• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2013 C-Maxx opinions

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Looking at a 2013 C-Maxx for my dad. His F-150 gets about 3.3mpg and needs a small commuter/DD. I have a line on a 2013C-Maxx SEL. Guy says " All it needs is a battery and it'lll drive. I know it needs four tires. What I'm worried about is the rest of the car. No experience with Hybrid tech so I don't know what to look for or ask. If any of you guys that work at shops or dealerships have the Good, Bad, and Ugly on these little cars, it would be appreciated.

What I do Know : It has a new PS fender and lower bumper cover. It has the Sync Infotainment System. Leather seats. 225/5R-17 tires 17x7 rims
Manufactured - 03/13
VIN:1FADP5BU8DL526509

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hybrid batteries are expensive. @Shran said the battery alone for his prius was $1500 plus $3k labor.

Might be cheaper to just fix whatever the issues are with the F150 causing such low gas mileage. New plugs and coils, filters ect. Even if you had to regear the axels because he is running 44s with a 3.08 rear, would probably be in the same ball park.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Hybrid batteries are expensive. @Shran said the battery alone for his prius was $1500 plus $3k labor.

Might be cheaper to just fix whatever the issues are with the F150 causing such low gas mileage. New plugs and coils, filters ect. Even if you had to regear the axels because he is running 44s with a 3.08 rear, would probably be in the same ball park.
Agreed re the F150 mileage. Fix the problem.

Shran's battery was $1500 as a DIY fix vs $3000 as a dealer repair as I understood it.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I was exaggerating the MPGs on his F-150. Sorry guys. He really gets about 17 mpg. The truck has a few motor mods and a lot of rear suspension stuff for hauling heavy loads. He gets the same MPG pulling his camper or not pulling anything at all. He just needs a decent DD that's good on gas. This C-maxx just kinda fell in front of me about the time Pops asked about a smaller car.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Honestly, if I were buying a car for daily commuting to save money, I'd buy something dirt cheap. It would take years to make up the difference between purchase savings and fuel savings.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Honestly, if I were buying a car for daily commuting to save money, I'd buy something dirt cheap. It would take years to make up the difference between purchase savings and fuel savings.
I agree. but the used market for gas sippers is ridiculous. If this car checks out, I can get it for about half of what the average C-Maxx is going for. roughly $4k for this one, average price is $7-8,500

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Agreed re the F150 mileage. Fix the problem.

Shran's battery was $1500 as a DIY fix vs $3000 as a dealer repair as I understood it.
That is correct.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Because its a daily driver for the old man, I would pass and get something turn key. Besides the MPG, sometimes driving a full size truck is a PITA. A small car is much easier to deal with things like parking, traffic etc...

A lot of the guys at work have a truck/small car combo. 3 of the guys have Chevy Volts. They all seem happy with them. One filled his with hay bales and 4x6 lumber no problem. Their only problem is th efuel gets old from never being used. We gotta remind our buddy to top off a little fresh fuel once in awhile.
I think GM stopped making them (because they were actually good cars). I'm not a GM/Chevy fan by any means, but do give credit where due.
My daily driver is Ford Fusion, which I am probably replacing soon due to not wanting to throw wrenches and parts at it. Plus my mom borrows it often, so I need old lady proof reliability.

Anyways I say get something ready to go. Even if you fix what he says it needs, there will be more things. Nothing beats a good old fashioned test drive. Ideally get a warranty.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"all it needs"...

Why don't they just throw a $100 battery in it and get way more out of it?

Kinda like all the junk listed that just needs a fuel pump.

Huge turnoff to me, my spidy senses say they are hiding something.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
I'm gonna pass in this one, but the ol' man is kinda geeked on a C-maxx now SMH. He's been looking at them online, thanks Google. Does anybody have any Real World experience with them? He's in NC right now and I gotta reel him in before my sister and BIL get him a Smart for2. they have one and love it, but it's not their DD. . Civic and Corollas are too low for him, he has trouble getting up/down in my Crolla. The C-maxx has mini-van "like" seats and aren't that low even though the floor is really close to the ground. the for2 has similar seating.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I'm gonna pass in this one, but the ol' man is kinda geeked on a C-maxx now SMH. He's been looking at them online, thanks Google. Does anybody have any Real World experience with them? He's in NC right now and I gotta reel him in before my sister and BIL get him a Smart for2. they have one and love it, but it's not their DD. . Civic and Corollas are too low for him, he has trouble getting up/down in my Crolla. The C-maxx has mini-van "like" seats and aren't that low even though the floor is really close to the ground. the for2 has similar seating.
My mom had a C-Max. I think it was a ‘13. She bought it new, kept it for about 5 years. She never had an issue or warranty repair. I drove it a few times... it was just another uninspiring, run of the mill car.

She had a 2008 Smart for 2 convertible before that. It was slow, shifted funny, weird looking, but it had leg room for days. (My buddy is 6’4” 350+ lbs., with the seat all the way back, he couldn’t reach the pedals.) It wasn’t a bad car, it had more personality than the boring C-Max.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
My mom had a C-Max. I think it was a ‘13. She bought it new, kept it for about 5 years. She never had an issue or warranty repair. I drove it a few times... it was just another uninspiring, run of the mill car.

She had a 2008 Smart for 2 convertible before that. It was slow, shifted funny, weird looking, but it had leg room for days. (My buddy is 6’4” 350+ lbs., with the seat all the way back, he couldn’t reach the pedals.) It wasn’t a bad car, it had more personality than the boring C-Max.
Agree 100% about the funny shifting for2. the leg room is what he's going for, and a tall seat, not bolted directly to the floor. He like the for2, for exactly what you said about the leg room. Not sure if he's driven my sister's or just sat in it. He has sat in the C-maxx, but with no battery, we couldn't open the rear hatch or unlock any doors. The DS door was unlocked. He likes the proportions of the C-maxx and the rear folding seats. Not sure if the for2 can do what he might want it to do.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Agree 100% about the funny shifting for2. the leg room is what he's going for, and a tall seat, not bolted directly to the floor. He like the for2, for exactly what you said about the leg room. Not sure if he's driven my sister's or just sat in it. He has sat in the C-maxx, but with no battery, we couldn't open the rear hatch or unlock any doors. The DS door was unlocked. He likes the proportions of the C-maxx and the rear folding seats. Not sure if the for2 can do what he might want it to do.
The Smart car can carry 2 passengers and a loaf of bread (a regular loaf of bread, nothing bigger).

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Meh eff it just get a Prius and call it a day.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We sold some C Maxs and didn't have much trouble with them. I liked the way they drove. A couple had battery drain issues that we fixed following a TSB that was released for the problem. I processed a buy back on one we sold because the customer had moved away and the flat rate dealer near her new home couldn't/didn't/wouldn't fix it after many tries. The TSB is quite involved and time consuming, my hourly rate hybrid tech was- and still is- meticulous.
The one Escape hybrid battery we replaced generated a $14,000 warranty claim. Last week a guy in Norway strapped 60 lbs of dynamite to his Tesla and set it off after getting a $22,600 quote for a new battery. A used hybrid or electric car is something to avoid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals