• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2009 Sport 4x4 Lift Kit

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think the 285/75/16 is considered a 33 inch tire... IMHO... way to tall for a 3.73.

I think your plan for the vacuum repairs will work... just ensure you are routed properly away from heat sources.

You can replace the clutch on the compressor. Sounds like it just worn out... mine is starting to make a bit of racket lately.

I posted the link to the Tech Library pre key information in my last post... it is what sgtsandman also refers to also. I know folks on here with pre 08 trucks crank the t-bars max and fit the 285/75/16's... but I believe they rub a bit. They also typically run them on an 8 inch wide wheel. However... you still have the 3.73 gear. If you need 33's... you should truly consider a re-gear.

I run 32's (265/75/16) with a 4.10 gear... I feel it is totally livable but I do feel the difference from the factory 31 inch tall tires.

Here is the link to the Tech Library to help understand gear ratio to tire size changes.

Gear Ratio Guide For Larger Tires (therangerstation.com)

Spend some time poking around the Tech Library... there is 20 plus years of helpful information to help you with many things you would like to do.
My fault. I typed the wrong tire size into the calculator on 1010 tire. That pretty much negates much of what I posted in reply.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My fault. I typed the wrong tire size into the calculator on 1010 tire. That pretty much negates much of what I posted in reply.
For the shame that you brought upon this thread, you must wear a Chevy hat for the rest of the day.

AJ

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
For the shame that you brought upon this thread, you must wear a Chevy hat for the rest of the day.

AJ
and take a dump in your furnace...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
and take a dump in your furnace...
Unlike some people, I don’t have a fire breathing octopus furnace. Such an act would not end well for everyone.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lol, thanks for your help guys. Appreciate all the input received here.

Kinda now just going back and forth on the lift part and I may have found some old keys and shackles that I can use, just need some new shocks and ill see what I can do. The rest of everything else seems pretty straight forward. If I can get the truck a bit higher, some 32s will be going on there - I just am sure they will rub on off-road stuff if I cant give myself extra clearance.. and the body lifts just DO NOT seem like a great idea.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Opinions will differ on body lifts. To me, body lifts should come after suspension lifts. Suspension lofts give you more ground clearance. Body lifts just make room for bigger tires. Yes, the bigger tires give you some lift too. I just think suspension is the better option in a lot of cases.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It's pretty hard to have it both ways in one of these Rangers. In a perfect world we would have a daily driver and a dedicated off road rig. Everything you do to make it more capable off road affects the longevity and handling characteristics as a daily driver. Bone stock provides the best daily driver experience but even though they are fairly capable off road... there are many ways to make that aspect better. Tough decisions...

PA use to make a 1 inch body lift. It was discontinued years ago. They still offer the three inch and I have thought about buying the blocks and cutting them down. I think there are other options out there... maybe try searching the site here for "one inch body lift". I know there were discussions sometime ago on this very subject. This was part of my original plan for my truck... but I chose a different path simply because for the time being... daily driver out weighed off road capability. This one inch body lift might just be the difference you need... for me personally... it is the way I would go if I needed "a bit more" tire clearance. At some point in the future... I very well may do one myself (after I have a new Bronco parked in the garage). They also install fairly easy and If I remember they require zero bumper relocation brackets/steering adapter/fuel filler extension/etc...

There are options in the 33 inch tire category... they make a 33/10.50/15 (you world need new wheels) and also a 235/85/16 which would fit on your current wheels. These narrower tires work better inside the confines of the wheel well better then the 33/12.50 types that you have mentioned.

The trouble with the lift you just posted... they sure leave your front axles at pretty steep angles and frankly there is minimal down travel left in the front suspension. You loose a bunch of longevity/reliability of most suspension and driveline part up front.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's pretty hard to have it both ways in one of these Rangers. In a perfect world we would have a daily driver and a dedicated off road rig. Everything you do to make it more capable off road affects the longevity and handling characteristics as a daily driver. Bone stock provides the best daily driver experience but even though they are fairly capable off road... there are many ways to make that aspect better. Tough decisions...

PA use to make a 1 inch body lift. It was discontinued years ago. They still offer the three inch and I have thought about buying the blocks and cutting them down. I think there are other options out there... maybe try searching the site here for "one inch body lift". I know there were discussions sometime ago on this very subject. This was part of my original plan for my truck... but I chose a different path simply because for the time being... daily driver out weighed off road capability. This one inch body lift might just be the difference you need... for me personally... it is the way I would go if I needed "a bit more" tire clearance. At some point in the future... I very well may do one myself (after I have a new Bronco parked in the garage). They also install fairly easy and If I remember they require zero bumper relocation brackets/steering adapter/fuel filler extension/etc...

There are options in the 33 inch tire category... they make a 33/10.50/15 (you world need new wheels) and also a 235/85/16 which would fit on your current wheels. These narrower tires work better inside the confines of the wheel well better then the 33/12.50 types that you have mentioned.

The trouble with the lift you just posted... they sure leave your front axles at pretty steep angles and frankly there is minimal down travel left in the front suspension. You loose a bunch of longevity/reliability of most suspension and driveline part up front.
Hmmmm, what youre saying makes a lot of sense. I am a little torn, as most the trails I do go down, id very much benefit from the 33s and some lift, yet at the same time I definitely want my vehicle to last.

Its funny, since I cranked my t-bars to level out my truck (with no lift kit or anything), Ive noticed that my ride has actually been a lot smoother. Im guessing its because my front shocks arent already compressed, loosing some of the absorption.

Say I were not going to use the full 3 inch suspension, and crank the t-bars to say, 2 inches. Would you think thats perhaps livable

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also I just thought of another issue... the spare tire... does anyone know the max size spare you can fit in the under carriage

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Also I just thought of another issue... the spare tire... does anyone know the max size spare you can fit in the under carriage
31” and only just. Anything bigger will have to go elsewhere.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Hmmmm, what youre saying makes a lot of sense. I am a little torn, as most the trails I do go down, id very much benefit from the 33s and some lift, yet at the same time I definitely want my vehicle to last.

Its funny, since I cranked my t-bars to level out my truck (with no lift kit or anything), Ive noticed that my ride has actually been a lot smoother. Im guessing its because my front shocks arent already compressed, loosing some of the absorption.

Say I were not going to use the full 3 inch suspension, and crank the t-bars to say, 2 inches. Would you think thats perhaps livable
The SLA axle puts a real crimp on things. Options are limited. That’s part of the reason many go with earlier models. Some chose to go with a solid axle swap.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The SLA axle puts a real crimp on things. Options are limited. That’s part of the reason many go with earlier models. Some chose to go with a solid axle swap.
Yes, I'm beginning to learn this. To be honest, all of my vehicle knowledge and learning is happening right now - this is the first vehicle I've ever had that I cared about and I lacked the foresight of some of the things I'd like to be able to do with it. Prior, I was driving a MK3 Jetta and I just drove it directly into it's grave.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Don't get to worked up here... stay within reasonable expectations and you can still get your truck out and have a bunch of fun.

pre key lift... 1 inch body lift and 33 inch tires are certainly doable. Many do it without the body lift.

Bobtube

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sport 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't get to worked up here... stay within reasonable expectations and you can still get your truck out and have a bunch of fun.

pre key lift... 1 inch body lift and 33 inch tires are certainly doable. Many do it without the body lift.
Uncle Gump, you are my shaman, the Ranger is my temple.

This project is going to happen for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals