• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 swap

BradleyH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All,

This is my first time posting here so Hello.
I’ve got a 2008 ranger, 3L v6. I seized the engine cause I hadn’t checked my oil level for a while. I got quoted $7k for a long block at the auto shop but my father in law recommended just buying a parts car and doing an engine swap. Since we’re in NY, he thinks I could find another with Ranger with some salt damage but an otherwise good engine, probably with low mileage.
My main question is what do I look for in another car. Should it be the same year, make, and model or is there some years up or down I can still use. I’ve tried to find info on what is or isn’t compatible so I figured I’d post here and see if someone could help.
Thank ya much!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

You can use a 1999 to 2008 3.0l engine from a Ranger or Mazda B3000, 2008 was the last year of the 3.0l Vulcan engine
2WD or 4x4 doesn't matter
Manual or automatic doesn't matter

You should plan on swapping over your upper and lower intakes WITH injectors to the replacement engine, this will make vehicle wiring all match up and take Flex Fuel engine off the table

2004 to 2006 Ranger/Mazda 3.0l engines did have an issue with recessed Valve Seats, a factory defect but wasn't 100% failure rate, but if you have the choice of a 3.0l the NOT from a 2004-2006 Ranger/Mazda then chose it, lol

Engines are often listed by VIN number designation
Look at your VIN, the 8 digit will be "U" or "V", your 2008 will be U because last 3.0l Flex fuel was 2003
U = gasoline only
V = Flex Fuel, gas or E85

As long as you swap upper and lower intakes you can use either U or V 3.0l engine

3.0l Vulcan engine had some common issues that you may want to address with engine out
The Front engine cover has two coolant passages that WILL leak, so good to replace that gasket and also the main front crank seal
There is a metal Coolant Elbow on upper front of engine, can rust out, has temp sensor/sender on it
Rear main seal, any time you have access, these can leak on any engine

Make sure you put back in the Block Plate, its the thin metal plate between engine and transmission, it is REQUIRED to align the starter motor, you will burn thru starters without this plate

car-part.com
This is a good place to look for used engines in your area, zipcode

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals