• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 ford ranger-first look.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
any word on Diesel availability in the US for 2019 and when we can order?
Also is there a means to out the transfer case in the N position for towing?
Why do you want a 4 cyl. diesel engine in a small truck when it already has a turbo 4 cyl. engine with more power ?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
The new ranger really doesnt do much for me. Either does the new 150 or superduties. Its aggravating as hell that everything has to be a computer on wheels. I dont want touch screens, digital faux analog gauges, goofy terrian controls, and whatever other BS they use.

Vehicle tech should of halted somewhere between 87-96.
Better try to keep those old trucks of yours on the road then. High Tech is in everything nowadays and DUH here to stay.

2000sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why do you want a 4 cyl. diesel engine in a small truck when it already has a turbo 4 cyl. engine with more power ?
I'm not sure how much power some guys want in a small pickup. Pretty soon your towing more than what the weight of the truck is designed for. They expect the 2.3L to get 280hp and 310 torque. Back in 1997 the 5.8L got 210hp and 325 torque. The '05 4.6L got 231 HP and 293 Torque. Many are worried about the turbos holding up. Many road tractors go well over 500,000 miles on one.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't see the turbos on an EcoBoost gas engine being a problem either but your comparison is a bit apples to oranges.

The turbo on a gas engine will see much higher rpm's than one on a diesel, especially those on a "road tractor", and a potentially shorter lifespan as a result.

http://www.wcengineering.com/articles/dieselturbo.html
It is kind of a fickle comparison.

The HD diesel is designed to work at a higher load for extended periods of time than a comparable gas engine. I deal with farm tractors, a 200hp tractor is a pretty good sized horse. It sounds pathetic compared to a 400hp or whatever half ton pickup but that thing is designed to run at nearly that hp rating all day and all night. A pickup engine couldn't take it, the strength isn't there. The cooling isn't there. They are just not designed to do it because it never happens in pickupland because the rest of the truck couldn't take it either.

Even my little NA 65 year old gas tractor will carry a blue cone of fire out of the OEM replacement muffler under a heavy load on a cool night. It is a different world than a pickup engine.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
any word on Diesel availability in the US for 2019 and when we can order?
Ford's position on a diesel engine in anything less than 6 liters or smaller than a Super Duty, for the US market, is "go pound sand".

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford's position on a diesel engine in anything less than 6 liters or smaller than a Super Duty, for the US market, is "go pound sand".
The new F150 diesel doesn’t fit in this position.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The new F150 diesel doesn’t fit in this position.
Are they actually doing it? I mean 100%, it's in the sales info released to dealers?

That's another one of those things that I will actually believe when I actually see one.

Also, if they do do it, Ford may have had their hand forced on that by MOPAR with that Eco-Diesel in the Rams 1500.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They had one at Detroit. I have seen them advertised too. I think for 2020.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Are they actually doing it? I mean 100%, it's in the sales info released to dealers?

That's another one of those things that I will actually believe when I actually see one.

Also, if they do do it, Ford may have had their hand forced on that by MOPAR with that Eco-Diesel in the Rams 1500.
The 3.0 diesel is available to order now. Does not have the torque of a 3.5TT tho and is not rated to haul as much as HDPP or tow as much as Max Tow.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Half ton truck market is so cutthroat that marketing plays a huge role. The diesel F150 isn't going to be a towing monster. I think they're gunning for "Best in class" fuel efficiency to make the marketing dept happy. Modern diesels cost a ton of money to develop, certify, manufacture, and own, so if they're doing it, they must see a demand for it.
That being said, I don't see a ton of EcoDiesel Rams around, and they've had some legal troubles in the last year or so regarding emissions compliance. IT's cost FCA some sales, and could cost them piles of cash too. Hopefully Ford doesn't regret giving their customers the option of an oil burner.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Half ton truck market is so cutthroat that marketing plays a huge role. The diesel F150 isn't going to be a towing monster. I think they're gunning for "Best in class" fuel efficiency to make the marketing dept happy. Modern diesels cost a ton of money to develop, certify, manufacture, and own, so if they're doing it, they must see a demand for it.
That being said, I don't see a ton of EcoDiesel Rams around, and they've had some legal troubles in the last year or so regarding emissions compliance. IT's cost FCA some sales, and could cost them piles of cash too. Hopefully Ford doesn't regret giving their customers the option of an oil burner.
Ford is kind of in hot water with their powerstroke emissions too.

I think most guys around me buy a diesel Ram because it comes with a Cummins or a gas Ram because they are cheap. I see them in Omaha but I have yet to see one locally.

Emissions aside I hope the F-150 diesel isn't an interference engine or there will be plenty of regret to go around...

Apparently someone's uncle has a belt factory that has been slow, they even have a belt on the back of the engine to run the fuel pump. :dntknw:

Respectable #'s though.

2000sport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It is kind of a fickle comparison.

The HD diesel is designed to work at a higher load for extended periods of time than a comparable gas engine. I deal with farm tractors, a 200hp tractor is a pretty good sized horse. It sounds pathetic compared to a 400hp or whatever half ton pickup but that thing is designed to run at nearly that hp rating all day and all night. A pickup engine couldn't take it, the strength isn't there. The cooling isn't there. They are just not designed to do it because it never happens in pickupland because the rest of the truck couldn't take it either.

Even my little NA 65 year old gas tractor will carry a blue cone of fire out of the OEM replacement muffler under a heavy load on a cool night. It is a different world than a pickup engine.
Tractor is also geared way down too. Run a diesel pickup around in only in 1st or 2nd gear you would have way more power than you can put to the ground in that situation for what it could pull.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tractor is also geared way down too. Run a diesel pickup around in only in 1st or 2nd gear you would have way more power than you can put to the ground in that situation for what it could pull.
Uh, huh.

Truck motor in a tractor won't stay together at that load at the truck power rating doing tractor things.

Kinda the same rational that gives the 6.7 has 330hp 750lb-ft in a F-450 chassis cab and 440hp and 925 lb-ft in a measly F-250.

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The new ranger really doesnt do much for me. Either does the new 150 or superduties. Its aggravating as hell that everything has to be a computer on wheels. I dont want touch screens, digital faux analog gauges, goofy terrian controls, and whatever other BS they use.

Vehicle tech should of halted somewhere between 87-96.
Going ten years with my 2008 Ranger. It's been in a couple accidents and it's just getting old. Been a great vehicle over the years. This new Ranger doesn't do it for me either. Aesthically it is lacking and I'm sure the price will be pretty high for a small pickup. I would rather just get an F-250 regular cab 4x4. Yeah I really don't need the power but harsh winter's here in Michigan really beat vehicles up. So i go for durability and the 250 has that. Gas mileage sucks but that's a trade-off. Plus it looks great in the regular cab config. Dodge and Chevy look like crap, the cab roof line slopes way to much. As for all the computer stuff you are worried about... It's impossible to get away from it all. Just try to config something that has less. It's not healthy or advantageous to live like a Luddite but I can see your point about having too much in a vehicle. But I would rather have added safety features like back up camera and blind spot sensors rather than the alternative....SELF DRIVING CARS.... uhhhgggg....there are groups pushing for it and the only way it won't get here is to make manual driven cars as safe possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals