• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 f150 5.4l triton help!

dczerny90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought an 06 F150 Triton 5.4. 172K, 4x4, 2 inch leveling kit, supercab XLT. I had a miss so I changed plugs and 1 coil pack and threw a K&N filter in it. Noticed as I was doing so, someone had changed a coil previously so there are 6 original and 2 aftermarket. I used the new style motorcraft SP-515 plugs so they won't snap, and everything seems to be fine as far as the miss is concerned.

Now I'm noticing that at idle after its warmed up, its pretty rough, almost as if its choking itself out and idle drops when hitting the brake. No idle surge or anything, just rough idle that shakes everything in the truck.

The two other things that are going on...

Noticed when I am backing out or pulling out of a parking spot and I cut the wheel hard, I get a shudder/drag, almost like 4WD is engaged, but I know it's not and I get the same type of feeling at 60-70 MPH on the highway after OD kicks in.

I know the obvious repairs would be change all coils, fuel filter, air filter, flush fluids, etc. What I want to know is if there is something else that could be causing this issue and if anyone has done any of the "obvious" stuff and found that it fixes the issue.

Any input would be grately appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought an '04 f150 w/ 5.4l knowing it had cam phaser problems. That era 5.4 are known for for a seal leak that causes the cams to be out of phase at idle. You get rough idle and sometimes stalling. The solution I came up with was to use thicker weight oil. That's been working for me for a couple years now, ~ 25,000 km. I mixed 0w40 with 15w40. Now it seems that I'll have to run straight 15w40 since I'm getting rough idle sooner between oil changes. I suspect the leak is getting worse. The symptoms happen when oil pressure drops below ~25psi. I teed in a manual oil pressure gauge to keep track.
An oil change to 10w40 might be a cheap check or tee in a gauge and keep an eye on the pressure. IIRC the gauge is beside the filter in a very awkward to get place, but is possible...I did it.
Good luck,

Richard

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not sure about the OP, but Richard, you probably just need solenoids, not phasers. Those can be done pretty easily, you only need to pull the valve covers.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ Thanks, I'll check that out.

Richard

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
He more than likely needs tensioners....that is where the seals give out causing the low oil pressure concern. Left too long it can wipe the cams out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals