• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Ranger sport ext. cab 4x4

neondave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
been looking for a clean 2011 Ranger 4x4 , I have a 2wd 1994 that I bought new. Anyway , I saw this 2011 4x4 ext cab sport 4.0 , auto. for sale near me, 68,000 miles for around $16k.

This has those bolt on factory fender flare extenders . Why do some of these trucks have 'em and others don't ? Wider wheels or ?? I like the Rangers without that , but could live with it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
They are just a trim feature that comes with the fx4 package. The XL and XLT models do not have them.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
2011, it was part of the Sport package. It is more of an appearance thing than a necessary thing.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My 06 Sport has them also.

neondave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info ! I,m not quite sold on the 'new' Rangers,, so been looking for a 2011. Any issues with the 2011 model ? My 1994 has been great.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Most of the issues various parts of the earlier models had had been worked out by 2010-2011. The only thing to keep an eye on is the rear disc brakes. It seems most haven't had a problem but I have had to replace the rear rotors more often than I should need to. My truck does sit for months at a time while I'm deployed, so that may be the main issue as to why. Just something to keep an eye on if you do not regularly inspect your brakes.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Have a 2011 xlt as well. Bought it about a month ago.

Beds rust like hell if you don't remove the heat shield under them. Mine was cloth backed and ate a few holes. Didn't see it when I bought it thanks to a plastic bed liner.

Seats are really uncomfortable, especially vs my 88 with 92 power seats.

Keep em clean. For some reason, the later ones seem to rust as bad as the first gens.

Both rear leaves and torsion bars on mine were shot. It looks like mine was overloaded a few times, though. Replacements are fairly cheap.

Other than that, I love mine. Have put over 5,000 miles on mine already.

Get a manual if you can find one! ??

Other than that, I love it.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only trouble I had with mine is the housing for the thermostat delaminating. (It's made of three plastic pieces glued together.) Someone makes an aluminum after market replacement piece that I found after getting it fixed.

Everything else mechanically has been fine.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
My '11 has no rust on it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Have a 2011 xlt as well. Bought it about a month ago.

Beds rust like hell if you don't remove the heat shield under them. Mine was cloth backed and ate a few holes. Didn't see it when I bought it thanks to a plastic bed liner.

Seats are really uncomfortable, especially vs my 88 with 92 power seats.

Keep em clean. For some reason, the later ones seem to rust as bad as the first gens.

Both rear leaves and torsion bars on mine were shot. It looks like mine was overloaded a few times, though. Replacements are fairly cheap.

Other than that, I love mine. Have put over 5,000 miles on mine already.

Get a manual if you can find one! ??

Other than that, I love it.
I'll have some stock torsion bars (Code F I think) and leaf springs (1250# with helper springs) available in the spring if you are looking for a stop gap until you get whatever you want for upgrades.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Bookmarked! I plan on changing the coolant this spring along with the thermostat. The thermostat is starting to stick a little. My Scangauge II shows coolant temp real time and it's sometimes spiking to 205 degrees before the thermostat opens up and the temp drops. Probably not a big deal but since the system is going to be drained anyway, I might as well do some preventative maintenance.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have facts for those who think and arguments for those who reason. In the text that follows, I don't intend to recount all of the damage caused by sgtsandman's stuporous opinions but I do want to point out that he hates it when you say that I am proud that I'm not among the number of polyloquent suborners of perjury of this world. He really hates it when you say that. Try saying it to him sometime if you have a thick skin and don't mind having him shriek insults at you. He has been doing everything in his power to ensure that we always get the short end of the stick. Sgt vehemently denies that, of course. But he obviously would because in order to solve the big problems with him we must first understand these problems, and to understand them, we must clarify that there's something I've observed about sgt. Namely, he may not know how to spell “anthropoteleological”, but he inarguably knows how to violate all the rules of decorum. I've further observed that if you look soberly and carefully at the evidence all around you, you will indeed find that as soon as the time is ripe I will rail against the pseudoscience that attempts—and continually fails—to prove that the Queen of England heads up the international drug cartel. This isn't just a public-relations move. It's a real move to get people to see that whenever John attempts to construct gas chambers, incinerators, gulags, and concentration camps, he looks around waiting for applause as if he's done something decent and moral rather than vapid and querimonious.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Sgtsandman has been paddling around in the swampy parts of sanity. Why else would he claim that he has an independent mind, rigorous intellect, impeccable credentials, and a record of excellence and integrity? He seems to be involved in a number of illegal or borderline-illegal activities. For him and his accomplices, tax evasion and financial chicanery are scarcely outside the norm. Even financial fraud and thievery seem to be okay. What's next? Condemning innocent people to death? I can say only that when he was first found establishing tacit boundaries and ground rules for the permissible spectrum of opinion, I was scared. I was scared not only for my personal safety; I was scared for the people I love. And now that he is planning to replace the search for truth with a situationist relativism based on confrontational, nasty nativism, I'm doubtlessly terrified.
I have a scientist's respect for objective truth. That's why I'm telling you that if I have a bias, it is only against frightful hooligans who persecute the innocent and let the guilty go unpunished. For the nonce, he is content to twist our entire societal valuation of love and relationships beyond all insanity. But in a lustrum or two, he will encourage malign, irritable losels to see themselves as victims and, therefore, live by alibis rather than by honest effort. In summary, abominable loblollies have a vision that some day they will challenge all I stand for. And nobody expresses that vision with more clarity, conviction, and power than sgtsandman.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What in the world...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Damn dude! You put some work into that one!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals