• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Explorer Spottrac Limited w/V8

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I had posted as 2007, but found out it is a 2008. So I understand the transmission issues have likely been fixed by this model year and leading around the rear window. Any other issues?

So for value. 152,000 and maybe $8,900. I would rather have lease mileage, but the price sounds good. Any thoughts on the price/value?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Im not a sport trac expert but I believe the V8 trucks got the 6r60 transmission which is excellent from what I know.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Check KBB but for a V8 that's probably a decent price. The 6 speed auto with the V8 is better than the 5 speed with the V6 but still not great. With 150k it may have been rebuilt already so look for evidence that it has. If not, allow for that in the price. Most Sport Trac trannys crap out between 100k and 150k. The V8's tend to suffer from cracked exhaust manifolds so listen for ticking when it's cold. Look for rust in the lower rear cab corners and door bottoms.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have an 08 Explorer Eddie Bauer, same thing just without the truck bed LOL. 132k miles on it, and had an ABS control module failure, sets off your traction control, stability control, and Service RSC NOW, messages/lights....part is no longer available. So, that's something major to consider...and you cannot replace it yourself even if you fine one as they have to be programmed for the vehicle and bled. So far with diagnostics, and parts I'm at $1,000 into this mess, and if they cannot program it at the shop its at its another $350 for them to get someone over to the shop that can program it. So to me this is a pretty major issue, given parts aren't available anymore, the ABS pump assembly is also no longer available, so this is one of those things that render the vehicle pretty useless as who wants to listen to the annoying dinging forever, and the red error message on the instrument cluster all the time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals