• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 Ranger 4X4 Power Stroke built in Argentina

drbooks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have enjoyed this diesel powered workhorse for over 10 years (bought it used). I now have some repairs to deal with. The engine is a 2.8 liter (not built by ford), and I am at a dead end trying to find engine parts. Is anyone familiar with an outlet for replacements (mainly at the front end of the motor), such as fan pulley assemblies?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You need to sell your problem truck to me😁. I could trade you a nice 2011 sport 4x4. Arginine Rangers are hard to come by here. I did see a 4 door Ranger about 2 months ago. I had to do a double take.

I have one of these engines that will eventually wind up in my 03' Ranger. I just have had so much going on I've had to put the project on hold.
Most parts and special tools are no problem as they are almost identical to the Land Rover 300 TDI. If you need anything for the transmission, you're screwed.
Where are you located? Here in the USA, you're not going to find anything local, most likely. There are a few Rover shops in the USA that support spares but they are understandably high. I have imported all of the parts I've gathered from the UK.

Motor and Diesel in the UK specializes in the 2.8 for conversions in Defenders. A lot the special 2.8 of parts have been discontinued. Most exactly the same as the 300 Tdi.

Are you looking for just the pulley, or the viscous fan assembly?

Attachments

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven't had any luck with this guy out of Miami. Everything I have needed has always been discontinued. If you have a 2019 Diesel Ranger he could probably hook you up. M and D has been my best source.

And finally this resource has diagrams for the 2.8 and 300tdi with part numbers so you know what to order. You'll find the 2.8 shares a lot of the land Rover prefix ERR...... Part numbers.

I have found a lot of what I need on Mercado Libre , however they have it set up where you cannot do international shipping. If you can figure that out, that would open up a huge door for the supply of parts. The other hurdle is the lack of me speaking Espanol.

Driftin

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Quad Cab
Engine Size
2.8 Turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have enjoyed this diesel powered workhorse for over 10 years (bought it used). I now have some repairs to deal with. The engine is a 2.8 liter (not built by ford), and I am at a dead end trying to find engine parts. Is anyone familiar with an outlet for replacements (mainly at the front end of the motor), such as fan pulley assemblies?
Greetings from beautiful Costa Rica.

Firstly, where are you located? Your post is a little older so you may have gotten some good information and are sourcing parts. In case that didn't happen read on.......

I have a 2006 Ranger 4 door 4x4 also produced in the Ford General Pacheco plant in Argentina. The 2.9 diesel is indeed a genuine Power Stroke manufactured by International in Brazil. These motors are enlarged displacement copies of the 2.5 liter Land Rover 300 TDI motor. As such many of the parts are interchangeable including the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, accessory fixture for mounting the alternator, most gaskets, fan and clutch and a whole lot more. The motor is no longer made (maybe by the Chinese) but parts can be had most easily coming from England, including a lot of 2.8 specific parts, like alternators. International is now known as MWM outside the US. I am lucky enough to have an MWM distributor here in Costa Rica so factory parts are available. They should have distributors in the US and Canada too since many of their power products have ended up there in various platforms.

One parts source I have also used is LRdirect in the UK. They ship worldwide. you can also aource in the US from Rovers North and a couple of others although they will likely have to inport 300 TDI parts with the exception of filters or other common stock wear items.

Good luck with the hunt.

Driftin

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Quad Cab
Engine Size
2.8 Turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Forgot too add, your transmission is an Eaton Fuller manual 5 speed most likely. They are truly bullet proof if you change the oil (every 100k miles) and keep the oil level topped off.

Attached transmission servce manual.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Greetings from beautiful Costa Rica.

Firstly, where are you located? Your post is a little older so you may have gotten some good information and are sourcing parts. In case that didn't happen read on.......

I have a 2006 Ranger 4 door 4x4 also produced in the Ford General Pacheco plant in Argentina. The 2.9 diesel is indeed a genuine Power Stroke manufactured by International in Brazil. These motors are enlarged displacement copies of the 2.5 liter Land Rover 300 TDI motor. As such many of the parts are interchangeable including the water pump, thermostat, timing belt, accessory fixture for mounting the alternator, most gaskets, fan and clutch and a whole lot more. The motor is no longer made (maybe by the Chinese) but parts can be had most easily coming from England, including a lot of 2.8 specific parts, like alternators. International is now known as MWM outside the US. I am lucky enough to have an MWM distributor here in Costa Rica so factory parts are available. They should have distributors in the US and Canada too since many of their power products have ended up there in various platforms.

One parts source I have also used is LRdirect in the UK. They ship worldwide. you can also aource in the US from Rovers North and a couple of others although they will likely have to inport 300 TDI parts with the exception of filters or other common stock wear items.

Good luck with the hunt.
Great info. Thanks for joining the conversation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals