• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2020 Ranger (outside of gas station) refueling puzzle

James Fremont

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R16
Hi all,
This is actually more like a question for me...

A couple of days ago I was trying to refuel my truck (2020 Ranger XL) with a portable gas tank (the Fire Engine red Jerry gas can from Harbor Freight). This was the first refuel attempt outside of a gas station.

I struggled a long time and just couldn’t insert the nozzle into the refuel port deep enough to start a proper fueling as there is a locking mechanism at the base of the Jerry can nozzle that needs to engage (by seating and pressing against the refuel port mouth) to allow for fuel flow. When that failed, alternatively I then tried to use a plain old funnel with a pig-tail tube. That too, failed at the same problem – I was not able to insert the tube much beyond the fuel tank filler valve, maybe half an inch only.

The Owner’s Manual has a rather detail description and illustrations about the refueling system but I don’t see it mentioning anything about “adverse effects of inserting any objects other than fuel pump nozzles”, so I thought refueling from a portable fuel can should be doable. I tried to see what could be blocking the Jerry can nozzle entry by poking my finger into the port. Behind the filler valve (which is in plain sight as it is in place of a filler cap) I felt a flap blocking the passage. In normal fuel pump refueling the pump nozzle can be fully inserted rather smoothly so I assume this flap maybe spring loaded and will give when pushed. However, it would not budge by my finger’s pushing. I wonder whether there is some kind of interlocking mechanism behind the filler valve that prevents "unintended objects" from tempering or entering the refuel pipe. But as far as I could tell, a Jerry can nozzle is almost identical in shape and size to a pump nozzle.

Has anyone have the same experience? It is hard to believe that the refueling system is designed in a way so to deny refueling outside of a gas station. Admittedly, I haven’t really push the (Jerry can) nozzle hard to force its way in, fearing such an act might damage the system somewhere, but I thought I really shouldn’t have to if I do it right. This is my first encounter of such refueling system – a filler port without a cap - I think it would be wise of me to assume I did it wrong, but then, what would be the right way since I had no trouble doing the same thing with other vehicles ?

Any idea? Thanks!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '17 F-150 has a custom funnel behind the seat. You insert that into the fuel filler, then you can fill from your Jerry can or whatever.

Don't know if Ford includes them on Rangers or in USA...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Make gas cans pour again.

Remove the cap from neck and gas can........fat bastard funnel...

Sharky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
most new vehicles have the anti tamper fuel filler set up, including the Ranger. check the owners manual for the location of the factory funnel
to fuel your Ranger (it is under the rear seat area). there are some aftermarket funnels that will work.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The truck should have come with a funnel for that. Super Crews have them behind the rear seat. Those are intended for just the situation you are trying to attempt. It’s a weird looking black funnel.

James Fremont

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R16
Thank you all, gentlemen, for pointing out the obvious.

Now I feel embarrassed, had I flipped back just a few pages when reading the manual I would have caught the rather plain text and illustration, a bad habit of mine - choosing to read electronic version of a manual over its printed copy for fast/pinpoint search capability.

Excuse me for the bother, and thank you!

rich

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you all, gentlemen, for pointing out the obvious.

Now I feel embarrassed, had I flipped back just a few pages when reading the manual I would have caught the rather plain text and illustration, a bad habit of mine - choosing to read electronic version of a manual over its printed copy for fast/pinpoint search capability.

Excuse me for the bother, and thank you!
Nothing to be embarrassed about. By posting the question and having it answered, you've just facilitated the education of a bunch of idiots like me, and saved us from future road/trail-side frustration.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Don't feel embarrassed about not being able to figure out how to refuel from a gas can, be embarrassed that you ran out of fuel in a new truck with a gas gauge in plain sight JK LOL...

All that anti-theft crap on vehicles now to include the gas tank, yet vehicles are still stolen, makes it harder to work on your own vehicle is all it amounts to...certainly doesn't do anything to stop the thieves, who'll just drill a hole in your gas tank and use a bucket to catch the fuel...and since most fuel tanks now are cheap plastic....its even easier and safer to drill holes in them...that is if a rock doesn't puncture it first HAHA!!!

James Fremont

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R16
You don’t say…

I almost ran into that situation; the truck started warning me about fuel running low with a pop-up message on the information display saying “30 miles to empty”. Due to my circumstantial reason and also thinking that I could just count on the reserve fuel at home as back-up, I didn’t take it to the gas station and refuel at the first chance, I ended up watching the information display counting down on ‘miles to empty’ number to 4 when the truck stopped at the gas pump. I sighed a big relief and shut the engine.

That brings me to another question: there seems to be unspecified amount of fuel reserve in the gas tank, I wonder how much longer the truck can still run when miles-to-empty hit zero? Or, would it just choke on fume and quit right there since it did give plenty warnings?....

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Better to just not touch the fuel reserve or learn the limits. Running the tank so low is hard on the fuel pump since cavitation can happen and it depends on the fuel running through it to keep it cool. Not to mention modern fuel injection systems don't like it when you run them dry.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals