• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019+ Ford Ranger Fluids & Engine Coolant

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Washer fluid...the last bastion....not to worry, when the bean counters wake up they will change that too.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Washer fluid...the last bastion....not to worry, when the bean counters wake up they will change that too.
Don't forget about the new "Blinker Fluid" type; use the wrong old stuff & these new fancy Blinkers will blow up!!!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Don't forget about the new "Blinker Fluid" type; use the wrong old stuff & these new fancy Blinkers will blow up!!!
Just look at the BMWs and Mercedes with non working blinkers! The wrong fluid being used must be the reason!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Personal preference direct replacement to Fords 75w90 GearOil:
AmsOil# 75w90.FullSyn
AmsOil# FricModifier
1. Does Amsoil 75w-90 meet the Ford Spec WSP-M2C197-A for 2019+ Rangers? 2019+ Rangers are factory filled with Motorcraft convenetional 80w-90 and that is what the owner's manual recommends. A step backwards from the factory fill synthetic they used to use, I realize.
2. 2019+ Rangers do not need friction modifier because they do not have limited-slip differentials, just an optional mechanical locker.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I do like Amsoil. Generally speaking, there isn't anything better from what I've seen from working on my vehicles. If you have the money, Amsoil products are worth the expense. These days, I have 3 vehicles to maintain and with the current boost in prices, I just can't afford Amsoil to maintain them.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1. Does Amsoil 75w-90 meet the Ford Spec WSP-M2C197-A for 2019+ Rangers? 2019+ Rangers are factory filled with Motorcraft convenetional 80w-90 and that is what the owner's manual recommends. A step backwards from the factory fill synthetic they used to use, I realize.
2. 2019+ Rangers do not need friction modifier because they do not have limited-slip differentials, just an optional mechanical locker.
Best to read manufacturers label & website published specs for any fluids you're considering, make sure they meet\exceed OEM specs.
Don't just guess or take anyones advice; educate yourself with detailed specs.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I do like Amsoil. Generally speaking, there isn't anything better from what I've seen from working on my vehicles. If you have the money, Amsoil products are worth the expense. These days, I have 3 vehicles to maintain and with the current boost in prices, I just can't afford Amsoil to maintain them.
If you read the used oil analysis posted on www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com you will find that Motorcraft Blend is an excellent oil for the money.
Amsoil is okay if you want to go 10k+ on oil but I've never used it, I've always changed every 5k. I have run Pennzoil Platinum, my normal oil of choice, for 10k OCI's in my daughter's Fiesta and the used oil analysis came back fine.
Problem I'm having lately is finding Motorcraft FL-910S filters for the Ranger. Had to break down and buy a Supertech filter last time, it's all I could find. Not just at Walmart, Auto Zone and Advance Auto didn't have any either.
Again, according to the oil nerds at BITOG, Supertech oil and filters are perfectly fine for normal use.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
These days, I have 3 vehicles to maintain and with the current boost in prices, I just can't afford Amsoil to maintain them.
Then the Amsoil rep asks "Can you really afford NOT to use Amsoil?"

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you read the used oil analysis posted on www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com you will find that Motorcraft Blend is an excellent oil for the money.
Amsoil is okay if you want to go 10k+ on oil but I've never used it, I've always changed every 5k. I have run Pennzoil Platinum, my normal oil of choice, for 10k OCI's in my daughter's Fiesta and the used oil analysis came back fine.
Problem I'm having lately is finding Motorcraft FL-910S filters for the Ranger. Had to break down and buy a Supertech filter last time, it's all I could find. Not just at Walmart, Auto Zone and Advance Auto didn't have any either.
Again, according to the oil nerds at BITOG, Supertech oil and filters are perfectly fine for normal use.
I’ve never used a blend. All I have to work with is what an engine looks like inside with conventional motor oil, Amsoil, and the synthetic oil that you can buy in and oil change package.

Amsoil makes the engine look brand new. The bargain synthetic leaves some yellowing and varnish but nothing like conventional motor oil does.

I would imagine that a blend would be somewhere in between conventional and the bargain synthetic.

I don’t do extended oil change intervals. It’s every 6 months regardless of mileage. Often less than the 7,500 recommendation for the 2011 and the 10,000 for the 2019.

I get the bargain synthetic because of the more clean engine and as a bit of an insurance bet incase I do accidentally go over.

Blackstone always kind of yelled at me for changing oil too soon.

As far as filters, it’s usually Pure One, Mobil1, or K&N. Everything I read says they just as good as the motorcraft filter. Those are also the ones that are usually offered with the oil change packages. Some times, but not often, they give the choice for one of their top of the line filters as well.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just look at the BMWs and Mercedes with non working blinkers! The wrong fluid being used must be the reason!
This reminded me of the 80's-90's Mercedes that had wiper arms on the headlights. I used to see em a lot as a kid....never saw one actually work.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Just a helpful tidbit of information.2019+ Ford Ranger Engine Coolant:

I had to do some research over the last couple days on engine coolant for my 2019 since the reservoir was low and needed topping off.

First, mine came with orange coolant instead of yellow. So, I needed to find out if I had to get a specific coolant or if I could just top it off with something else. July of 2019, Ford switched from the orange coolant back to a yellow but the specification is different than the old yellow. According to a bulletin release by Ford in August 2020, the new coolant is backward compatible. So, the system can be topped off with yellow as long as it meets WSS-M97B57-A2 specification.

I also researched whether there is an aftermarket offering available if the Motorcraft product isn't available. Valvoline Zerex Heavy Duty Nitrite Free Extended Life Antifreeze Coolant and Prestone Platinum Antifreeze+Coolant meet WSS-M97B57-A2 specification. Locally, the Prestone product is available at Advance Auto Parts in stores. Valvoline Zerex can only be ordered for delivery. I also looked at Peak since it is another brand offered locally but I was not able to find any information on if they meet the WSS-M97B57-A2 specification. Most of the other offerings by the above brands and others only meet WSS-M97B57-A1 specification, including Valvoline Zerex G05, which is a go to for many. Be careful on what you pick, it may cause you future problems since our trucks have force fed, direct injection engines. Operating parameters are not the same as the engines in the older trucks.
I noticed my reservoir was low and checked the owner's manual for the proper coolant and it said Ford Orange. But when I looked at Rock Auto and others there is no Orange, only Yellow. Since my truck is a 2020 I take it that it was built with Yellow originally anyway, despite what the owner's manual says, correct?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I noticed my reservoir was low and checked the owner's manual for the proper coolant and it said Ford Orange. But when I looked at Rock Auto and others there is no Orange, only Yellow. Since my truck is a 2020 I take it that it was built with Yellow originally anyway, despite what the owner's manual says, correct?
From what I've read, you can use G05. Advance has the right coolant for topping off if you want to not mix coolants but supposedly the orange can be mixed with the yellow.

According to the chart from Ford, Rangers built after 07/08/2019 are supposed to have the yellow colored coolant that meets WSS-M97B57A1 or WSS-M97B57A2. G05 meets the -A1.

1695692612145.png

The first Column is 2018, the middle column is 2019, and the third is 2020.

Prestone Platinum and Valvoline Xerex Extended Life meets the specs of WSS-M97B57A1, WSS-M97B57A2, and WSS-M97B44D so can be used with either. No idea on the color bit I'm assuming yellow.

Supposedly, the orange coolant has been found to be too corrosive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals