• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 v6 4.0 Transmisson cooler line leak

deucetracey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am new to this thread and owning a Ford ranger as well.
Not very mechanically-minded either but i'm learning.
My transmission cooler line towards the front of my truck is leaking through due to rust. I will have to get new lines and replace them
Any tips and/or sites that will help me find appropriate lines?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bumping this thread. Having similar issue I think and can't find much content / threads online.
How hard is it to change the trans cooler lines? Can they be "fished" through the engine and chassis or does it need major part removal? Didn't find any info in my Chilton book either.

2007 ranger xlt 4.0 SOHC 4WD

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
See how the existing lines are run and what kind of condition they are in. If the leak is in a spot you can cut and slide a hose with some clamps on, you could do that. This is assuming the rest of the line is in decent shape. Me with my OCD, I would look at replacing the line(s). Ford might still have them available to order. If it's leaking at the radiator, then you are looking at replacing the radiator. In any case, the line(s) need to be repaired or replaced since the transmission needs those lines to keep the transmission from over heating.

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do have a mild case of OCD and would like to avoid a hack - unless the proper fix is really too expensive or too much of a pain. Luckily enough it looks like the line that is leaking is the short line from the main radiator to the oil radiator.
However the other line that goes just next to it - assuming it's the return line - is not in a great shape either (new England rust...). So if possible I'd like to replace it too.
The oil radiator end is to a hose with a clamp so that should be easy enough, do you know how the radiator end is fitted? Do I need one of these scissor tool to disconnect? Surprisingly I can't find much stuff online for a ranger.
Thanks

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK replying to myself in case it helps someone.
No need for special tool, it's a compression fitting. I will return the special quick disconnect tool to O'Reilly.
Pretty easy to change the small line. Did take a quick look at the main return line and it seems more of an endeavor as it looks like you have to disconnect the cat converter to access the fitting on the trans.
Haven't checked the level of ATF yet (haven't driven the truck yet).
Does the system need to be bled?

Part number for that line is 7c410 on 07 4.0l 4wd

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals