• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 4-Liter Rebuild

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just brought home a 2011 Sport 4x4 with a blown head gasket. I bought this truck with the intentions of hacking it up for my diesel conversion project, but this truck is too nice, so it's getting put back together as Ford built it. This was my first time going through a 4 liter. I had both heads reworked and checked at the machine shop. During the rework, I replaced the timing chains and all of the gaskets. It would be silly to not do it while I'm in there.
I purchased a Cloyes timing set, with the balance shaft set. I was surprised when I removed the timing cover. There was no counterbalance shaft on the motor.

Something I was very surprised about during the build was the fact that the Cloyes kit did not come with new jackshaft bolts. They are one time use only, torque to yield bolts. I assumed they came in the kit. I didn't realize they weren't there until I went to time the engine. Napa, AutoZone, rock auto, no one but Ford has these bolts. So here is my question? Are people actually replacing these bolts, or are the old ones being reused? I'm betting no one is spending the $28 for one bolt from Ford. I'm not going to chance it myself.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
While I haven't done work to this level on a 4.0 SOHC, I have worked on other engines. I have never reused torque-to-yield in any engine intended to run again. I agree with your inclination to do so. Especially with the amount of work required to get to where those bolts are. If one fails, it's not like you can just fix it where it sits and move on.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I personally would not reuse most bolts that are torque to yield. When I did the tensioners and guides on my Grand Marquis, I got a new bolt for the crankshaft pulley. It was not worth the risk. When I did brakes on my mother's Jeep Cherokee KL (new one, not the classic XJ), the caliper bolts were torque to yield. I purchased new ones from the dealer, and had to wait a couple days because they did not have them in stock. The parts guy said to me, "Well, you really don't have to replace them, we don't when we do brake jobs."

The only time I did reuse bolts was when I removed the bed of my pickup. I believe they were designed to be replaced. However, with the price they got for the bolts at that time, times 10, since ford decided the Ranger needed 10 bolts for the bed, I held off. The bed is different than the engine, brakes, drivetrain, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals