• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2022 Spring Overland Challenge (non-TRS event)

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I hope the buggy runs well so you can concentrate on having fun.
me too, it's been two years since it's run right. I've run about 5 gallons of fuel through it with no codes and no issues, but it's just been a long time since I've had an issue free time with it

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Rausch's fees have gotten nuts too. I'm going to AOAA for the first time this weekend
I’ve been there a bunch of times. It’s not bad, but I don’t think you’ll find anything that challenges your buggy.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I’ve been there a bunch of times. It’s not bad, but I don’t think you’ll find anything that challenges your buggy.
There's quality red trails there. The last time it ran well was the first time I made it up the v notch on crawlers ridge

I haven't even attempted this obstacle yet:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
There's quality red trails there. The last time it ran well was the first time I made it up the v notch on crawlers ridge

I haven't even attempted this obstacle yet:
I meant AOAA.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I meant AOAA.
ahhh, tbh, I'm really not looking forward to driving all over the park. One of the things I like about rausch is how close everything is. I will finally get a chance to use my wolfsnout I've had in my storage box for two years though I guess?

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I have officially decided it will be the Georgia Traverse. May 17-22 Beginning somewhere near Greenville, SC. To help organize and communicate this and future trips, I have created a Facebook group.

Some of you who I know are here in the southeast will receive invitations to join the group. But I may inadvertently miss someone. So, find the group and join.
Hey Eric,
Didn't know if you had the plan together for the Georgia Traverse. Like I said on Facebook I'd like to jump in Friday. I know it's a lot of planning to put this together and I really appreciate you doing it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hey Eric,
Didn't know if you had the plan together for the Georgia Traverse. Like I said on Facebook I'd like to jump in Friday. I know it's a lot of planning to put this together and I really appreciate you doing it.
Ok. I had promised a message obout it today. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked with flat tire repairs and going to DMV to get my motorcycle learner's permit.

As I mentioned on the FB event posting, I believe I may stay in a hotel in Summerville, GA Thursday night. That will give me a chance for a shower to freshen up for the return half of the trip. What time of day, roughly, do you think you would be able to meet? The first few hours on Friday, I expect to be mostly pavement driving. If you look at the step-by-step directions on the Traverse map, I would expect to be at the step that says "Mill Creek Rd to Concord Rd via Dalton, GA" somewhere around noon. Then continue on and do the northern portion of "The Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness Loop" on Friday. There is a USFS campground over near the east end of the loop that I want to camp in Friday night. I'm just looking at a printout if the step-by-step guide right now and didn't write down the name of that campground yet.

I will look at the map and pinpoint some possible meeting points tomorrow morning before I do anything else. That Wilderness loop looks like it might be interesting and you won't want to miss it. So we'll be sure to meet up before that point for sure. So far, it looks like I'll be solo up to that point. So I can flex my speeds and schedule a good bit.

I had a friend who was interested in coming. But she doesn't want to subject her Jeep to these conditions (anything rougher than a freshly groomed gravel rd is too much for her Jeep, in her opinion). And she wouldn't be able to ride 6 days in my single cab Ranger with a 40lb dog standing in her lap with head hanging out the window.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Ok. I had promised a message obout it today. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked with flat tire repairs and going to DMV to get my motorcycle learner's permit.

As I mentioned on the FB event posting, I believe I may stay in a hotel in Summerville, GA Thursday night. That will give me a chance for a shower to freshen up for the return half of the trip. What time of day, roughly, do you think you would be able to meet? The first few hours on Friday, I expect to be mostly pavement driving. If you look at the step-by-step directions on the Traverse map, I would expect to be at the step that says "Mill Creek Rd to Concord Rd via Dalton, GA" somewhere around noon. Then continue on and do the northern portion of "The Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness Loop" on Friday. There is a USFS campground over near the east end of the loop that I want to camp in Friday night. I'm just looking at a printout if the step-by-step guide right now and didn't write down the name of that campground yet.

I will look at the map and pinpoint some possible meeting points tomorrow morning before I do anything else. That Wilderness loop looks like it might be interesting and you won't want to miss it. So we'll be sure to meet up before that point for sure. So far, it looks like I'll be solo up to that point. So I can flex my speeds and schedule a good bit.

I had a friend who was interested in coming. But she doesn't want to subject her Jeep to these conditions (anything rougher than a freshly groomed gravel rd is too much for her Jeep, in her opinion). And she wouldn't be able to ride 6 days in my single cab Ranger with a 40lb dog standing in her lap with head hanging out the window.
Sorry to hear about your tire mishap. Glad it was still under road hazard warranty. I will start looking at the map and seeing how long it will take me to get there. I'm gonna take off Friday but may have to wait till around lunchtime to leave. Depending on better half work schedule and kids schedule as well. I'll try and get that together this week.
As far as your friend from what I've seen on video most of it is freshly paved gravel with the exception of Charlie's Creek and Tray Mountain rd. Besides that I can Livey ride with me haha.
Randy is going to try and get his ujoints replaced if he does he will probably come.
I did share your post with acouple local groups I ride with to see if we have anymore takers.
Thanks again for putting this together.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo

Looking forward to catching up with you Friday. Be safe and put some pics up if you get a chance so I can prepare myself hahaha. Me and my son are getting excited for the escape from the hustle of day to day life and hitting some trails and seeing some nature. Randy is still wishy washy. He's worried about his harmonic balancer. He's going to drive it in tomorrow and we're gonna check it out. Hopefully he can tag along too. That's going to determine our departure time.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Looking forward to catching up with you Friday. Be safe and put some pics up if you get a chance so I can prepare myself hahaha. Me and my son are getting excited for the escape from the hustle of day to day life and hitting some trails and seeing some nature. Randy is still wishy washy. He's worried about his harmonic balancer. He's going to drive it in tomorrow and we're gonna check it out. Hopefully he can tag along too. That's going to determine our departure time.
Sounds good. I just made a huge packing list. So, hopefully, I won't forget anything tomorrow morning. Camera, radio and Sawzall batteries are all charging. Looking forward to seeing all 3 of you.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Completed the Traverse in the westward direction. Turned around and headed back. Stopped in Summerville, GA for one night of air conditioned luxury and some parts for a possible trail repair to the Ranger. Something is leaking on passenger side rear. Not sure if it's brake cylinder or axle seal. I'm prepared to repair either as necessary once I have help to bleed brakes.

Half way into Alabama
20220519_143943.jpg

Looking back toward GA.
20220519_144017.jpg

The sign welcoming me back to some county in Georgia.
20220519_144002.jpg

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Completed the Traverse in the westward direction. Turned around and headed back. Stopped in Summerville, GA for one night of air conditioned luxury and some parts for a possible trail repair to the Ranger. Something is leaking on passenger side rear. Not sure if it's brake cylinder or axle seal. I'm prepared to repair either as necessary once I have help to bleed brakes.

Half way into Alabama
View attachment 76583

Looking back toward GA.
View attachment 76584

The sign welcoming me back to some county in Georgia.
View attachment 76585
I will be there around lunchtime tomorrow. Do I need bring any tools just in case? I will have a socket set and my hand tools with me.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I will be there around lunchtime tomorrow. Do I need bring any tools just in case? I will have a socket set and my hand tools with me.
Bring cold beer... that is all.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Gump understands. I should have all the necessary tools. And, although I don't have any beer with me, I have been working my way through a bottle of stuff from Sugar Tit Distillery in Riedville, SC. I sure hope nobody breaks into my kitchen box out there in the parking lot tonight.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
The critter is rested up and ready for another day. All we gotta do is carry all this camping gear back down the steps and load the truck. They couldn't give me a ground floor room last night.

20220520_071723.jpg

Breakfast by Sugarville Bakery in Summerville, GA. I need to figure out how to make donuts over a campfire.
20220520_070801.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals