• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 2.3 ranger.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Just order a Dynomax "race bullet" muffler from summit. 2 1/4" in/out, 18 inch case, perforated steel core, no packing/matting material whatsoever...should sound sweet!

p.s: Think I'll check out the Diablo site here in a few. A programmer's next on the list.Thanx for the link

Last edited:

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know how much the race bullet is but you could just put a cheap cherry bomb glasspack on, drive the truck around for an hour allow glasspack to get hot and then stuff a garden hose down into the glasspack turn it on and break the glass and then you have a hollow tube in which the pigs cant say anything about because it looks like a completely legal glasspack so in other words running it straight out of the cat

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
cops dont care what kind of muffler you have or even if you have a muffler. they are concerned with decibels. if your truck is too loud, you can get a ticket no matter what muffler you have. if your motor is very quite, you could run straight pipes and it wouldnt matter, as long as the decibels were below the specified level.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I was going to go with a straight-through magnaflow but the size I wanted was only available w/ a 14" case length, so I went with the Dynomax hoping the longer case will help lower the tone a little bit. The race bullets aren't made with any sort of sound restrictions taken into consideration, so we'll see how stupid-loud the truck becomes with it on. Like wicked said, some vehicles aren't really that loud anyways, straight pipes or otherwise. A lot of the TurboDiesel Volkswagen guys run straight pipes all the way back, you can't really hear the exhaust over the compressor sucking in all the surrounding air.

I just checked out the Diablo predator, I like how you can have your software updated as you add mods to your rig. Seems like they do a good job of backing up their product. Thanks again

97fightingseebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
are you sure the intake wont help any? i put one on my old ranger and it seemed to help alot... of course it didnt have much power to begin with.. and this is one quiet ass truck.. i put a flowmaster 40 series on it and you can barely tell.. so im wonderin what straights would sound like.. and when you put a programmer on a truck, even if you set it back to "stock" can the dealership still tell its been flashed?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no an intake wont help. yes the dealership will be able to tell that you had a programmer even if you set it back to the stock tune...but they wont care.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I'll be the first to admit that CAIs sound pretty sweet, especially at full chat. The argument as to whether they add any kind off significant performance gains to these trucks has been hashed out on these forums many, many times. I personally don't see any kind of improvement over the stock intake setup with them, at least not on the newer rangers. The stock air filter is in a hermetically sealed high density plastic box (which, as Wicked_Sludge has pointed out, is much more resistant to heat-soak than metal) that gets a nice, cold feed of air from behind the headlight. So far as I'm aware, there aren't any intake silencers or any other air restrictions inside the intake ducting, but I may be wrong on this point. I simply can't think of where any power would be lost on the stock intake setup. Besides, an engine can only "suck" a certain amount of air: you can't force an engine to take in more air by simply adding a bigger filter. Forced induction opens a whole new can of worms on this subject, but that's for another thread.

You raise a good question about the downloadable programmers. I'm pretty sure using one wouldn't void your warranty so long as you save to OE files and re-flash them before turning the truck in. Might want to check with the manufacturer of the programmer on that one. You could probably find that info on the Diablosport site as they have a ton of stuff on there

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
I hope not, because I sure want one once I can afford it. Need some hp! I looked a little more on the diablosport site and I found out there are coming out with a programmer "Trinity" that has a screen so you can change driving stats while driving. $899.99 ! :thefinger:

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I saw that one, too. Nuts!

97fightingseebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
will sombody clarify this for me? say i was to put a couple of cams, or add some kind of charger to my truck, do i HAVE to take it to a dyno? or can the company i buy my programmer from just send me an update or somthin?

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
will sombody clarify this for me? say i was to put a couple of cams, or add some kind of charger to my truck, do i HAVE to take it to a dyno? or can the company i buy my programmer from just send me an update or somthin?
your best bet would be to just contact the manufacture because they would probably know best

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you could have a programmer guess and hope the tune is right, but in order to get the best power, reliability, and fuel economy out of the setup, your best bet would be to spend some time on the dyno.

97fightingseebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
and the dyno has the capability to completely rewrite my ecu to run with the mods right? are they gonna have to hack into it or somthin or can they just hook up and start programming?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
most dyno shops have software for reflashing the PCM. its as simple as plugging into the dataport and building the tune.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals