• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger catch can?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
200 bucks is kind of a ridiculous price for what essentially amounts to a coffee can with some screens in it...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
We’ve talked about that one on here somewhere. It is pretty much plug and play outside of the mounting of the can.
Do we think it is necessary or helpful to have?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Its pretty much always helpful on a turbo direct injection engine. I don't know why they aren't installed from the factory. :dunno:

PCV systems introduce garbage into the intake, which was perfectly fine on multi port injection since the fuel injectors washed the garbage out of the intake valves. Direct injection doesn't do this and it seems no one bothered to re-think the PCV system to compensate. :icon_confused:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
200 bucks is kind of a ridiculous price for what essentially amounts to a coffee can with some screens in it...
Do we think it is necessary or helpful to have?
Unsure. The 2.3 has an oil separator built into the block of the engine already. I believe it was introduced in the Duratec engine before they slapped a turbo on it and changed it to direct injection. It can't hurt. Anyone here who may have installed the system hasn't reported on what kind job it's doing or how much oil the system is keeping from going into the intake.

Someone did point out that early adopters where having some issues with fuel in the oil after installing one. I believe it was @wildbill23c reporting what people were posting on the Ranger 5G forum but I'm not sure on that. I do know some people reported fuel in the oil that didn't have a catch can and not just a little bit. So, it may be just a coincidence.

I did notice on the marathon run down to Texas last summer that I had some fuel in the oil but it seemed to dissipate on the return trip and hasn't been a problem after. Brought on by heat? Not sure. It did raise the oil level on the dipstick quite a bit but seemed to be fine after we got home and the level did drop as we drove North. Once we hit Texas, speeds were up to 75-80 mph for quite some time. So it may be a forced induction issue over a long, continuous duration. Maybe...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The oil separator on the block of the duratec/ecoboost doesn’t really do much and isn't really even close to what a catch can is. It just has a small set of fins to keep liquid oil from splashing up to the PCV valve since it sits so far down and close to the crankshaft. Vaporized materials still pass through it.

On the other hand a catch can is essentially a moonshine still. It runs the vaporized oil, fuel, and other gases through baffles and screens until it cools enough and turns back into a liquid which then falls to the bottom of the can where they can't be sucked into the intake.

Again the duratec being multi port injection washes this gunk away from the intake valves with fuel. The ecoboost being the same basic engine however does not since it is direct injection and the valves eventually get gummed up with crap. Both engines in my opinion benefit from a catch can because of the crappy PCV design. I had one on my 2009 for about 6 months but the can cracked and I have yet to buy a replacement. It did collect some nasty rancid goo but I never actually measured it. I just drained the can a couple times.

I made the comment about them being overpriced not because I don't think they are good. Just pointing out that realistically it's not a complicated piece of equipment to warrant such a price tag. It IS just a can with screens in it, not a high tech sophisticated precision instrument. Its a good can with screens in it... but a can with screens in it shouldn't cost $200 bucks...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I did notice on the marathon run down to Texas last summer that I had some fuel in the oil but it seemed to dissipate on the return trip and hasn't been a problem after. Brought on by heat? Not sure. It did raise the oil level on the dipstick quite a bit but seemed to be fine after we got home and the level did drop as we drove North. Once we hit Texas, speeds were up to 75-80 mph for quite some time. So it may be a forced induction issue over a long, continuous duration. Maybe...
I was thinking that if it's a real problem it might be worse on trucks that do a lot of short trips and any gas in the oil would burn off if the oil gets hot enough. But I could be wrong.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I was thinking that if it's a real problem it might be worse on trucks that do a lot of short trips and any gas in the oil would burn off if the oil gets hot enough. But I could be wrong.
There isn't enough data given to say for sure and mine is an example of one. One that I don't get to drive much since the girlfriend hasn't gotten her P.O.S. fixed yet (Don't buy Nissan). I haven't been able to pay as much attention to it and any potential problems as much I as I would like as a result. At this point, It's all I can do just to keep up on the PM and give it a check ride from time to time.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Again the duratec being multi port injection washes this gunk away from the intake valves with fuel. The ecoboost being the same basic engine however does not since it is direct injection and the valves eventually get gummed up with crap. Both engines in my opinion benefit from a catch can because of the crappy PCV design. I had one on my 2009 for about 6 months but the can cracked and I have yet to buy a replacement. It did collect some nasty rancid goo but I never actually measured it. I just drained the can a couple times.
Do you think that a treatment with Seafoam once in a while would keep the valves clean? I've never used it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Do you think that a treatment with Seafoam once in a while would keep the valves clean? I've never used it.
Ford sells a special intake valve cleaner just for this purpose. Can't say if it's any better than seafoam. I seafoam (through the intake) every year or two on my duratec and when I had the intake off the valves were spotless. Did it do anything? I dunno but the valves are clean, they could have been clean with or without it though. :dunno: Would it be better for the ecoboost? Again I dunno, but since Ford is selling a product for it I would think so. When my mom's edge is due (2.0 ecoboost) I'm just gonna let the dealer do the decarbonizing themselves, that way if they hydrolock the engine they can pay for it. Not worth me dumping chemicals down the intake on a brand new $40,000 car. A 12 year old ranger I got no problem doing it. :icon_rofl:

But again, you are putting liquid in the intake, a little too much and the engine will hydrolock and become a boat anchor. Never seen it happen but it is theoretically possible. Risk vs reward...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals