• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 "leveling kit"

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
So, I picked up a set of the rough country leveling keys formy 2011. they're for the 2008 and back trucks. Figured it would give me the older trucks ride height, plus a claimed additional 2-3 inches.

So here in lies the real question...

For the rear, is it going to be better to use the pre 2008 blocks and shackle, blocks and an add a leaf, or explorer spring packs?

Open to suggestions on this one. No.idea which will be better in the long run, and handle better.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So... are you planning on using all of what the rough country keys can give you? Do you have a tire size in mind that will go on?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So... are you planning on using all of what the rough country keys can give you? Do you have a tire size in mind that will go on?
Yesum, planning on utilizing them to their "max"

Not sure on tire size yet. Probably going tonswap my 88s 31s on it for the remainder of the winter.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yesum, planning on utilizing them to their "max"

Not sure on tire size yet. Probably going tonswap my 88s 31s on it for the remainder of the winter.
"Max" can put things on pretty steep angles. Wear your stuff out "quick" and where the hell did my road manners go angles.

I've never done what you want to do... so no advice for what to do in the rear either... But I'm watching you proceed with the plan so you can teach me.

To quote Shark Tank... "For those reasons... I'm out"

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I suppose my goal would be 4" higher than factory 2011.

A man can do a lot with 4 inches. Trust me. I know. ??

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A man can do a lot with 4 inches. Trust me. I know. ??
I would have no idea what that is like...

My 06 at stock ride height clears a 32 inch tire. I would think your RC reindexed keys will put your truck higher then mine at the lowest possible point. You will probably have to get those in place and then see what you need to make up in the rear.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had an 02' with the torsion bar twist and belltech shackles set to the highest mount on stock (220k springs) and think I could've easily fit 32"s under it. The ride wasn't terrible, but before I got rid of it I had a set of explorer leafs to swap out and never did it because I thought the ride may be too stiff unloaded. Only pic I had of it before I sold it (feel free to ignore the dusty mustang.)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'd suggest the pre-'08 blocks and extended shackle. Explorer leafs would be good option too. The add-a-leaf is likely to stiffen the ride too much (and short AALs also stress the rest of the leaves too much IMO).

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Are you thinking of upgrading the rear leafs from 1250# to 1750#? If so, lift pre-2008 blocks might be the better approach. If you are looking at keeping the stock springs, longer rear shackles might be the cheaper/better approach.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I did both on the rear. I found a set of 2.5 inch blocks from an earlier ranger to replace the 1.5 inch blocks on mine. Then I added the belltech shackle, but didn't use the end hole, I used the one before it. This got me about 1.5-1.75 inches of lift.

For the front, I would recommend that you see what torsion bars you have, and maybe replace them with some #1 bars.

I originally had purchased the earlier torsion keys (pre-key mod) for the front of mine, and had to max out the driver side key to level it out ( I was running factory B rated torsion bars) with about 40,000 miles. When I upgraded to #1 bars (purchase from Tasca for about 200 bucks for both), I was able to level the truck and had quite a bit of thread left on the adjustment bolt on the driver side (1/4-3/8 inch). The ride improved dramatically.

Also, upgrade the shocks while you are there, you will need extended length (I used Rancho 5000X).

I currently run 31 inch (265/70R16) tires, and could easily clear 32's, maybe even 33's

No complaints, and I don't think I will need to upgrade the driveshaft anytime soon.

HOWEVER, if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, and you want 4" of lift, just get the Superlift Kit and be done with it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would have no idea what that is like...

My 06 at stock ride height clears a 32 inch tire. I would think your RC reindexed keys will put your truck higher then mine at the lowest possible point. You will probably have to get those in place and then see what you need to make up in the rear.
So uh... Gump... Are you saying mine's bigger? ?

Yes, I'm still 14 at heart. Judge all ya want; I'm happy. :thefinger:

I had an 02' with the torsion bar twist and belltech shackles set to the highest mount on stock (220k springs) and think I could've easily fit 32"s under it. The ride wasn't terrible, but before I got rid of it I had a set of explorer leafs to swap out and never did it because I thought the ride may be too stiff unloaded. Only pic I had of it before I sold it (feel free to ignore the dusty mustang.)
So the idea behind the exploder springs was 2-3" of lift without blocking and shackle-ing my way there while keeping a softer spring. I'm starting to suspect my spring packs have been overloaded a few times; put a BII rear sway bar under it the other day (it did not have a rear bar from the factory) and its a different truck now. Guessing theyre still wrapping (feels like it at least). My overloads are facing the wrong direction (they bend down instead of up), which is what leads me to suspect they're shot. I texted a photo to bobby asking if they looked right to him. His answer was "hell no"

I'm forever leery on using lift shackles from my Jeep days after watching the TJ guys have to prybar theirs back to the right position after getting in a bind. Are they a problem on ranger? Any (even ancidotal) stories of shackles flipping over?

I'd suggest the pre-'08 blocks and extended shackle. Explorer leafs would be good option too. The add-a-leaf is likely to stiffen the ride too much (and short AALs also stress the rest of the leaves too much IMO).
Pulled a set of lift blocks, sway bar stuff, U bolts, spring plates, etc. out of a 2003. Have everything blasted and powder coated on the shelf ready to go. Just haven't installed until I have a game plan.

Re-using U bolts... Have heard storied both ways. Thoughts?

Not a fan of the AALs either. One of my XJs had Superlift AALs on it. Forever squeaky. Would like to avoid, but if a better option than blocks and shackles, so be it.

Are you thinking of upgrading the rear leafs from 1250# to 1750#? If so, lift pre-2008 blocks might be the better approach. If you are looking at keeping the stock springs, longer rear shackles might be the cheaper/better approach.
I have thought about a few times. Not sure what I have under there now. 3+1 configuration with Berlin eyes if its any indication.

I like the 1750s under the 88... to a point. They are really nice to have when I use the bed. But, it rides like a damn buckboard at times.

I do want to keep the '11 as more of a street truck, so handling is the first consideration when it comes to the suspension. Especially since the remainder of the M90 blower kit shipped this morning :yahoo: Just need to find a machine shop not run by satan to finish off the plenum, and it will be installed.

Yes, I do realize lifting raises CoG, etc, etc. However, I'm also 6'3", and its a little low for me just getting in and out.

I did both on the rear. I found a set of 2.5 inch blocks from an earlier ranger to replace the 1.5 inch blocks on mine. Then I added the belltech shackle, but didn't use the end hole, I used the one before it. This got me about 1.5-1.75 inches of lift.

For the front, I would recommend that you see what torsion bars you have, and maybe replace them with some #1 bars.

I originally had purchased the earlier torsion keys (pre-key mod) for the front of mine, and had to max out the driver side key to level it out ( I was running factory B rated torsion bars) with about 40,000 miles. When I upgraded to #1 bars (purchase from Tasca for about 200 bucks for both), I was able to level the truck and had quite a bit of thread left on the adjustment bolt on the driver side (1/4-3/8 inch). The ride improved dramatically.

Also, upgrade the shocks while you are there, you will need extended length (I used Rancho 5000X).

I currently run 31 inch (265/70R16) tires, and could easily clear 32's, maybe even 33's

No complaints, and I don't think I will need to upgrade the driveshaft anytime soon.

HOWEVER, if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, and you want 4" of lift, just get the Superlift Kit and be done with it.
Thought about the superlift kit, but, I'm cheap.

Literally just looked at the #1 bars on Tasca this morning, and read a few threads debating the differences in part numbers for them. I still am unsure of which they are, mostly because I need to crawl back under it and look.

Amazes me that no one seems to produce an improved/aftermarket bar for these trucks. Figured someone absolutely would have. Very interested if you know of one. How do you like your #1s? Just a ride quality improvement, or noticable differences in handling, etc?

The current ones I believe are the B rated bar with 118k on them. No idea what their service life is. Definately feels spongy on the front, and tires are wearing slightly more on the inside. Waiting until I have the suspension modifications finished for an alignment. These tires are garbage (Cooper all-seasons), so no loss if they die an early death.

Coilovers were considered for the front until I saw the price tag for the kit. Not happening.

Already hung Bilstein 4600s on all four corners. Checked length on them when I did, and I can safely go up another 4" or so before needing longer shocks. Crazy how low the 2011s sit.

Not sure what I'm going to land with for tires. Something in the 29-31" range. Unsure if I'm sticking with the 15" wheels, or going to 16" yet. Since pavement and dirt roads are going to be the majority of the truck's service life, I've been reading on what to go for as far as tires are concerned. I'm leaning towards something in the 30" range, just much wider than the 235/75/R15s that are on it now.

Aftermarket rims and (unfortunately) spacers have been considered to increase stance width, but, once again, I'm cheap. Would like to stay with aluminum construction for brake cooling though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
3/1 springs are 1250#. Yeah, your over load plates should be flat. At least mine are.

If you pre-2008 key the truck and put blocks in the back or install and extended shackle, 31” will fit just fine. Stock suspension, the 2011 is a bit over stuffed and rubs on the wheel liner humps at full lock and probably will after a heavy dip.

That is part of the reason I’m focusing on the suspension upgrades over the regear and locker first. I’m still price shopping but to get everything at pre-2008 ride height and proper shocks for the height increase, it’s looking like it’s gonna cost a grand to do it right.

EDIT: The thought occurred to me that people are going to ask why so much. On top of keys, lift blocks, shocks, and u-bolts, there is #1 torsion bars and 1750# leaf springs. Plus the necessary tool for the replacement of the torsion keys.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
On a side note, let us know how it rides before and after.

The Bilsteins you're using now will accept the 4-inches of lift? Will they accept the additional down travel? Which shock P/N's are you using?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm forever leery on using lift shackles from my Jeep days after watching the TJ guys have to prybar theirs back to the right position after getting in a bind. Are they a problem on ranger? Any (even ancidotal) stories of shackles flipping over?
A TJ does not have shackles (but a YJ does :p ).

Never seen an inverted shackle happen on a RBV (well, once on a poorly-done SAS I did see one lol). Plenty of people here run them too (inc. myself).

Re-using U bolts... Have heard storied both ways. Thoughts?
This thread came up some years back...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
On a side note, let us know how it rides before and after.

The Bilsteins you're using now will accept the 4-inches of lift? Will they accept the additional down travel? Which shock P/N's are you using?
That's the problem with cranking the bars up 4 inches... there is no down travel left.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals