• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2010 31 spline swap

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 2010 ranger with a 28 spline 8.8 disc factory. I am looking at swaping the explorer 31 axle but I got one problem/question? I got four wheel abs as well as traction control and rsc so needles to say. I got sensors. Lol. Does anybody know what works and what doesnt. I got four corner wheel sensors. Not the tone ring

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't be sure, but I think you are SOL. The Explorer axle won't have provisions for your rear wheel sensors, just for the center tone ring. Your 2010 brakes won't install on the 31 spline axle, unless you 2010 has a 31 spline axle then what's the point of the swap.

Do you really need the 31 spline? Since you already have 4 wheel disks I don't really see the point in upgrading.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I looked at this thread this morning and I have been pondering it all day. I think I have a solution that may work for you.

F-150s for the last few years have had a 31-spline 8.8 with the wheel speed sensors as tone rings out at the end of the axle shaft. Their rear caliper is pretty much the same as the Ranger one, but the parking brake is a bit different. Same idea, different shape on the actuator arm, and the whole thing is turned about 90*.

Anyway.... I'm thinking get your Explorer 31-spline axle, brakes, and parking cables. Use F-150 backing plates and tone rings, to get your ABS working. If you can get just the tone ring you should be able to install it over the Explorer shafts.

This is all just brain storming from knowing what uses similar parts. I have no idea if it will actually work or not, you will have to do your own leg work there.

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Josh. There is a few reasons. First is I got access to an alburn pro 31 spline. Second is I added a campershell and soon a overhead basket so its become a bit of a tedder todder. Problem I run into is the 2010 sport doesnt feature a swaybar nor provisions for. Now I wouldnt car other then I dont like my computer hiting my brakes for me when I tilt my truck in a corner and I drive alot of high speed turns. Adsm: I think that is gonna be the ticket. Only thing I am gonna have to check on is teeth count

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, you need to compare tooth count and diameter.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
F-150s for the last few years have had a 31-spline 8.8 with the wheel speed sensors as tone rings out at the end of the axle shaft. Their rear caliper is pretty much the same as the Ranger one, but the parking brake is a bit different. Same idea, different shape on the actuator arm, and the whole thing is turned about 90*.
After I posted I had a similar though, but dismissed it for a couple reasons. First those later model F-150 are 6 lug. Second was that I didn't even know for sure that it was still using the 8.8" rear. It may be as simple as using the F-150 brakes with the Explorer rotors. :dunno:

Are the current Mustangs using a 31 spline 8.8? That may be another option for parts and it would have the right lug pattern. EDIT: Just checked the '05+ V8 Mustang come with 31 spline axles so maybe...

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know the F-150s are the wrong lug pattern, but the shaft diameter should be correct. In theory he should be able to just slap one of those tone rings on an Explorer axle.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know the F-150s are the wrong lug pattern, but the shaft diameter should be correct. In theory he should be able to just slap one of those tone rings on an Explorer axle.
That theory would be nice, unfortunately it's just a hypothesis at this point. :icon_twisted:

In all seriousness though. Some things make sense looking at them on paper, but the engineers designed just enough differences that they won't work. I can easily see this being one of those cases, though I admit that I don't know how the tone rings mount up on these.

Problem I run into is the 2010 sport doesnt feature a swaybar nor provisions for.
What sway bar provisions? I assume you mean mounts on the axle.

The explorer axles had mounts welded to the axle tubes, but that's mainly because every Explorer came with a rear sway bar. The Rangers varied some came with and some came without. The Rangers used a u-bolt clamp to mount the bars to the axles, these clamps can be gotten from the same donor as the sway bar. Not trying to tell you not to install the Explorer axle, it's your truck and if that's what you want do it, but sway bars are a bad reason to do it. Should that fall through you can still install a factory (or even aftermarket) sway bar on your existing axle.

:Insert Soap Box Smilie here: Feel free to just ignore this next part.

IMO (not that you asked for it) The benefits of an Explorer axle are added strength, disk brakes, and limited slip (if you get it). The added strength of a 31 spline axle is nice, but completely unnecessary for a Ranger unless you are going extreme on tire size or installing a V8 (you are doing neither). You already have disk brakes. Limited slip, well you ain't planning to use factory limited slip anyway. To install that axle you have to convert it to spring over (requires welding), install spring perches (requires welding), and figure out a solution to ABS, TC, and RSC issues. On top of that the sway bar that was one of your driving forces for the swap won't fit right because it interferes with the shock location required for the Ranger. The The Auburn would be nice, but since that's the only real beneficial gain of your swap plans it just isn't worth it.

I say all that, but I am planning to install an Explorer axle in my 99. My current axle has some slack in the pinion. Annoys the heck out of me, but I don't want to put whole truck in shop to fix it which means getting a second axle. I hate working on and adjusting drum breaks. The added braking power of disks would also be nice with my 32" tires. My truck has an open differential. My dad's is basically the same truck, but with LS. With me driving both there are places we hunt that his will go in 2wd, but mine needs 4wd. If I could find a 2010 axle locally with LS and 4.10 gears that I could just bolt in I'd go that route instead, but we don't get stuff that new around here. Since I'll have to modify an axle anyway, buying a complete Explorer axle is cheaper. I'll be cutting off the factory sway bar perches and using my existing bar, and welding on new spring perches and shock tabs. I also don't have to worry about sensors, I've just got the one in the pumpkin.

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
I say all that, but I am planning to install an Explorer axle in my 99. My current axle has some slack in the pinion. Annoys the heck out of me, but I don't want to put whole truck in shop to fix it which means getting a second axle. I hate working on and adjusting drum breaks. The added braking power of disks would also be nice with my 32" tires. My truck has an open differential. My dad's is basically the same truck, but with LS. With me driving both there are places we hunt that his will go in 2wd, but mine needs 4wd. If I could find a 2010 axle locally with LS and 4.10 gears that I could just bolt in I'd go that route instead, but we don't get stuff that new around here. Since I'll have to modify an axle anyway, buying a complete Explorer axle is cheaper. I'll be cutting off the factory sway bar perches and using my existing bar, and welding on new spring perches and shock tabs. I also don't have to worry about sensors, I've just got the one in the pumpkin.

First your sway bar mounts you want to transfer over wont fit the exlporer8.8, has bigger tubes. And the 2010 ranger 8.8 disk axle never had the option for an LSD.

Second what if i told you i am giving Brenden an 8.8 explorer diff with a new auburn pro LSD all for free.

Third 8.8explorer has a load capacity 3200lbs compared to any ranger axle at 2700lbs.

Fourth the truck may not have a HiPo motor nor ever will, but the added weight of a shell, carpet kit, (enclosed ladder rack with jack, spare tire, and room for 8 people to sit in chairs) may dictate the bigger sway bar, axle tube dia. and spline count.

Fifth we were just at the ridgcrest 300 working pit 'C' for our race team. if we destroy the axle in any way how would we pit for our team?

Sixth we have our reasons and do what we will do, the how is what he was asking...

ITS BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT, THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First your sway bar mounts you want to transfer over wont fit the exlporer8.8, has bigger tubes. And the 2010 ranger 8.8 disk axle never had the option for an LSD.
I was aware of the former, but there other ways to fix that. I've even read of several people that have used the 28 spline mounting hardware on a 31 spline axle with no problems.

I was not aware of the latter. That's just stupid on Ford's part, but then so were a lot of the things they did with Rangers in the later years.

Second what if i told you i am giving Brenden an 8.8 explorer diff with a new auburn pro LSD all for free.
Well, let's see... Nope he didn't say all of that, just that he had access to the Auburn. In response to what you say, I'd say I wish I had your paycheck. If you weren't on the other side of the country I'd also say let me have that stock axle when you get done. I could install a LSD, but you are on the other side of the country and if it can't use the pumpkin sensor I can't use it.

The fact that he has access to a FREE Auburn and a FREE Explorer 8.8, and someone that can help him get the axle set-up, welded and installed makes things a lot different. Still doesn't help his ABS, TC, and RSC issues though.

Third 8.8explorer has a load capacity 3200lbs compared to any ranger axle at 2700lbs.
I would point out that that load capacity is based on more than just the axle. It's also based on vehicle weight, springs, and braking capacity among other things.

Fourth the truck may not have a HiPo motor nor ever will, but the added weight of a shell, carpet kit, (enclosed ladder rack with jack, spare tire, and room for 8 people to sit in chairs) may dictate the bigger sway bar, axle tube dia. and spline count.
Dictate a bigger swaybar, sounds like it. Dictate stronger leaf springs, possibly. Dictate bigger axle tube diameter and higher spline count, not at all.

Even if the ladder rack is a platform I fail to see where 8 people will sit in chairs. I damn sure don't see where it could do it safely while moving. The load you mention should be well within the load capacity of the 28 spline axle. The added weight of 6 or 7 more people while the truck is static won't hurt the axle, springs on the other hand...

I'm not trying to say that the 28 spline is as strong as the 31 spline, but the 28 spline isn't going to break just because you put 3200lbs on it. That said, regardless of which axle you have under it the springs might never go back to their original shape if you over load them like that.

Fifth we were just at the ridgcrest 300 working pit 'C' for our race team. if we destroy the axle in any way how would we pit for our team?
The same way that you would with a broken 31 spline axle. If as pit crew you are doing anything to break a 28 spline axle, you'll also be breaking a 31 spline axle. If it were the truck that is racing then I could see the need, but you are talking about a pit vehicle. If you are really worried about that, I think you need a bigger pit truck.

Sixth we have our reasons and do what we will do, the how is what he was asking...
Cool, then do it. ADSM and I have both given thoughts as to where you may find solutions to your problems. Ford never built anything on the RBV platform that used individual sensors at each rear wheel and a 31 spline axle. The setup on 2010 & 2011 Rangers came from government regulations that required TC and RSC to be standard equipment, by this legislation's introduction the Explorer was already on a different platform.

Prior to 2005 (maybe it was 2004) Explorers used the 31 spline solid axle with ABS but they too had just one sensor in the pumpkin. The 2005 and up Mustangs used a 31 spline disk braked axle and thanks to the same legislation later models probably have sensors at each wheel. If the '10+ Ranger had a drum-in-hat parking brake like the Explorers did, then the Mustang most likely has a different style rear brake system and the sensors won't work without swapping the whole system. The F-150 is probably closer to the same style brake setup as the '10+ Ranger, but the components are larger, set-up for 6 lug, and once again would likely require swapping in the whole rear disk system. That is all speculation of course. Out of curiosity I've searched since this thread was posted, but can not find any information online about how the traction control or ABS system and sensors work on these later model vehicles. Can't really even find anything on the components used for it.

I've also searched on Explorer axle swaps into '10+ Rangers. From what I can tell y'all are the first people to even inquire about it. If anyone has done it yet the either aren't keen on sharing the info, or they didn't care about having the ABS and TC (and possibly speedo) functioning when they got done.

You are entering uncharted territory here, so unfortunately you'll probably have to be the guinea pig for it. Please keep track of what you find and let us know. Your finding may help someone else with this project in the future, hell might even help me if I ever end up with a '10+ that needs an axle.

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Josh, 2.3 and 3.0 rangers got a 7.5 ring gear and 4.0 got an 8.8 28 spline, all explorers got an 8.8 ring gear and 31 spline axles regaurdless of engine size.

Why is that? Weight maby?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For the same reason the Explorer got SLA in 95, and the Ranger waited until 98. The same reason the Explorer got rear disks in 95 while the Ranger didn't get them until 2010. The same reason the FX4 (2002 only) & FX4 LII got a 31 spline axle while the regular versions got a 28 spline. The same reason they never offered a V8 in a Ranger. The same reason that they stopped really improving on the Ranger, and eventually killed it off. It was mostly about accountants and marketing.

Not denying that 8.8" ring gear and the 31 spline are stronger, but that doesn't mean that you need the added strength for what you are doing. The load you mentioned (and hopefully you ain't driving around with 8 people sitting in chairs on top of this Ranger) is within the rated capacity of the stock axle and suspension. Swapping in an Explorer 8.8 is not going to increase your load capacity, because the springs put a bigger limit on it than the axle does.

As said, you want it and that's cool. Problem is you seem to be confusing a want with a need. If you were installing big heavy 35"+ tires or were installing a big powerful motor that were going to cause axle shafts to break routinely, then it would be a need. You don't need it, you want it, so quit trying to justify it as a need. If there is anything needed for your plans with this truck it is leaf springs rated for a higher capacity.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hell it's not even your truck, so what are the OP's plans for this truck. I'm sure that he's got his own aspirations for it, so let's hear it from him.

Let's also hear if he really wants to to void out all of his warranty (if there's any left) by modifying his rear axle, brakes, ABS, TC, and overloading (according to Ford's ratings) the chassis.

Sounds like a lot of other people have plans of what for him to do with his truck, might be better if those people bought his old 98 and did it themselves.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Josh.
Its clear I pushed your buttons, I am sorry for that.
This is a forum for modifing rangers/rvb.
Want vs. Need? ,I'm not making digs at your V8 swap.
We only asked about the RSC/ABS sensors.
And yes he has access to my explorer and f-150 blended leaf packs.
No their will not be anyone on the rack wile the vehicle is in motion.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Josh. There is a few reasons. First is I got access to an alburn pro 31 spline. Second is I added a campershell and soon a overhead basket so its become a bit of a tedder todder. Problem I run into is the 2010 sport doesnt feature a swaybar nor provisions for. Now I wouldnt car other then I dont like my computer hiting my brakes for me when I tilt my truck in a corner and I drive alot of high speed turns. Adsm: I think that is gonna be the ticket. Only thing I am gonna have to check on is teeth count

On all year Rangers the "provisions" for a rear anti-sway bar are invisible
as the sway bar center brackets CLAMP to the axle with U-Bolts

and the only attachments on the frame are a single 12mm hole in each side
of the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals