• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2016 F-150 4x4 Grinding when letting off the gas

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I got this one.

CAD = Crappy Activation Device
Close. Center Axle Disconnect.

Basically the short axle is always fully engaged to the front diff, and the long axle has a break in it that engages a splined collar, a lot like the slider hub in a manual transmission. This allows the front axle to be disconnected, since an open diff would then not really do anything, maybe spin the spider gears a bit. Jeep used them for a long time, but Ford's version wasn't particularly efficient or reliable and was ditched in favor of the IWE setup pretty quickly. The CAD units were used from 96.5 or 97 until the 04 Heritage body was done. The true 04s (the 6-lug ones) got the IWEs and they are still in use, more or less unchanged, at least through 2019, which is the newest F-150 I have worked on so far.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Close. Center Axle Disconnect.

Basically the short axle is always fully engaged to the front diff, and the long axle has a break in it that engages a splined collar, a lot like the slider hub in a manual transmission. This allows the front axle to be disconnected, since an open diff would then not really do anything, maybe spin the spider gears a bit. Jeep used them for a long time, but Ford's version wasn't particularly efficient or reliable and was ditched in favor of the IWE setup pretty quickly. The CAD units were used from 96.5 or 97 until the 04 Heritage body was done. The true 04s (the 6-lug ones) got the IWEs and they are still in use, more or less unchanged, at least through 2019, which is the newest F-150 I have worked on so far.
I pull the lever in my 02, wait for three clicks as the elves in the dash make magic stuff happen... and go.

Knocking on wood I have never done a thing to it.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I started hearing a light chatter on the freeway today. Went away when I took my foot off the gas and didn't come back.

Made an appointment online to get it in to the Ford garage where I bought it on Wednesday. I really hope they can find the problem and fix it. I need to head to Ohio for my nieces upcoming wedding.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I started hearing a light chatter on the freeway today. Went away when I took my foot off the gas and didn't come back.

Made an appointment online to get it in to the Ford garage where I bought it on Wednesday. I really hope they can find the problem and fix it. I need to head to Ohio for my nieces upcoming wedding.
Hopefully they help you out on it since they just sold it to you.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
A few other observations...

Sunday it started to make a chattering sound that went away after I let off the gas and didn't come back.

On one occasion shortly after I got it, I was slowing down for a stop sign, and the truck dropped all the way to 1st gear. When I pulled away it didn't want to upshift out of 1st. I put the gear shift in M (Manual) and back in to Drive and it worked fine after that. I've heard that these 6R80's have had problems doing that due to a bad speed sensor.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
A few other observations...

Sunday it started to make a chattering sound that went away after I let off the gas and didn't come back.

On one occasion shortly after I got it, I was slowing down for a stop sign, and the truck dropped all the way to 1st gear. When I pulled away it didn't want to upshift out of 1st. I put the gear shift in M (Manual) and back in to Drive and it worked fine after that. I've heard that these 6R80's have had problems doing that due to a bad speed sensor.
Next time it does it just coast and click it into 4wd... if it goes away it’s an iwe issue. My lifted 17 kept pulling a victim line off the drivers side IWE and sorta grind a little. If I put it in 4wd it would stop instantly. Then I’d pull over and put the vacuum line back on.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
It's only made the noise twice, and it did it when I let off the gas. Actually heard a rumbling and then brief gringing when I let off the gas.

IWE's usually grind when accelerating. My problem seems to be opposite of that.

And the chattering sound freaks me out. Again, it stopped when I let off the gas and didn't come back. I feared that could be transmission issue, but I feel like it would be constant.

All this happens at 75-80 MPH.

Seems to do it when the engine is under load such as going up a small grade.

Those speeds and then letting off the gas makes me wonder if it's turbo related.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would still start with unhooking the IWES. They are vacuum operated and turbo engines have weird vacuum systems. On the throttle you are boosted, so no intake vacuum. Let off and it returns. If the IWE check valve is bad it can cause your issue, plus the test is free.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Well,

Showed up at 9:40 am for a 10 am appointment and was told they would put it in the que and that it wouldn't get looked at until tomorrow. Told me they'd have to keep it a couple of days to diagnose it, but if it's not currently making any noise, they probably won't find anything wrong. Told me to bring it back when the noise is constant.

Fawk that.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Well,

Showed up at 9:40 am for a 10 am appointment and was told they would put it in the que and that it wouldn't get looked at until tomorrow. Told me they'd have to keep it a couple of days to diagnose it, but if it's not currently making any noise, they probably won't find anything wrong. Told me to bring it back when the noise is constant.

Fawk that.
“Bring it back when something is totally destroyed so we don’t have to spend any time looking for the problem.”

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
“Bring it back when something is totally destroyed so we don’t have to spend any time looking for the problem.”
Sounds logical. Hopefully that warranty is good for awhile....

Well,

Fawk that.
Message Ford directly. Or raise hell on Twitter on their page, They will want to put out that fire quickly. I was seeing a bunch people do it and someone at Ford wants DMs from them.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's really a sad comment on life in general when companies care more about facebook and twitter comments then they do about a customer contacting them directly.

During the recent hurricane we lost power, I tried to contact PSE&G (our power company) through their phone number (disconnected), website (Not working), and even their mobile app (not functional). They replied directly to me in less than 20 minutes after I left a nasty comment on Facebook...

No one gives a crap about honest face to face communication anymore but you let the smallest gripe slip on social media and a company will do anything to save their reputation. They honestly don't care about you unless someone is watching (aka the internet).

Sorry for the highjack rant, but it was relevant at least.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's really a sad comment on life in general when companies care more about facebook and twitter comments then they do about a customer contacting them directly.

During the recent hurricane we lost power, I tried to contact PSE&G (our power company) through their phone number (disconnected), website (Not working), and even their mobile app (not functional). They replied directly to me in less than 20 minutes after I left a nasty comment on Facebook...

No one gives a crap about honest face to face communication anymore but you let the smallest gripe slip on social media and a company will do anything to save their reputation. They honestly don't care about you unless someone is watching (aka the internet).

Sorry for the highjack rant, but it was relevant at least.
Your not wrong. Thats why I suggested it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just went through the same crap with Best buy too. Save the story but after 3 months of phone calls emails I gave up. I finally got contacted back after I said screw it and let my mother start harassing them on facebook... took her 2 days of nasty comments on Facebook and I had a tech at my door to fix my TV.

How bout deal with your customers in a professional manner so that they don't need to resort to hate speech on social media for the slightest bit of satisfaction?

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I left the dealership a 1-star review on Google.

A long time ago we had a member here that had an issue with a Ford dealer. We ended up posting the problem here for the world to see. The problem got solved.

Had I taken this to my regular dealer, they would have at least looked at it and ruled things out.

I'm leaving for Ohio in the morning. It's a 1,200+ mile drive one way. Hopefully I won't have to make an unscheduled stop at a Ford dealer. 🤫

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals