• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2010 ranger fx4 title chasing?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Found this truck on the local Facebook marketplace and the previous owner lost the title and with the covid stuff the motor vehicle is closed and only accepting appointments in April. I did a vin check and and it doesn’t show up as salvage or stolen... my question is do you guys think it would be worth chasing the title? It’s a super nice and clean truck I just need to reassemble the engine since he started an intake o-ring job and never finished.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you are confident it's not stolen and doesn't have any lien's on the title. For all you know he skipped out on a title loan place and owes them a bunch of money. Or he just got a divorce and half of it's value is his ex-wife's. Definitely get a bill of sale with his signature.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It comes down to your state laws. Some states you can re-title with just a bill of sale if it comes up clean with no leins, salvaged, stolen etc. Some states you have to basically hire a team of lawyers and a voodoo priest. No matter what get that bill of sale, signed, dated, multiple copies, notarized if possible.

Also comes down to price. With no title, at least here in NJ I would barely be willing to go over scrap value for any vehicle without a title because with no title, thats what you're selling me. Scrap.

I've bought alot of cars with no title over the years. Only one ever got re-titled and put back on the road. That process was a nightmare and no one can really even tell me if the car is 100% legit. The DMV approved it but technically the title is from a different car. There was no VIN so they didn't care.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have all the bills of sale, his address, etc....
I even ran the vin number and it came back clean. I wouldn’t have loaded it up onto my trailer unless the vin came back clean

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It comes down to your state laws. Some states you can re-title with just a bill of sale if it comes up clean with no leins, salvaged, stolen etc. Some states you have to basically hire a team of lawyers and a voodoo priest. No matter what get that bill of sale, signed, dated, multiple copies, notarized if possible.

Also comes down to price. With no title, at least here in NJ I would barely be willing to go over scrap value for any vehicle without a title because with no title, thats what you're selling me. Scrap.

I've bought alot of cars with no title over the years. Only one ever got re-titled and put back on the road. That process was a nightmare and no one can really even tell me if the car is 100% legit. The DMV approved it but technically the title is from a different car. There was no VIN so they didn't care.
I’ve never done the title process so it’s all new to me. I only paid $500 for the truck and it’s only got 140k miles. I’m probably gonna go to the local sheriff office and have them run the vin ?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I’ve never done the title process so it’s all new to me. I only paid $500 for the truck and it’s only got 140k miles. I’m probably gonna go to the local sheriff office and have them run the vin ?
That would probably be a good idea if they are willing. Anything you can do to cover your butt in case something pops up down the road. I don't know how in depth checking the vin online goes. Like does it show if the truck is currently still being paid off, like the other dude stated maybe an issue with ownership between husband and wife, if a mechanic worked on it and was never paid he could have a lien on it etc. Stolen or salvaged would be obvious but I dunno about the financial stuff like that.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Can't speak for Idaho, but yes by all means see if you can get a (somewhat) clear answer from YOUR state. I had to do something similar, not exact, with a title that wasn't clear on a motorhome that a brain-damaged ex bought which had an out-of-state title that didn't match the name of the people she bought it from..... OMG what a mess. Fortunately I knew a tire shop owner who dabbled in flipping junk cars and I will be forever grateful to him for connecting me with the right people to end that nightmare. But all that was specific to where I live, so I wouldn't even begin to guess if there are any parallels.

Where I'm at, a salvage yard will NOT take a vehicle with no title, so people who have junk cars that they have lost the titles to just abandon them on the street (I know some folks at a wrecker company who told me this) and just let them get impounded. Once they are impounded for being abandoned, there's a process where some sort of impound title gets generated, so they can be auctioned off.

Anyway, just an example of one state law that doesn't apply to you, there's 48 more where that came from I'm sure. I'd be making some phone calls.......

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
A vehicle with a loan on it should have a lien on the title, and that would have been filed with paperwork when the title was transferred from the manufacturer (or dealer) to the person who bought it. So the state should have a record of any lien. That's the normal process. Divorce / etc., that's (typically) just a paragraph in the decree, typically, awarding each party whatever, if the decree even has that much detail. If it really was an ex's and they found out about it, it would probably be a civil court matter for someone to press a claim, maybe, depending on state law.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have been in title messes before, but I never have had to find out if a vehicle was clear of any other obiligations. Will the sheriff or the DMV look at the title for you and tell you it's clean? I don't know. There may be privacy laws they don't want to break. They don't know who you are or have to believe your story and figure out what your motives are. I would be curious how this goes for you.

You are in the same pickle I was in several times. The more you try to find out, the more exposed you are and the more you are in jeopardy of losing your $500. The truck is not really yours till you get a title in your name so anything can happen and they can jerk the vehicle away from you. In one case I was looking at how many parts I could sell off to recoup my investment if the worst happened.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think we can all agree... there sure are alot of worms in this can! :icon_rofl:

$500 bucks aint a bad price though, I'd probably pay that with no title. But I'd be leary investing a single penny into any repairs until it's legally declared mine. Get the title sorted before you go dump a bunch of time and money into it just to have it end up being repossessed by an angry ex wife of the previous owner lol.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would not trust an engine worked on by someone dumb enough to loose a title.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Unless it was being used as an off road vehicle on private land, I wouldn’t buy it.

It sounds like you already did. I wish you the best on getting that headache sorted out.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I would be careful in this whole process.

Is this vehicle a Canadian model, because Ford discontinued the FX4 option for the Ranger in 2009, in 2010 the highest option was the SPORT model. I would also try and search for other spots on the truck that a VIN may be located. If you find a different VIN in another spot, I would also have that number run as well. You never know if somebody cobbled a few different vehicles together to make one.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be careful in this whole process.

Is this vehicle a Canadian model, because Ford discontinued the FX4 option for the Ranger in 2009, in 2010 the highest option was the SPORT model. I would also try and search for other spots on the truck that a VIN may be located. If you find a different VIN in another spot, I would also have that number run as well. You never know if somebody cobbled a few different vehicles together to make one.
Without a title it could be an '09 model year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals