why is that harmful?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
An alternative to the charging wait time on long trips is battery swapping stations where the battery mounted under the vehicle and can be removed and a charged battery put in it's place. I think the biggest issue with tis is that it would require standardization across manufacturers, and manufactures don't like that.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
An alternative to the charging wait time on long trips is battery swapping stations where the battery mounted under the vehicle and can be removed and a charged battery put in it's place. I think the biggest issue with tis is that it would require standardization across manufacturers, and manufactures don't like that.
Might work well for fleet systems. Delivery trucks, etc where hundreds of them float through the same center on a regular basis and the vehicles are standardized.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Clarification - I was just asking if the heat was still a concern when doing the typical daily charging at night/at home since that would be done on a slower charger that would also be throttled down since you're only adding a few percent anyway. Why is that harmful?
I would say yes you are still going to have some heating when charging a battery on a level 1 or level 2 charging but much less heat would be generated. In my experience the level 2 charger never gets throttled due to heat, even when it was really hot this summer and charging right after a long drive.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think they should put a flashing light and siren on public chargers that go off when EV battery charge is above say 75% when EV is first plugged in, shame the "overchargers" to get out of that spot and let someone else who needs it park there
But if your next trip in the car will require more than 75%, you need to get it charged.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
some chargers have idle fee's potentially up to $1/minute when the charging stations are over 50% capacity

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
7.5 million in 175 weeks is roughly 43k a week.

In a 5 day work week... still nearly 8,600 units day.

Lol... seems monumental to me... along with the other goals.

Hopefully the crew doesn't drink much... they still don't have any water.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But if your next trip in the car will require more than 75%, you need to get it charged.
Take it home first, charge it, pack for your long trip

Sounds like my Daughter, "well what if I need to suddenly go on a long trip, or what if all the gas stations are closed or".................ect
Deal with it at that time until then, run vehicle until its under a 1/4 tank, under 1/8 of a tank if you are SMART

Resource HOGS, they are everywhere, full of "what ifs"
Whether its toilet paper or electricity, resource HOGS

A lot of people like to fly the "Be Prepared" flag but that's not what being prepared is all about
Being prepared is being able to do without all the resources when needs be, NOT having EXTRA resources :)

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Why aren't costs discussed? When there's more demand for a commodity, it creates scarcity. Economics 101 would dictate scarcity increases cost. All the pie in the sky stuff is easy and dreamy, but where's the financial argument for moving to electric? Or is it all about climate change and that obscures all other concerns? Electricity is not just going to fall out of the sky and into people's laps.

If you want to learn more, cruise over here. It's more in-line with my application and does a deep dive into battery technology and charging: https://diysolarforum.com

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
run vehicle until its under a 1/4 tank, under 1/8 of a tank if you are SMART
Big fan of changing fuel pumps, eh?

you own a pattern for the quick change fuel. “Change your fuel pump faster then the batteries in a flashlight.”

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Lmao... before I get called out on my last calculation... there is a specific reason why my wife handles our finances. I always think we have more to spend then we really do.

So now I better hurry and cancel that new Bronco before it overdraws our account.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Big fan of changing fuel pumps, eh?

you own a pattern for the quick change fuel. “Change your fuel pump faster then the batteries in a flashlight.”
1994 Ranger still has factory fuel pump, knock on wood, only ever has full tank when on longer road trips, under 1/2 pretty much 99% of the time

I don't think most electric submersible pumps, especially fuel pumps, rely on the liquid they are submersed in for cooling, it would just be a bad design to start with, and no reason in the world to design it that way

I think its just one of those "Well it makes sense" Myths about electric fuel pumps
But if you think more about it why design it that way?

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Take it home first, charge it, pack for your long trip
That’s a very short-sighted view. If I am going somewhere after work or a doctor appointment or something like that and time is limited, then the next leg of the journey needs to be completed without going home to charge first. So, go to the doctor appointment and hook up to the charger in the parking garage, even though I’m still at 75%. Then I can complete the next leg of the journey and charge at my destination.

This is not an extreme or crybaby “what if” situation. This is the way life goes. Being prepared is making sure you have what you need for all reasonable foreseeable scenarios.

I just don’t see total electric cars being viable for the majority for a long, long time. If you want to talk hybrids, I’m onboard.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That’s a very short-sighted view. If I am going somewhere after work or a doctor appointment or something like that and time is limited, then the next leg of the journey needs to be completed without going home to charge first. So, go to the doctor appointment and hook up to the charger in the parking garage, even though I’m still at 75%. Then I can complete the next leg of the journey and charge at my destination.

This is not an extreme or crybaby “what if” situation. This is the way life goes. Being prepared is making sure you have what you need for all reasonable foreseeable scenarios.

I just don’t see total electric cars being viable for the majority for a long, long time. If you want to talk hybrids, I’m onboard.
Define majority...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I prefer no plug-in Hybrids myself, makes way more sense at this time

But as for the 75% thing, if range is 250miles on full charge then at 75% there is 187 miles left
So you have already driven 63 miles assuming round trip is another 63 miles home then you have 124 miles to roam around "town" for appointments before heading back that 63 miles to charge up at home
Let someone else use the public charger :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals