• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 Ford Ranger Sport 2WD Auto Tranny Slipping

porkchopsandwiches

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2006 Ford Ranger Sport 2WD 3.0L V6 Automatic. It's a daily driver and gets me to and from work everyday.

I noticed that while driving on the interstate, when I am over speeds of 65+ MPH and I accelerate (pedal to the metal) it feels like the transmission slips into neutral and over revs until I let loose and it kicks back into gear.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Also, could replacing the rear transmission seal solve this issue?

Thanks again everyone.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Last question first: no. The rear seal only keeps the fluid inside the transmission. On the other hand, if you are low on fluid, strange things can happen as the pressure varies inside the valve body. Check the transmission fluid level with the engine at operating temperature, idling, in park or neutral, on level ground.
I would not continue to floor the gas pedal as it can damage the transmission severely if the clutches are slipping. The heat generated would ruin the clutches and steels quickly, and you'd have a transmission that would slip so much you couldn't move. If the transmission is truly in neutral, then something has been de-pressured, such as a servo or clutch pack[more likely]. Which one? I dunno. Your transmission might have a solenoid that varies the 'apply pressure' depending on throttle position. If that solenoid was not operating, your line pressure could possibly be too low to apply under high engine output, and would slip severely. Some transmissions used the pressure control solenoid to soften shifts when you accelerate gently, and harden the shifts when you floor it.
tom

porkchopsandwiches

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Tom

Thanks for the response. The transmission fluid level is fine and recently flushed.

You definitely know more on this subject than me, so thank you for your advice and information; however, regarding the transmission, there is no other problems or symptoms that I notice. Daily driving, it is responsive and doesn't slip in any other situation. The issue seems to be only happen when I'm driving at or above that certain speed (typically trying to beat the traffic home for the holidays down I-85).

I have been reading some more forums and the subject of Shift Flaring seems to also sound similar to what I'm seeing - which, from what I read, the typical recommendation was to replace the valve body gasket. Am I doing what all Doctors hate - self diagnosing the wrong ailment?

I'd rather not take it into the dealership and have them turn me upside down and shake me for all my lunch money. Although, I'm thinking I might have to bite the bit and take one up the rear from Ford. What do you recommend?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals