• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Windshield Wipers not working in intermittent speed and won't turn off

Cincyranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I hate to start a new windshield wiper thread, but after reading all of the ones that I could find, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a 2004 model and ever since I bought it a couple years ago, the windshield wipers will work in low speed and will continue to work in low speed all through the intermittent selections. The intermittent speeds do not work, and when you reach the last setting, it will work on high speed. Once I try to turn them off, they usually won't turn off until I turn off everything (radio, headlights, climate control, etc. ) and turn the ignition off. Now it has gotten to the point where nothing works to turn them off, so they just keep running while I'm driving it 100% of the time.

So far I've tested both wiper relays with a 9v battery and a multimeter and they function properly. I have removed the Smart Junction Box, sprayed all of the connections with electrical contact cleaner, cleaned all of the fuses with emery cloth and dielectric grease, but no change. I removed the multifunction switch from the steering wheel, cleaned the contacts in the end of the switch and inspected the harness connections, but no change.

Literally, everything is visually spotless so I'm not sure which to replace first. Can anyone give me some direction?
Thanks in advance!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
On that model, would it keep going if it didn't make the "park" position?

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know I'm a little late to the party, but there was a TSB for vehicles built before 3-2004. The park switch located in the wiper motor fails, causing the symptoms the OP is describing. I had this fail while under factory warranty and the dealer replaced it (and both wiper nozzles) at no cost. In my case, the wipers would not park or start wiping while going down the expressway at 65 mph.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals