• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Ranger

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Am I correct in thinking that a 2008 Ranger comes with 2" or 2 1/2" lift blocks on the rear axel? I am looking at a photo of one in a distant U-Pull junkyard, but no info is available. It appears to be a plain Jane reg cab with a 6 foot bed and no badges to indicate anything like 4wd, etc.

My goals include finding 2-2 1/2 lift blocks, plus rear disks and a rear axel with a limited slip diff. It would be nice if I could find all that in one trip, but the lift blocks alone would be worth the effort.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
If that's the only ranger they got, I probably wouldn't bother going.

No tow hooks suggests 2wd. 2wds don't have 2.5" blocks and considering it's so base looking I doubt it would of been equipped with rear discs or a limited slip.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely looks standard. Thanks. You've been around long enough to know what I'm up to: the same thing everyone else wants with a rear axel swap. I've got the standard, basic open differential, a one wheel wonder. I've been lucky so far. I have had mine for just a year now and got through a Minnesota winter without getting stuck.

There's plenty of Explorers here in the boneyards,. I could pull an axel from one, but this forum explains they require a welder which I don't have.

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Yes a welder and a gauge to set the pinion angle is required because you need to cut the spring perches off the bottom of the axle and weld a set to the top of the axle since Explores springs are under the axle and rangers are on top of the axle.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Yes a welder and a gauge to set the pinion angle is required because you need to cut the spring perches off the bottom of the axle and weld a set to the top of the axle since Explores springs are under the axle and rangers are on top of the axle.
Thanks and much obliged. These are the kinds of things which could easily make a monkey out of me.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Definitely looks standard. Thanks. You've been around long enough to know what I'm up to: the same thing everyone else wants with a rear axel swap. I've got the standard, basic open differential, a one wheel wonder. I've been lucky so far. I have had mine for just a year now and got through a Minnesota winter without getting stuck.

There's plenty of Explorers here in the boneyards,. I could pull an axel from one, but this forum explains they require a welder which I don't have.
It's pretty well reccomended to replace the clutches in a junkyard lsd axle before Installation in its new home.

This requires pulling the carrier.

IMO... just buy an LSD carrier, rebuild kit for the carrier, bearings, whatever... and just have a shop install it. Used carriers can be had for a couple hundo on ebay.

When I had my Yukon lsd Installed in my '10 the labor was about 700$. A good chunk of change.. yes.. but absolutely worth it. Makes winter much easier to deal with.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
It's pretty well reccomended to replace the clutches in a junkyard lsd axle before Installation in its new home.

This requires pulling the carrier.

IMO... just buy an LSD carrier, rebuild kit for the carrier, bearings, whatever... and just have a shop install it. Used carriers can be had for a couple hundo on ebay.

When I had my Yukon lsd Installed in my '10 the labor was about 700$. A good chunk of change.. yes.. but absolutely worth it. Makes winter much easier to deal with.
More possibilities. Thanks once again.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
You can also go for the Torsen, I think they still make the style that will fit the ranger with either 28 splines or 31 splines. I have one in the back from the factory and it does so good, I installed one in the front. Rear discs will be a little hard to find on a Ranger 8.8, although there may be a conversion kit out there somewhere.

As far as the blocks I think 2.5" were only found on the early fx4 models or the edge, from about 2002-2005. They lowered them to 2" and then 1.5" by 2009. I was fortunate enough to find a nice set local to me.

You can also look into a set of Belltech 6400 shackles to get a little more lift in the rear. They are a Chevy lowering shackle you can find without too much trouble, and it might save you a trip to the boneyard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals