• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2010 2.3L Ranger

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
One of my friends wrecked his truck and he's looking to buy a 2010 2.3 ranger. It has 95,000 miles on it they want around $9000 for it. He asked me if the break was supposed to click really loud when you Press it. What I want to know is it normal to hear a loud click on pressing the break to allow you to shift into drive? I haven't owned a newer model ranger or an automatic so I really don't know.

thanks guys

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With column shift Ford automatics there is a Shift Lock Solenoid that holds the shifter in Park unless you press down on the brake pedal, at that time the solenoid retracts and shifter is released and can be shifted into gear.
The solenoid is on the steering column above brake pedal area

The solenoid would make a click noise if you were listening under the dash, but I wouldn't say it is common to hear it while sitting in drivers seat.

Could be shifter is getting loose, common issue on all Ford trucks, or could be solenoid has a problem.

Google: ford ranger shift interlock actuator

If this solenoid fails you will be stuck in Park, but most have an override button that can be used, locations change but owners manual will have that location listed

The solenoid is activated by Brake Light power, so if brake light fuse blows...........solenoid won't get power

Last edited:

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. That's what I needed.

Do you think this is a good price by chance?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Miles are good 16,000 per year, means it was driven daily which is a good sign

As far as price, you would have to look at local "buy and sell", truck trader and craigslist, pickup truck prices vary by area too much for me to guess at it :)
Look at the ASKING PRICES to get an idea of the local market, you can even make a call and ask what it sold for.
The BUYER sets the value of a used car, not the seller.
Seller wants the most he can get and buyer wants to pay the least he can, if a deal is made then that is the Local Value of that vehicle.

Local Ford dealers offer a Used Vehicle inspection, usually $125-$175, not a bad investment if you are a serious buyer, they often find little things that can add up and when you go to negotiate a price you have those things to mention and maybe get $200 or $300 off the price, so it really costs you nothing :)

If seller won't allow the inspection then that should tell you something, up to you if you want to continue.

If inspection finds a major problem, then money well spent IMO.

Last edited:

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I will heed your advice. Thank you again sir.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals