• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019+ Ford Ranger 3.5-Inch Suspension Kit Comparisons

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've been looking at 3.5-inch suspension kits from various companies. What I've found is:

Rough Country / Skyjacker / Superlift:

Sell a 3.5-inch lift kit with new upper control arms, a strut spacer and provides brackets to relocate the front differential. They also provide templates for cutting and drilling the factory differential mounts so you can bolt their differential mounts to them. The Rough Country kit has forged aluminum upper control arms while the Skyjacker and Superlift kits have tubular upper control arms.

Fabtech:

Fabtech offers a 3.5-inch suspension kit that uses strut spacers and new upper control arms but DOES NOT include any brackets to relocate the front differential. Fabtech also offers their kit with new intrusion beams to make room for larger tires.

Fabtech also sells their intrusion beam kit separately.

BDS:

Sells a 3.5-inch lift kit with new upper control arms and either a strut spacer or new longer struts. They also include barckets to relocate your front differential. Some of their kits also offer a replacement intrusion beam to allow for larger tires. BDS also offers their intrusion beam separately.

Calmini / Icon Vehicle Dynamics:

Calmini sells new upper control arms, a strut spacer, and new longer struts. They do not include brackets to relocate the front differential.

calmini_2019_ford_ranger_3-5_suspension_lift.JPG

Calmini 2019 Ford Ranger 3.5-Inch Suspension Parts
Icon Vehicle Dynamics kits include longer replacement struts, new tubular or billet upper control arms and the option of rear springs or shocks with remote reservoirs. Their kits DO NOT provide brackets to relocate the front differential.

ReadyLift Intrusion Beam:

ReadyLift only offers up to a 3-inch leveling kit, but they do offer replacement intrusion beams for more tire clearance.

Front Differential Brackets:

I'm not sure what to think about some companies offering the drop brackets for the front differential, and other companies not offering them. Rough Country seems to be the kit receiving all of the reviews right now. I found this review interesting where the person says he didn't use the differential lowering brackets:

"Looks incredible with the lift on the truck. It definitely raised the front 3.5" and the rear only 1", which is not a problem because my FX4 was a little high in the back. The aluminum knuckles made the job super easy because the ball joints just fell out. HOWEVER, you DO NOT need the upgraded shocks. The old shocks work just fine. I have also been off-road a few times and the diff lowering brackets are not required. They require you to cut the original brackets and I did not feel comfortable doing so. All in all, the ride height is amazing and still on stock tires, it is taller than a Tacoma on the same lift. Can't beat a great lift for $550."

What Tires Fit With A 3.5-Inch Lift:

According to BDS:

Tire & Wheel Combinations For Kit With Coilover
  • 275/65r w/20x9 and 6.18" back spacing
  • 285/66r w/18x9 and 5.5-5.75" back spacing
  • 305/55r w/20x9 and 5" back spacing
*Trimming may be required*

Tire & Wheel Combinations For 3.5 Kit With Spacer
  • 285/70r17 w/17" and stock back spacing
  • 285/65r18 w/18" and stock back spacing
  • 275/65r18 w/18x9 and 6.125" back spacing
*Trimming may be required*

Fabtech States:
  • Use 33/12.50R18 tires w/ 18×9 wheels w/ 5″ BS w/ minor trimming
  • Use 33/12.50R20 tires w/ 20×9 wheels w/ 5″ BS w/ minor trimming
Rough Country States:

"This kit was developed using a 285/55/r20 for a no rub on a 20 x 9 +30 offset."

Skyjacker States:
  • Max Tire Size - 285/65R18
  • Wheel - 18 x 8
  • Aftermarket Wheels Must Have a Minimum of 93.1mm Center Bore & Maximum 6.5” Backspacing.
  • Wheels with Less Than 6.50 Inch Backspacing May Require Slight Trimming.
  • Nine (9) Inch Wide Wheels Will Require Trimming.
Superlift States:

This kit was developed using a 285/70 R17. Any larger or wider tire & wheel combination other than listed may require vehicle trimming.
  • 285/70R17 on 17x9 Stock Wheel
  • 285/65R18 on 18x9 Stock Wheel
  • 285/55R20 on 20x9 Wheel With +30MM Offset

Conclusion:

I was surprised that some of these companies provide brackets to relocate the front differential and others do not. The Rough Country and Skyjacker kits look almost identical except that the Rough Country kit has forged aluminum upper control arms. The Superlift kit has different brackets for the front differential than the Rough Country and Skyjacker kits. The BDS kit appears to have the same style of differential brackets as the Superlift kit. The BDS kit also uses a longer shackle to lift the rear instead of a spacer block like Rough Country, Skyjacker, and Superlift does.

I also noted that only BDS, Calmini, and Icon are offering kits with a longer replacement front strut. Only BDS, Fabtech and ReadyLift offer a replacement intrusion beam for more tire clearance.

I also like how Rough Country has plastic caps to cover the top of the joint in the upper control arm to keep the grease fitting clean.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Rough country has an option on the front struts as well. They have to be purchased seperate from the kit. I've also read tha BDS has their struts built by Fox. Not sure how true. But have heard great things about the BDS kits. I also think they are the only ones that do a leaf spring shackle for rear instead of the blocks. I've seen a lot of people on FB complain about the Icons rusting and leaking but the Taco community swears by them. Of course RC is going to be the most cost effective. I've had great success with them over the years. I've noticed a lot of people bad mouth them. May just be to justify spending twice the money on same kit from Fox or Icon. You didn't mention Bilstein but have heard a lot of good things on them but you have to reuse you front springs and rebuild the strut. Just my 2 cents

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Rough Country has a 2.5-Inch kit and 6-inch kit with new struts

Price Comparisons:

Rough Country $569.95 + Free Shipping (with shocks is $669.95)
Skyjacker - $799.95 + Free Shipping (without shocks)
Superlift - $659.95 + Free Shipping (with shocks)
BDS (spacer) - $1,435.63
BDS (strut) - $2,836.44
Fabtech (performance shocks) - $1,150.29
Fabtech (dirt logic shocks) - $1,744.85

ICON - $2,800++

Looks like Rough Country has the best price for a kit without shocks.
Superlift has the best deal for a kit with shocks, but only by $10.00.

Price Comparisons Between Ford Ranger Kits From 1983 - 2022 Ford Ranger Kits:

Rough Country sells their 6-inch kit for the 2019+ Ford Ranger 4x4 for $1,329.95.
Rough Country sells their 5-inch lift for the 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 for $1,049.95.
Rough Country sells their 4-inch lift for the 1983-1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 for $549.95.

Superlift sells their 3.5-inch lift for the 2019-2022 Ford Ranger 4x4 for $560.95.
Superlift sells their 4-inch lift for the 1998-2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 for $1,285.85.
Superlift no longer sells lifts for the 1983-1997 Ford Ranger.

Skyjacker sells their 3.5-inch kit for the 2019-2022 Ford Ranger 4x4 for $799.95.
Skyjacker sells their basic 6-inch lift for the 1983-1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 for $1,323.28.
Skyjacker never offered kits for the 1998-2011 Ford Ranger.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I see that the Rough Country kit has forged aluminum upper control arms while the Skyjacker and Superlift kits have tubular upper control arms. I wonder why Rough Country went with the aluminum, and if there is an advantage or disadvantage?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm a big fan of the forged aluminum arms. It'll be the pair I go with in the future. However, the uca doesn't see the sorts of stress that the lca does.. so I'm sure it really doesn't matter all that much.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Looks like all the kits are pressed in upper ball joints except Fabtech.

As for the diff drop brackets or relocation brackets, I would think the brackets would be helpful, yes you may lose an inch of clearance where the diff is but you save stress angles on the 1/2 shafts when the tire is at full droop while wheeling.

Another thing to think about, some offer the struts/shocks others don't. Depending on the type of off highway travel you plan on traveling will decide which strut/shock will work best for you. Be honest with yourself here as your seat is your reminder how your back will handle the ride.

I'm sure you know all of this because of the research you've done. But it is helpful to hear from an outside source.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Other things I’ve noticed are some only fit trucks with aluminum knuckles and some are cast knuckles, most don’t fit Tremor.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Other things I’ve noticed are some only fit trucks with aluminum knuckles and some are cast knuckles, most don’t fit Tremor.
The steering knuckles on the 2019 'Loan Ranger' were aluminum (silver).

The steering knuckles on my 2021 Ford Ranger are steel (black).

I noticed in the Skyjacker instructions it states:

"MAKE Sure You Have Ordered & Received Correct Lift Kit. (They Will Not Interchange.) # FR19350PA Aluminum OEM Steering Knuckles. # FR20350P Cast Steel OEM Steering Knuckles."

I saw a Reddit post that asked:

"Has one one noticed they switched from aluminum steering knuckles on 2019 trucks to steel on 2020 and 2021. Was this for durability, cost savings, or both?"

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
The steering knuckles on the 2019 'Loan Ranger' were aluminum (silver).

The steering knuckles on my 2021 Ford Ranger are steel (black).

I noticed in the Skyjacker instructions it states:

"MAKE Sure You Have Ordered & Received Correct Lift Kit. (They Will Not Interchange.) # FR19350PA Aluminum OEM Steering Knuckles. # FR20350P Cast Steel OEM Steering Knuckles."

I saw a Reddit post that asked:

"Has one one noticed they switched from aluminum steering knuckles on 2019 trucks to steel on 2020 and 2021. Was this for durability, cost savings, or both?"
I'm pretty sure that only the FX4s had the aluminum ones in 20 when I bought mine.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My experience with 2.5" strut spacers on the front of my old Sport Trac was that it greatly shortened the life of the upper ball joints and sway bar end links. 2" longer end links fixed that problem but the Ranger sway bar is a different design anyway. Longer UCA;s were available but cost like $800 and I never took it off-road anyway, I just wanted bigger tires and for it to look like a 4x4. The Ford Performance kit is 2.5" in front and does not include new UCA's but I'd recommend them for 2.5" or more based on past experience. I get the idea behind diff drop brackets to keep the CV angles down and since I know you're going to flog it off-road I'd get the stoutest ones available although I suppose they won't get a lot of stress. It's not the cheapest but BDS is the most complete IMO.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
My experience with 2.5" strut spacers on the front of my old Sport Trac was that it greatly shortened the life of the upper ball joints and sway bar end links. 2" longer end links fixed that problem but the Ranger sway bar is a different design anyway. Longer UCA;s were available but cost like $800 and I never took it off-road anyway, I just wanted bigger tires and for it to look like a 4x4. The Ford Performance kit is 2.5" in front and does not include new UCA's but I'd recommend them for 2.5" or more based on past experience. I get the idea behind diff drop brackets to keep the CV angles down and since I know you're going to flog it off-road I'd get the stoutest ones available although I suppose they won't get a lot of stress. It's not the cheapest but BDS is the most complete IMO.

Forgive me: UCA's?

CMOS

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Upper Control Arm

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
Do you guys recommend a longer UCA for something like a 2.5" front level kit?

CMOS

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Do you guys recommend a longer UCA for something like a 2.5" front level kit?
At 2.5" I'd say they're better but optional. Any more than that and I'd definitely get them.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
At 2.5" I'd say they're better but optional. Any more than that and I'd definitely get them.
Where can I buy these longer UCA's?

CMOS

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals