• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2009 Ranger XL Base Rear Speaker Wiring

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Have a 2009 base Ranger XL that came with just an am/fm. Upgraded to a Ford am/fm/cd. Bought 4 Kicker 6 x 8 speakers, mounted two in the doors.
There are speaker enclosures behind seats, standard cab. Wiring not there, but I have read several posts that there is a run of speaker wire with a connection under the vinyl/rubber floor covering, under the drivers seat.
I haven't taken my seat out yet to check, but does anyone REALLY REALLY REALLY know if there is a wire set/connection under there ???
If not, I am well versed in running speaker wire from the back of the radio, just would be easier if wire's were already there and hooked up to the radio, and I can just connect new speaker wire to that wire run.
Thanks for any input
Grumpaw

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I added speakers in those rear enclosures and there was no wiring whatsoever. Nothing running from the radio harness, nothing under the flooring, nothing at the enclosures. My truck is identical to yours so.... yea.... hate to kill your dreams.

Unless its one of those odd things ford decided to do randomly on some trucks. Ive heard some XL trucks had the fog light wiring pre-installed but my truck didn't have that either.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Thanks buddy. Not a problem...I've wired dozens of radios over the years. Takes all of 30 seconds to pull the radio and find the wires to rear speakers. Easy Peasy to splice and run new wire's to the back.
Ditto on the fog wiring...none on mine either.
:icon_cheers:
Grumpaw

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Unless its one of those odd things ford decided to do randomly on some trucks. Ive heard some XL trucks had the fog light wiring pre-installed but my truck didn't have that either.
i've heard about the fog lights having wires ran, never the radio. i have fog lights and speakers behind the front seat on my reg cab Edge.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Found some info on google...
There is a plug under the drivers side floor mat. There are supposedly 8 wires running into it from under the dash, and a 4 wire plug/4 wires coming out that are apparently for the seat belt light and airbag light/sensor.
The other 4 wires into the plug from the dash are , apparently, for the rear speakers. If the truck has no rear speakers, the plug coming out is not there, the speaker wires end at the plug.
If that's the case, then I / you can simply splice into those wires and run them back to the rear speaker pods. Supposedly the wires are color coded as listed on the many OE audio/speaker wiring diagrams.
Until I remove the seat I won't know for sure. But if you look under the drivers side seat you will see a wrapped bundle of 4 wires feeding from under the floor mat and leading to connections on the underside of the seat.
Once my shoulder heals enough so I can remove the seat, I'll know for sure.
:yahoo:
Grumpaw

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals