• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I get all my news from the headlines in the tabloids in grocery check out line, I don't actually buy them and read the articles, I am not an idiot, duh
Headlines are enough

Elvis was spotted driving an EV, good enough for me, I am switching to EV(Elvis's vehicle)
Facts are facts

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Ok... everyone needs to take a deep breath.

I would rather not lock this because I still think we can discuss this like adults.

Gonna make sure it cleaned up.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
They also want everyone to set their AC to 78 degrees and we all know that won't happen.

The power companies put out these bulletins in hopes people will reduce their usage. It works surprisingly well and does amount to a reduction that often is the difference between the grid staying up or going down.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes just smiling and nodding isn't the worst thing to do in the world guys.

Play nice or it gets locked for good.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
They also want everyone to set their AC to 78 degrees and we all know that won't happen.

The power companies put out these bulletins in hopes people will reduce their usage. It works surprisingly well and does amount to a reduction that often is the difference between the grid staying up or going down.
Sometimes 'down' is not really down but a rolling blackout to try and manage capacity. I used to work for a power company and rolling blackouts were a relatively unknown technique to most consumers back then (90's). I only found out about it because of where I worked. It was hush hush to the general public. Down is down in the eyes of the customer, rolling or otherwise.

Odd thing about battery technology. Our CEO gave a town hall where he talked about how batteries would be used to store electricity for later consumption. He talked about the technology, the size (quite small) and UPS farms on standby to assist with power generation or replacement in the event of a real outage. Look where we are today.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The fact is California ISO just issued another request to curb electricity consumption next week because their grid can't handle the load and they go and mandate all new vehicle sales will be alternative energy vehicles by 2035?

Again, this is for the hours of peak consumption. People can charge their cars anytime they want, but they are asking people not to use things that take a lot of power, car chargers included, from 4-9 PM. The leaves 19 hours of the day where you can suck up as much current from the grid that you want.

I haven't heard a word about how they plan to accommodate the additional load/stress placed on the system.
Do you know who "they" are? They are private companies that haven't invested in upgrading the electrical system in California because it costs money do to so. They haven't even bothered to replace the hardware on 100 year old transmission towers.

They are PG&E, Edison International, Sempra Electric, and other utility companies that are owned by Wall Street financial investment firms that are only interested in making money. They don't care if lack of maintenance or upgrades results in a city with several million people burning down as long as they make money on it. And if a city that size were to burn down due to their negligence they would sell off their stock so they don't take the loss or financial responsibility for the damage.

This problem isn't limited to California either. It's nationwide to varying degrees and it is the result of years of lobbying and pushing propaganda that regulations are always bad private interests will always result in a better outcome than the public sector. This is the result of the deregulation that Enron pushed for a little over 20 years ago strictly in the interest of manipulating energy availability so they can manipulate energy prices for their profit at the expense of everyone else. We have transitioned from a nation that had the ambition to build railroads across a continent and send a man to the mood to a nation where everything is done just well enough to get and patch holes in crappy workmanship so the investment firms and hedge funds on Wall Street can make more.

As far as the grid goes, it's a problem during peak hours for a few days. Numerous places around the country had the same problem earlier this summer during their heatwaves. Also, it's limited to certain geographic areas. I've never experienced a rolling blackout here.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you read the article it states California's mandate will have an impact nationwide. That's not the same thing a Biden authorizing California the ability to mandate require EVs nationwide. Biden reauthorized California's ability to regulate emissions in California, which California has had the ability to do for decades, and the manufacturers will decide on where they will and will not sell EVs.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm about done removing posts of members attacking others members. Points can be made without doing that.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Again, this is for the hours of peak consumption. People can charge their cars anytime they want, but they are asking people not to use things that take a lot of power, car chargers included, from 4-9 PM. The leaves 19 hours of the day where you can suck up as much current from the grid that you want.

Do you know who "they" are? They are private companies that haven't invested in upgrading the electrical system in California because it costs money do to so. They haven't even bothered to replace the hardware on 100 year old transmission towers.

They are PG&E, Edison International, Sempra Electric, and other utility companies that are owned by Wall Street financial investment firms that are only interested in making money. They don't care if lack of maintenance or upgrades results in a city with several million people burning down as long as they make money on it. And if a city that size were to burn down due to their negligence they would sell off their stock so they don't take the loss or financial responsibility for the damage.

This problem isn't limited to California either. It's nationwide to varying degrees and it is the result of years of lobbying and pushing propaganda that regulations are always bad private interests will always result in a better outcome than the public sector. This is the result of the deregulation that Enron pushed for a little over 20 years ago strictly in the interest of manipulating energy availability so they can manipulate energy prices for their profit at the expense of everyone else. We have transitioned from a nation that had the ambition to build railroads across a continent and send a man to the mood to a nation where everything is done just well enough to get and patch holes in crappy workmanship so the investment firms and hedge funds on Wall Street can make more.

As far as the grid goes, it's a problem during peak hours for a few days. Numerous places around the country had the same problem earlier this summer during their heatwaves. Also, it's limited to certain geographic areas. I've never experienced a rolling blackout here.
I appreciate all the detail. I do but even in the face of all this info, it still doesn't explain how they (the corporations) are going to upgrade the infrastructure to meet the new demand the law imposes. What's next? Mandating private companies to spend billions of dollars to perform infrastructure upgrades to suit California Lawmakers'? That would be, on its face, totalitarian and fascist.

I believe we are still a free republic and a capitalist country, though I do believe there's a concerted effort to subvert those freedoms. The companies will invest, or they won't. Regardless, 'government' has no place to force their hand, through law or otherwise.

I sense we are on opposite sides of this conversation and you advocate for more government control over private enterprise. I have made my rebuttal and no longer wish to debate the issue. It's not a hit and run. I just observe more government control and overreach in your solution and I'm vehemently against that.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Let's keep the discussion civil and have a debate without insulting one another.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I appreciate all the detail. I do but even in the face of all this info, it still doesn't explain how they (the corporations) are going to upgrade the infrastructure to meet the new demand the law imposes. What's next? Mandating private companies to spend billions of dollars to perform infrastructure upgrades to suit California Lawmakers'? That would be, on its face, totalitarian and fascist.

I sense we are on opposite sides of this conversation and you advocate for more government control over private enterprise. I have made my rebuttal and no longer wish to debate the issue. It's not a hit and run. I just observe more government control and overreach in your solution and I'm vehemently against that.
The other option is government can build transmission lines to accomodate the extra load. Barring that, the lights go out.

I'm not really an advocate for government control, but I'm realistic enough to know that if private enterprise doesn't invest in it then the government gets involved. Either through regulation or building infrastructure to accomodate the extra demand. The good news is when California proposed to do just that PG&E jumped into the game. I don't know what came of it, but the last I heard is there's going to be about $2 billion worth of upgrades. At this point I think the curtailment of power generation from hydroelectric plants is going to be a bigger concern.

And, I'm quite the capitalist. I just think capitalism can be done ethically and "free market" shouldn't be a codeword for getting out of accountability or limited to certain players in an industry.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

I do that already in the summer. I spend too much time outside and have deployed to the desert too many times, 68-70 is cold to me. In the winter, I just take less clothes off when I come inside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals