• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Missing 2 of the 6 Bed Tie Down Brackets

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So I see. Thanks for the info.

Then, the factory should put dummy/filler bolts there...

About the four tie-down hooks, I guess Ford has made it a permanent configuration since the year-long parts supply shortage problem can not be resolved. Can other 2020 Ranger owners confirm?
While I can't disagree, fasteners are expensive. Based on what I've paid for fasteners in various projects compared to other materials, fastener cost adds up quick. I doubt Ford or any other vehicle manufacturer is going to agree to pay for that, let alone plastic filler plugs. In the end, it comes down to the bottom line and if they don't have to front the added cost, they aren't going to.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Fasteners are for fat people and guys named Lance.

SymChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
About the four tie-down hooks, I guess Ford has made it a permanent configuration since the year-long parts supply shortage problem can not be resolved. Can other 2020 Ranger owners confirm?
The omission of the 2 tie-downs was a running model change in mid 2019. This was an intended removal, nothing to do with (and prior to the covid-caused) part shortages.

I consider having them as an "early adopter perk" :)
(same with the rear seat fold-down headrests, although I think those were just a delete for 2020 and later, not a mid-year running change)

James Fremont

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R16
Thanks for the clarification.

That might be as well, I am sure I can find good use for the tapped M8-1.25 holes there in no time. Ideas are welcome, of course.

SymChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the clarification.

That might be as well, I am sure I can find good use for the tapped M8-1.25 holes there in no time. Ideas are welcome, of course.
You could get still get the tie-downs if you wanted/needed, but as mentioned earlier they really jacked up the price on them. Most likely why the Ford bean-counters decided to remove them.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The third pair of tie downs, at least in the Supercrew trucks, is of minimal useful value for most people. They are handy for me to keep tool bags and some packs in place near the back but for the average cargo hauling, aren't super useful. The ones in four corners have much more utility.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
This was an intended removal, nothing to do with part shortages.
I'm curious, where's data to back this up? Sure, there was a memo issued in the factory to just install (4). That in no way means it was an intended removal. The brackets are backordered at the dealership, and the prices are soaring on them. If it was "intended", why does the bed still have the tapped holes. There would be cost savings to eliminate those, but they haven't.

Did you know Ford also shipped Rangers without any seam sealers on doors... was that also intended?

Some of Ford's competition has well engineered tie down systems, meanwhile Ford is deleting simple mechanical brackets. It makes no sense at all. It's a truck, made to haul things. Securing those things is very important. Ford did a piss poor job on this IMO.

The third pair of tie downs, at least in the Supercrew trucks, is of minimal useful value for most people. They are handy for me to keep tool bags and some packs in place near the back but for the average cargo hauling, aren't super useful. The ones in four corners have much more utility.
I find "The missing bracket locations" to be more useful than the front or rear hooks. I feel those, especially the front ones, are way to close to the front and rear and would be better if moved away from the bulkheads. Run a strap across the front and they are inches away from the front bulkhead. Especially with a factory ToughBed liner, because they add that big dopey plastic Ford logo before they spray in the liner.

Tie Downs 001.JPG

Ford Logo.JPG

Last edited:

BGTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I disagree. They are perfect center point tie down locations for motorcycles. I want them. 30 bucks a pop for a simple bracket is nuts. My old F150 tie down rings were 7 dollars years ago and I though that was ok.

Abox5

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

I wasn’t going to pay those insane prices for a bent piece of bar stock with two holes in it. So, I made my own. Cost about $12 in materials and about 3 hours to make 2 of them. I bought the bolts at Ace for $4.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
View attachment 70543

I wasn’t going to pay those insane prices for a bent piece of bar stock with two holes in it. So, I made my own. Cost about $12 in materials and about 3 hours to make 2 of them. I bought the bolts at Ace for $4.
Maybe swap your homemade brackets for the front or rear factory ones, then put the factory brackets in the center? The recess that's built into the bed wall allows you to route a larger clevis or use of a heavy / thick rope or strap to be used.

Tie Downs 001.JPG

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
View attachment 70543

If you factor in whatever those 3 hours would of paid you at work, did you still end up saving money?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If you factor in whatever those 3 hours would of paid you at work, did you still end up saving money?
You're assuming he took time away from work to do this. I don't know about you, but I do car projects on my own time. And, most of the time, I enjoy it as a break from other things in life.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
You're assuming he took time away from work to do this.
Eh not quite.

I'm having a hard time trying to think of a way to explain it good lol... hmmm.. damn.

I guess giving an example is the best I can do.. here goes..

It was always "worth it" to me, in the past, to do all my own basic maintenance and whatever repairs I can easily do myself to save the money.. and like you said.. the enjoyment was another factor.

Now, I make quite a bit more at work than I used to. It's now more "worth it" to me to just pay the dealer 65$ to change my oil, rotate tires.. whatever. Id rather spend the money to have more free time. When I can use time from the work week to pay for things I used to pay with from time from my weekends.. I'm all over it.

If two hooks and 4 bolts from ford cost say.. 75$.. and the OP makes 33.33$ an hour.. then he's more or less lost 25$.. kinda..

It's really a workaholic mindset.. or one of someone who really desires to maximize their time. I understand it much better than I can explain it unfortunately.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I understand what you're saying. But if he's doing this on his own time where he wouldn't be paid for it otherwise, you really can't apply that analogy the same way. It's not taking away billable hours. There's still a personal decision of whether it's worth your time, but it's compared to what you might -want- to be doing rather than what you'd be -paid- to do.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I understand what you're saying. But if he's doing this on his own time where he wouldn't be paid for it otherwise, you really can't apply that analogy the same way. It's not taking away billable hours. There's still a personal decision of whether it's worth your time, but it's compared to what you might -want- to be doing rather than what you'd be -paid- to do.
Right on, I can see the difference definitely. Analogy doesn't exactly work.

The people who I've had describe to me that (their) particular mindset though.. don't try to convince them there's a difference lol. Workaholic doesn't even begin to describe these folks. If it doesn't make/save money then it shouldn't be done, and something that DOES make or save money should be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals