• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Missing 2 of the 6 Bed Tie Down Brackets

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I work in fuel tanks for a living. Don't judge me!
So I see. Thanks for the info.

Then, the factory should put dummy/filler bolts there...

About the four tie-down hooks, I guess Ford has made it a permanent configuration since the year-long parts supply shortage problem can not be resolved. Can other 2020 Ranger owners confirm?
While I can't disagree, fasteners are expensive. Based on what I've paid for fasteners in various projects compared to other materials, fastener cost adds up quick. I doubt Ford or any other vehicle manufacturer is going to agree to pay for that, let alone plastic filler plugs. In the end, it comes down to the bottom line and if they don't have to front the added cost, they aren't going to.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: DE2235E7692E8C: July 5th, 2021

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
Fasteners are for fat people and guys named Lance.

SymChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
About the four tie-down hooks, I guess Ford has made it a permanent configuration since the year-long parts supply shortage problem can not be resolved. Can other 2020 Ranger owners confirm?
The omission of the 2 tie-downs was a running model change in mid 2019. This was an intended removal, nothing to do with (and prior to the covid-caused) part shortages.

I consider having them as an "early adopter perk" :)
(same with the rear seat fold-down headrests, although I think those were just a delete for 2020 and later, not a mid-year running change)

James Fremont

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R16
Thanks for the clarification.

That might be as well, I am sure I can find good use for the tapped M8-1.25 holes there in no time. Ideas are welcome, of course.

SymChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the clarification.

That might be as well, I am sure I can find good use for the tapped M8-1.25 holes there in no time. Ideas are welcome, of course.
You could get still get the tie-downs if you wanted/needed, but as mentioned earlier they really jacked up the price on them. Most likely why the Ford bean-counters decided to remove them.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I work in fuel tanks for a living. Don't judge me!
The third pair of tie downs, at least in the Supercrew trucks, is of minimal useful value for most people. They are handy for me to keep tool bags and some packs in place near the back but for the average cargo hauling, aren't super useful. The ones in four corners have much more utility.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'19, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
This was an intended removal, nothing to do with part shortages.
I'm curious, where's data to back this up? Sure, there was a memo issued in the factory to just install (4). That in no way means it was an intended removal. The brackets are backordered at the dealership, and the prices are soaring on them. If it was "intended", why does the bed still have the tapped holes. There would be cost savings to eliminate those, but they haven't.

Did you know Ford also shipped Rangers without any seam sealers on doors... was that also intended?

Some of Ford's competition has well engineered tie down systems, meanwhile Ford is deleting simple mechanical brackets. It makes no sense at all. It's a truck, made to haul things. Securing those things is very important. Ford did a piss poor job on this IMO.

The third pair of tie downs, at least in the Supercrew trucks, is of minimal useful value for most people. They are handy for me to keep tool bags and some packs in place near the back but for the average cargo hauling, aren't super useful. The ones in four corners have much more utility.
I find "The missing bracket locations" to be more useful than the front or rear hooks. I feel those, especially the front ones, are way to close to the front and rear and would be better if moved away from the bulkheads. Run a strap across the front and they are inches away from the front bulkhead. Especially with a factory ToughBed liner, because they add that big dopey plastic Ford logo before they spray in the liner.

Tie Downs 001.JPG

Ford Logo.JPG

Last edited: