• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 ranger transfercase shift motor problem

jellow77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 4x4 ranger that seems to have no power to the shift motor or 4x4 module.. checked all the fuses. They are good. Replaced the shift motor with one that works on another truck.Replaced the Module with one that worked on another truck, same part number. I have no lights on the switch key on and no sound from the module. Where should I go next? Gound problem? Broken wire? Doesn't seem to be any relays that control that motor. It's a 4.0 liter and Automatic tranny also.I just got the truck, so I don't know anything about it. it didn't have a shift motor on it when I got it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If 4x4ConModul is not clicking when you switch 2WHi~4WHi~4WLo,
possibly not getting power to the 4x4 control system or a wiring issue.
The relays are in the 4x4ConModul; they normally click when things are working right.
Make sure the ConModul & ShiftMotor you installed are the correct versions; not an incompatible earlier\later version.
Likely need a 2004 Ranger wiring diagram to troubleshoot this.
Should be able to shift between 2WHi & 4WHi driving or stopped;
shifting in\out of 4WLo requires vehicle to be stopped with foot on brake & tranny in neutral.
Click here for more info on the 4x4 System.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals