• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2016 Ford F-150 P0430

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Today I noticed that my check engine light was on in my 2016 F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Truck runs fine and when I got home I scanned it and got a P0430 code.

"Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)."

From what I've read, this is usually a bad converter, not a bad O2 sensor.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm thinking my girlfriend had this converter code on her Jeep, and we got rid of it by pouring a catalytic converter cleaner in the gas tank.

I can't possibly get that lucky.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Cat efficiency codes can be a pain.
I scanned the chart for that code, it has you checking fuel pressure, for exhaust leaks, exhaust back pressure, etc. Never mentions sensors except for checking the fuel rail pressure sensor for bias.

Has it started using oil?

From the verbiage of the chart, there are monitored and unmonitored converters. The converter sandwiched between the upstream and downstream sensors on bank 2 is the culprit.

I would try the cleaner, can't hurt. Also, if the bank 1 and bank 2 sensors are the same part numbers, I would swap them both left to right, clear codes and drive it. It's possible for an upstream or downstream sensor to bias rich or lean, which can cause P0420/P0430 codes (very rare). If the code moves to bank 1 suspect a biased sensor. Usually this will trip additional codes however.

What causes the cat efficiency codes to trip is when the downstream sensor mirrors the upstream sensor when running conditions should cause the downstream sensor to stay lean. In other words, when the engine is in closed loop and the upstream sensor is switching rich/lean, converter is warm, at that point the converter substrate should be removing hydrocarbons from the exhaust to the point that the downstream sensor lays dead lean. Compromised substrate causes the sensor to switch when it shouldn't.

The PCM will occasionally throw it a rich mixture expecting it to switch rich just to make sure it's still plugged in... :)

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Weird.

I filled the truck up with gas and the check engine light went out. I've driven well over 300 miles and a full tank of gas and the check engine light hasn't came back on.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Cat efficiency codes aren't perfect, it's possible the test happened at the exact wrong time, plus it doesn't always do the test...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals