• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2010 Ranger factory stereo needs replacing. Recommendations & guidance requested.

Gary_Williams

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Recommendations & guidance requested, please.

DonC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don't have a credo
I'm in the same boat with my 2008 Ranger: needing to replace the crummy factory radio. Although there are numerous cool double-din options (which, I understand, is the correct size), the factory dash/bezel complicates things. From what I can tell, there aren't any "big screen" android/GPS/DVD/multimedia heads that will fit. All the ones I've seen on Crutchfield carry the following "installation notes:"
  • You'll have to modify your vehicle's sub-dash to install a new car stereo.
  • The factory radio cannot be reinstalled once you've modified your vehicle's dash panel or sub-dash.
  • Use care when installing the dash kit. Once the kit is snapped into place, you won't be able to remove it without also removing the entire dash panel.
I'm far from an expert, so I'll stay tuned to this thread to see what others say. . .

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I will be doing this in a '97 F150 some time in the next couple weeks. The exact same notes came up for my installation, too. Once everything arrived, I read through the installation instructions. It appears that my dash has an inner part that slopes down from the top in the back and I will have to cut some of that away with a Dremel tool. Then there are two side pieces that look like they will snap into the OEM bracket to hold the new unit in place. It doesn't sound too bad. But I haven't done it yet. I got my backup camera cable routed to the tailgate and have made and installed a bracket to hold my satellite radio tuner dock. But other than researching wiring connections, that's as far as I have gotten so far.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I was going to do a swap as well. When I do I'll probably go with a single DIN and get an adapter with the little extra storage bin. That way I can move the stereo lower so the reflection I get off the rear window in the mirror isn't so annoying at night.

In the meantime I dragged out a bunch of old cassette tapes I hadn't listened to in ages and have been enjoying that. Sounds rather good actually.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals