• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 4X4 problems

Bside003

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Took a look at a friends 2011 Ranger because the 4WD wasn't working. The 4WD light was on, but only the rear tires had power. Turned the switch to 2WD and 4Lo but nothing happened. Checked the switch with my meter and it looked like it was working (different resistances on pins 2 &3 at the different positions). Took the transfer case motor off and tried the switch again but the motor never moved. I turned the transfer case shaft and it appeared to go into the different gears but the light on the dash never changed from 4HI. So right now I'm thinking the transfer case motor is bad with other possible problems too. Is there any way to test the computer module to see if it's bad too? Any other items I should check?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

There are no sensors inside the transfer case, the 4WD lights are activated by the shift motor moving into correct position

Check fuse 27(20amp) in engine bay fuse box, that powers the shift motor

Shift motor has 7 wires
Only 2 power the electric motor
The other 5 are the position "sensors" in the housing, the ones that cause the dash lights to show 4high or 4low

Its a DC motor, so if one wire is 12v and other other wire a ground then motor turns clockwise, if wires are reversed then motor turns counter clockwise
Works the same as power window motors, in fact its the same motor, lol

So you can take the shift motor to the battery and use short jumper wires to test it

If the 4WD light is on thats a good sign the 4x4CM(control module) is OK, not 100% just a good sign
4x4CM is behind the radio in 2011(2004-2011)

Shift motors do fail from disuse, rarely from overuse, disuse causes the brushes in the electric motor to seize so they can't slide and make contact with rotor, so no +/- electricity can flow and spin the rotor

Good look here on what inside the shift motor: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/rebuilding-a-ford-transfer-case-shift-motor/

Once its working again tell your friend to shift from 2WD to 4high then to 4low and then back to 2WD while sitting in the driveway, once a month, don't have to drive it just shift it, that will make shift motor last longer

Bside003

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron, thats a pretty interesting write up on rebuilding the motor. This motor looks pretty crusty though. I ordered the motor so I can rule it out

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
Welcome to the forum

There are no sensors inside the transfer case, the 4WD lights are activated by the shift motor moving into correct position

Check fuse 27(20amp) in engine bay fuse box, that powers the shift motor

Shift motor has 7 wires
Only 2 power the electric motor
The other 5 are the position "sensors" in the housing, the ones that cause the dash lights to show 4high or 4low

Its a DC motor, so if one wire is 12v and other other wire a ground then motor turns clockwise, if wires are reversed then motor turns counter clockwise
Works the same as power window motors, in fact its the same motor, lol

So you can take the shift motor to the battery and use short jumper wires to test it

If the 4WD light is on thats a good sign the 4x4CM(control module) is OK, not 100% just a good sign
4x4CM is behind the radio in 2011(2004-2011)

Shift motors do fail from disuse, rarely from overuse, disuse causes the brushes in the electric motor to seize so they can't slide and make contact with rotor, so no +/- electricity can flow and spin the rotor

Good look here on what inside the shift motor: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/rebuilding-a-ford-transfer-case-shift-motor/

Once its working again tell your friend to shift from 2WD to 4high then to 4low and then back to 2WD while sitting in the driveway, once a month, don't have to drive it just shift it, that will make shift motor last longer
Wow...10 out of 10 for that answer....and because you answered that so well do you think you could look at the post need help with mazda b3000 pretty please? Another set of eyes would be greatly appreciated. https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-help-with-mazda-b3000-1994.201107/

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Just be aware, if your 2011 is like the earlier models, there are special conditions that have to be met before it will go into 4 lo. You can't be moving, and I think you have to be in neutral or park, neutral is better. If it's a manual I think the clutch has to be pushed in before it will go into 4 lo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals