• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2020 Ranger tow packages.

ranger bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 1991 1986
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
4.0 2.9 2.8
Transmission
Manual
I have been checking out some 2020 rangers and have yet to run into a real knowledgeable sales person. I was told Ford does not have a brake controller for the Ranger,. If one were so desired could one be easily installed. If one were to rarely pull a car trailer, brakes would be nice. Does the tow package just include a hitch and wiring or is there more to it? Is there wiring in the cab for a brake controller.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's just the hitch and wiring. I think the system in the info center for configuring the trailer with the sensors is all part of the system regardless as to whether you get the tow package or not.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ranger bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 1991 1986
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
4.0 2.9 2.8
Transmission
Manual
I searched online some more and apparently ford does have a brake controller for the Ranger for $350 or so with some wiring. I believe you do need the tow package for the controller to work???

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
i have the tow package so not on plug ends. but i bought the ford trailer brake set up and had ford install it so no warranty problems. controller was $339 and $185 for them to install it. more than i won'ted to spend but have fords warranty.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
It's just the hitch and wiring. I think the system in the info center for configuring the trailer with the sensors is all part of the system regardless as to whether you get the tow package or not.
It's actually more than that. The bottom half of the lower bumper is different to tuck the hitch up nice and tight. Ford did a great job on this.

An aftermarket hitch hangs down like a ruptured duck.

Check out the photo below.

Factory vs Aftermarket Hitch.jpg

ranger bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 1991 1986
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
4.0 2.9 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Just a little warning for anyone thinking of buying a ranger XL and wanting the tow package. Get the tow package!! Adding the tow package after is not that simple. Ford made it difficult for the XL truck buyers. You can add the hitch and the seven way plug rather easily, but some of the wiring does not exist. You can buy a short harness that goes from the rear of the truck to the seven way plug, but it does not give you seven way plug capabilities. The XL harness lacks the front portion of the harness that stops under the cab near the drivers seat. and runs to the fuse box and contains the brake control wires that would run into the cab. XLTs and Lariats have the wiring whether you have a tow package or not, but not the XL without the tow package.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Just a little warning for anyone thinking of buying a ranger XL and wanting the tow package. Get the tow package!! Adding the tow package after is not that simple. Ford made it difficult for the XL truck buyers. You can add the hitch and the seven way plug rather easily, but some of the wiring does not exist. You can buy a short harness that goes from the rear of the truck to the seven way plug, but it does not give you seven way plug capabilities. The XL harness lacks the front portion of the harness that stops under the cab near the drivers seat. and runs to the fuse box and contains the brake control wires that would run into the cab. XLTs and Lariats have the wiring whether you have a tow package or not, but not the XL without the tow package.
Sound advice.

Also, if you get the FX4 package on an XL you get the upgraded instrument cluster. But not all the dopey lane monitoring, adaptive cruise, etc. It's the perfect blend of low tech and economy.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Sound advice.

Also, if you get the FX4 package on an XL you get the upgraded instrument cluster. But not all the dopey lane monitoring, adaptive cruise, etc. It's the perfect blend of low tech and economy.
Mine came with the lane monitoring but that might have been because of the Co-Pilot 360. The FX4 Package does some force some upgrades due to the requirement of getting the STX package but I forget what all comes with that. With the tall bed sides and the small rear windows, I'm glad I got the Co-Pilot 360 with the damn "Road Warriors" and "parking lot racers" that are out there anymore.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Mine came with the lane monitoring but that might have been because of the Co-Pilot 360. The FX4 Package does some force some upgrades due to the requirement of getting the STX package but I forget what all comes with that. With the tall bed sides and the small rear windows, I'm glad I got the Co-Pilot 360 with the damn "Road Warriors" and "parking lot racers" that are out there anymore.
HenryMac is correct that you do not get the lane monitoring with the XL, it is included in the Co-Pilot 360 that comes on an XLT. I had it on a BMW rental for a business trip last year and hated it. The Bimmer had auto stop/start which I hated also and turned off every time I started it so I didn't think I'd like it on the Ranger but honestly the Ranger's system is a lot smoother than the BMW's.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
HenryMac is correct that you do not get the lane monitoring with the XL, it is included in the Co-Pilot 360 that comes on an XLT. I had it on a BMW rental for a business trip last year and hated it. The Bimmer had auto stop/start which I hated also and turned off every time I started it so I didn't think I'd like it on the Ranger but honestly the Ranger's system is a lot smoother than the BMW's.
Being that my truck is a custom order, it comes up as a Lariat even though it's an XL with the STX, FX4 package, and Co-Pilot 360 package. I'm sure it's going to cause someone headaches in the future if I ever sell it. LOL

Probably not as bad as when Ford did multiple changes in one model year and the month it was made, made a difference when it came to getting parts. But if they go off what the VIN tells you, they are going to have some headaches.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Being that my truck is a custom order, it comes up as a Lariat even though it's an XL with the STX, FX4 package, and Co-Pilot 360 package. I'm sure it's going to cause someone headaches in the future if I ever sell it. LOL

Probably not as bad as when Ford did multiple changes in one model year and the month it was made, made a difference when it came to getting parts. But if they go off what the VIN tells you, they are going to have some headaches.
I spent months playing around building Rangers on Ford's website and ended up with a slightly used (5000 miles) 2020 that with two exceptions was exactly what I would have ordered anyway and I saved a few thou.
STX, 4x4, tow package, blue (or red), no step bars. Step bars are only good for getting my pants dirty in the winter. Didn't want the Co-Pilot 360 so an XLT was out. I would have left off the Bed Utility Package, although I've gotten use out of the bed plug in my Sport Tracs. I don't need a bed liner, and would have got the locking rear diff. Realistically I don't go off-roading any more and the main purpose of the 4wd is to get around in snow.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals