• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2022 F-150 XL 4x4 3.3 - new work truck

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
I'm back behind the wheel of a Ford for the first time in some years.

When I found out the company was getting me of a van and into an F150, I was pretty stoked. When I later discovered it had the meager 3.3 V6 under the hood, I became less than enthused. But, it's not terrible. Even though it's an XL withe vinyl seats and rubber floors, it has the 101A high package with SYNC4 and Ford Co-Pilot 360 2.0 (360 degree cameras, lane-assist, and all that stuff). It's also got the heated LED spotlight mirrors, towing package, 6480 GVWR payload package, and the pro-trailer backup. It even has the e-locker in the rear. Other options I can think of are the spray-in bedliner and power tailgate lock.

I really enjoy driving it, so much that it has me thinking about my options in terms of replacing my current personal truck.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The 3.3L makes almost 300 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque… it’s considered a low power engine today. It’s about equal to the old 300 in torque with 2x the horsepower. It’s a good base engine.

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
The 3.3L makes almost 300 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque… it’s considered a low power engine today. It’s about equal to the old 300 in torque with 2x the horsepower. It’s a good base engine.
We didn't custom-order it, so I had no idea how it would be equipped. We got a couple of these as leftovers because another company had ordered them through but didn't take delivery.

I was just hoping for an Ecoboost or a 5.0. But, the 3.3 is not anemic like I expected, and has no trouble getting up to 70 on the highways down here, even with the bed, back seat area, and side compartments of the cap full of tools and equipment.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome back John. Shame they didn't toss in the back massage

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
When i was researching F150s a while back the general opinion of most folks was the 3.3 was the most reliable and least problem prone of the newer engines they use in them.

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
Welcome back John. Shame they didn't toss in the back massage
Thanks. The seats are comfortable, not as comfortable as the zero-gravity sears in my Titan XD, but overall the truck feels like a Cadillac or a Lincoln compared to banging around in a cargo van for the last two decades.

When i was researching F150s a while back the general opinion of most folks was the 3.3 was the most reliable and least problem prone of the newer engines they use in them.
That makes sense, as It seems extremely popular with companies, fleets, etc. It's pretty basic except for the annoying start-stop, so there's less to go wrong.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks. The seats are comfortable, not as comfortable as the zero-gravity sears in my Titan XD, but overall the truck feels like a Cadillac or a Lincoln compared to banging around in a cargo van for the last two decades.

That makes sense, as It seems extremely popular with companies, fleets, etc. It's pretty basic except for the annoying start-stop, so there's less to go wrong.
Start stop is very annoying. In my jeep theres a button to push to stop it but it resets everytime you shut off and restart. Theres times ill forget and ill stop at a light or whatever and start cussing cause i think it stalled lol

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Start/stop is B/S and is only on vehicles because the cost of replacing batteries and starters isn't a concern for the EPA, just gas mileage. The new Motorcraft battery I put in my truck last year has a sticker saying the warranty is void if used in a start/stop vehicle.
Compared to the "good old days" in the 70's, there are no engines with reliability problems. Lima 2.3's, 200 and 250 sixes had piston slap problems severe enough for Ford to release a program to replace all the pistons and rods. 302's and 351w's had rail rockers that tore up valve guides in 30,000 miles and nylon timing gears good for 50k max. 351m's and 400's had blocks cracking in the lifter valley that leaked coolant into the oil. Yes, they were easier to work on but they needed a lot of work.

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
Start stop is very annoying. In my jeep theres a button to push to stop it but it resets everytime you shut off and restart. Theres times ill forget and ill stop at a light or whatever and start cussing cause i think it stalled lol
My wife's Honda Pilot and the Durango I bought for my stepson both have it. I had to replace the main battery in the Durango (under the front passenger seat which was a gigantic pain in the ass). The Durango has a second smaller battery that is supposedly for the start/stop. None of the parts stores had it in stock. O'Reilly said they could order it, but then called me a week later to tell me it wasn't available. Fortunately, we haven't had any issues.

Start/stop is B/S and is only on vehicles because the cost of replacing batteries and starters isn't a concern for the EPA, just gas mileage. The new Motorcraft battery I put in my truck last year has a sticker saying the warranty is void if used in a start/stop vehicle.
Compared to the "good old days" in the 70's, there are no engines with reliability problems. Lima 2.3's, 200 and 250 sixes had piston slap problems severe enough for Ford to release a program to replace all the pistons and rods. 302's and 351w's had rail rockers that tore up valve guides in 30,000 miles and nylon timing gears good for 50k max. 351m's and 400's had blocks cracking in the lifter valley that leaked coolant into the oil. Yes, they were easier to work on but they needed a lot of work.
Lots of people try and cheap out and buy a different battery for their vehicles with start/stop instead of the more expensive AGM battery that is requred. I bet that's the reason for the sticker.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My wife's Honda Pilot and the Durango I bought for my stepson both have it. I had to replace the main battery in the Durango (under the front passenger seat which was a gigantic pain in the ass). The Durango has a second smaller battery that is supposedly for the start/stop. None of the parts stores had it in stock. O'Reilly said they could order it, but then called me a week later to tell me it wasn't available. Fortunately, we haven't had any issues.

Lots of people try and cheap out and buy a different battery for their vehicles with start/stop instead of the more expensive AGM battery that is requred. I bet that's the reason for the sticker.
My jeeps is under the seat to. Very dumb design

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the cyclone n/a engine 3.3 3.5 and 3.7 are extraordinarily under rated and under appreciated. as you have noted, even the smallest duratech 33 does really well. they are to me the modern 302 windsor.

the nano engines are decent as well. with the hybrid technology expanding....things should get interesting.

i guessed years ago they would be a thing by now as they were so damn cheap for a long time.....but i just dont think people realize how capable they are. of course they are difficult to package and potentially a bit high to tune, but will take boost and power levels to 500 ish. very impressive in the 3.7 mustang world.. but they are born in those....you just add aftermarket turbo and tuning...which is cheaper then most would think...i expected guys with pickups to do more remote mount stuff...for super sleepers...but not so much. its too bad. seeing a low 13 to mid 12 second truck that is a stripper with simply the addition of 2500 dollars in turbo and tuning and stuff, is as cheap as it can get.

they do, like most of the variable cam engines, benefit from 3-5 k oil changes...possibly more frequent with boost abuse. and definitely need plug changes with boost.

overall.....for big pickups like the 250 and up...ford quality and working class stock offering seats are a joke the last 4 or 5 years... pretty sure my company is going back to gm for the most part because of the garbage fords in our fleets. kind of a bummer. they simply have too much down time. though your options seem pretty good overall.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I just about picked up a F150 that had a n/a 3.5 in it recently... couldn't commit to another single cab. I read that a lot of people are very happy with them and it was a really nice looking truck, single cab 4x4 with an 8' bed. Just like a truck should be.

As far as brand loyalty goes I wish my company would quit buying GM. My service truck has cost us over $10,000 in repairs in the last two years and the other two Chevy vans are falling apart but only have just over 100k on them so I guess we have to keep them. We have several other Chrysler vans and my '18 Ram, all more or less trouble free. Not many Fords in the fleet. The constant churning mess that Chrysler is aside, I think they have made the more reliable vehicles.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My jeeps is under the seat to. Very dumb design
On the flipside they seem to last longer not having to sit in the heat and dirt of the engine bay. :dntknw:

I haven't been super impressed with GM stuff. With the newer ones I am not sure if any two trucks actually have the same brake parts.

Kinda weird, for the last several months we have a string of GM's needing engines/transmissions. Kind of a strange way to keep a CDJR shop busy in the winter but if it works it works I guess.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I haven't been super impressed with GM stuff. With the newer ones I am not sure if any two trucks actually have the same brake parts.
You have worked on fords right? Lol.

You pretty much have to know build date, build plant, and who bolted the part on at the factory.

I love when i go to get parts for my 97 F250 HD and tell them its a 460 and they are like "uhh we only show the 5.4"

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You have worked on fords right? Lol.

You pretty much have to know build date, build plant, and who bolted the part on at the factory.

I love when i go to get parts for my 97 F250 HD and tell them its a 460 and they are like "uhh we only show the 5.4"
That’s changed in the past 15 years. It used to be that Ford never built the same part twice, they’ve learned better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals