• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 2WD XL Tire Upgrade

mille1902

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I’m in need of some help picking out new tires for my Ranger.

I drive a bone stock 2WD 2011 XL automatic regular cab with a 2.3l 4 cylinder. The truck has stock 4.10 gears. No lift, no suspension — stock.

I am currently running stock 225/70r15 Continental tires. I am interested in upgrading one size but am concerned about straining my car (engine, gears, fuel economy, etc.).

I would like to install a set of 235/75r15 all-terrain tires. Do you think this would be okay for my vehicle or should I stick with the 225/70’s? Also, I plan to continue using the stock 15x7 Ford wheels.

I realize there are questions similar to mine on this forum but I was struggling to find one specific to this exact vehicle (year, transmission, etc.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I’m in need of some help picking out new tires for my Ranger.

I drive a bone stock 2WD 2011 XL automatic regular cab with a 2.3l 4 cylinder. The truck has stock 4.10 gears. No lift, no suspension — stock.

I am currently running stock 225/70r15 Continental tires. I am interested in upgrading one size but am concerned about straining my car (engine, gears, fuel economy, etc.).

I would like to install a set of 235/75r17 all-terrain tires. Do you think this would be okay for my vehicle or should I stick with the 225/70’s? Also, I plan to continue using the stock 15x7 Ford wheels.

I realize there are questions similar to mine on this forum but I was struggling to find one specific to this exact vehicle (year, transmission, etc.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think you may not understand tire sizes. The R17 at the end means it fits a 17" rim. Obviously a tire made for a 17" rim wont fit your stock 15" rim... Or was that simply a misprint? In which case a 235/75r15 will fit. They are only 2 inches bigger overall.

Last edited:

mille1902

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think you may not understand tire sizes. The R17 at the end means it fits a 17" rim. Obviously a tire made for a 17" rim wont fit your stock 15" rim... Or was that simply a misprint? In which case a 235/75r15 will fit. They are only 2 inches bigger overall.
Sorry yes, that was a misprint. I am wanting to get the 235/75r15. They will fit with no rubbing on a stock truck (no lift at all)? Also, I am more concerned, even if they fit, with affecting performance, messing with the engine/gears/fuel economy of my 2.3l 2wd single cab. Do you have any advice — would you stick with the 225’s or size up to the 235’s in my situation?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You will loose some acceleration (minimal) and gain a tad of highway fuel mileage. I doubt you will even notice. It's just not that big of a change in size. I plan to run the same tires on my truck which is identical to yours next time I'm due for new ones.

225/70's are 27.5" 235/75's are 29" so your truck will sit 3/4" taller... Barely a difference.

mille1902

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You will loose some acceleration (minimal) and gain a tad of highway fuel mileage. I doubt you will even notice. It's just not that big of a change in size. I plan to run the same tires on my truck which is identical to yours next time I'm due for new ones.

225/70's are 27.5" 235/75's are 29" so your truck will sit 3/4" taller... Barely a difference.
Ok thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. Yours is fully stock without lift also? And you don’t think the 235’s will rub at all? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just wanna make sure before I pull the trigger.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes mine is a bone stock 2wd 2.3 auto. I have seen guys run 31x10.5" wide tires on stock 2wds with no issue. The difference between your 225/70's and 235/75's is tiny. You will not rub.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
235/75r15 on my 2010 XLT before the lift. The performance change is barely noticeable, but it made a huge difference in the overall look of the truck. No rubbing whatsoever. This size is also in that sweet spot where there are a lot of choices, but most of the tires in this size (even C-rated LT all-terrains) are A. reasonably inexpensive and B. light. 10/10 would recommend.

Attachments

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
many of the XL trucks came with 15 x 6 wheels. be sure to verify your size.

my 2005 is the same as yours, but with a manual transmission. 235-75R15 is a great fit.

mille1902

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
235/75r15 on my 2010 XLT before the lift. The performance change is barely noticeable, but it made a huge difference in the overall look of the truck. No rubbing whatsoever. This size is also in that sweet spot where there are a lot of choices, but most of the tires in this size (even C-rated LT all-terrains) are A. reasonably inexpensive and B. light. 10/10 would recommend.
Is your XLT automatic, 2WD and 2.3L 4 cylinder as well? Also, do you know what gears you have? Mine has the stock 4.10.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Is your XLT automatic, 2WD and 2.3L 4 cylinder as well? Also, do you know what gears you have? Mine has the stock 4.10.
Mine's a 4cyl as well, but I have the manual and 3.73 gears.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Danno, did you swap the spare to the 235 as well? That's one place Im not sure if it fits since it's pretty tight under there. Not that it matters at all unless your running an LSD. My spare is 10 years old so I need to replace it when I get new tires.

Btw nice looking truck.

Last edited:

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
Danno, did you swap the spare to the 235 as well? That's one place Im not sure if it fits since it's pretty tight under there. Not that it matters at all unless your running an LSD. My spare is 10 years old so I need to replace it when I get new tires.

Btw nice looking truck.
235/75 will fit just fine under the bed; I keep mine in the bed though.

mille1902

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
235/75 will fit just fine under the bed; I keep mine in the bed though.
How big/what kind of lift did you install? And what specifically did you use to mount your spare in the bed?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Are those Mazda Rims or did they come stock on that Ranger?

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
How big/what kind of lift did you install? And what specifically did you use to mount your spare in the bed?
It has a 3" performance accessories body lift. I planned on doing spindles but after hearing about people having issues with suspension lifts and the Advancetrac, I figured a body lift would mostly give me the height I wanted without risking endless headaches and warning lights. I think it looks pretty good - it looks a lot tamer on the 2wd than it does on a 4x4. Historically I had always been opposed to body lifts but I'm happy with the amount of lift and the fact that I didn't have to mess with alignment. You really can't see the frame at all. The hitch looks goofy because it hangs down lower now, but I'm planning on removing it since this truck's tow capacity is pretty laughable and the bumper should be able to handle towing a couple canoes, etc. Here's what the truck looks like currently. Pardon the snow; we got hit pretty hard last night and the entire truck is encased in a crust of ice, so that should be fun. �� Right now the spare is just on the floor of the bed between two sandbags with a chain to one of the bed tie-downs.

Are those Mazda Rims or did they come stock on that Ranger?
They're stock XLT 15x7s, but you're right - i was looking at some old pictures of early-90s Mazda B-series and it looks like Ford repurposed the rims. For my summer setup, I have a set of steelies that I'll be running some old school Bronco II center caps on. I'm still debating whether to run this size for my summer/all-terrain setup, or bump it up to 31x10.5s. The truck seems to have enough headroom on the gearing side to handle slightly bigger tires, for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals