• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 longer shocks?

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've looked and found similar situations, but nothing quite right.

What longer OEM shocks could I possibly use? I don't care to use "heavy duty" shocks, it already has a rough ride. I also don't care to have overpriced shocks either! Just regular OEM shocks. Here's some history:

I recently jacked up the truck on the lower control arm and then set it on jack stands at the frame... when I lowered the jack, the suspension didn't drop at all! Same with the rear. I have no idea how high it's lifted as I have no clue what the original ride height is. It rides like a tractor, I've considered removing the leaf and cranking the torsion back down, but I am unsure how close to stock the new keys will go back down... and tbh, I like the height!

I bought this 2011 Ranger Sport and it has a SuperSpring SSA30 (I believe) lifting the rear of the truck. I leveled with torsion keys and the installer (NTB) didn't put in the shock extenders. If I can avoid it, I'd rather have longer shocks than have weird washers and bushings to extend the length artificially.

Thanks!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well Motorcraft is probably not going to have a longer shock that fits your truck properly. You will likely have to go with a Monroe or KYB for at least an inch or two of lift.

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
that would be okay, still don't know what size I'd need. I am considering removing the superspring thing, but I'm kinda stuck with the torsion keys... I don't want to mess with those, absolutely no information on how low they can go, only their max at 2¼". maybe I can remove the spring, drop the torsion as low as possible and put a slightly taller shackle on the back, if needed...

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
The only way to tell what you really need is to unbolt the shocks and see how much the suspension drops. Then measure. It kinda sounds like the shocks are fully extended and holding the suspension.

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I imagine it will drop about 2 inches. Saying it does, how would I go about getting a shock that's 2" longer?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
how far you can go with the torsion keys is actually determined by the ball joint in the upper control arm. when raising the truck the angle of the ball joint stud gets to its limit and can be damaged. with the truck at "adjusted" ride height there still needs to be a couple inches of drop available. if the shock and upper arm are at their limits, when you drive over a hole the entire truck has to drop, not just the front wheel. makes for a lousy ride and no articulation.

my 2000 has a minor tweaking of the torsion bars. the wheel didn't drop much and the ride was bad. extender on top of the shocks didn't work, the height was too much. the fix was modified front shocks to be adjustable in length.
I cut the lower shock stems in the middle, then threaded the ends. one with standard right threads, the other with left threads. then I drilled out a big bolt and threaded the hole as right in one end, left in the other. acquired matching L & R nuts for locking, and I now have adjustable length front shocks. that's a bit much for most guys, maybe cutting the top stem and re-threading it for the adapters would work best for you.

for starters, with the wheels on the ground, remove the shock and measure for ride height, extended, and compressed lengths needed.

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I lowered it further when I got it back from NTB, the ride was so harsh that small bumps would make the truck leap. I don't think it dropped, just softer ride. The shocks are nearing their end-of-life so I figured I'd find shocks that would accommodate the extra inch or two.

pretty cool idea with your adjustable shocks... a little more than I care to do, 20 yrs ago, maybe!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I lowered it further when I got it back from NTB, the ride was so harsh that small bumps would make the truck leap. I don't think it dropped, just softer ride. The shocks are nearing their end-of-life so I figured I'd find shocks that would accommodate the extra inch or two.

pretty cool idea with your adjustable shocks... a little more than I care to do, 20 yrs ago, maybe!

I'm 65. wrenching is my hobby.

DaveThePear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I removed the superspring and turned the torsion adjusters out 8 turns, almost touching the keeper to the key! The coilover shocks hold the unloaded height nicely, and the ride is soooooo much better. cornering isn't as tight, but I think I'm happy with the height and ride... and I don't need special shocks! If I decide I need more spring, I can get a longer shackle for the spring.

oddly enough it was a good thing I took it off, the mount on the passenger side for the superspring was borked and about to pop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals