• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ranger full-time 4wd to 2wd conversion build Post .... saw before, cant find

hlenhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty sure I saw an Excellent Article on this Site ... Hopefully
GAS just to go to Work is Killing Me, 1 1/2 hour drive everyday @ 80 mph ... & I didnt Need 4WD for 2 Years, thanks to Global Warming.... why would U spin 300 pounds of gears & axles around when U dont need them????? Otherwise, Killer truck with the 4.0 !!! THX Alot

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
is there 300 pounds difference between the 2wd and 4wd version of the truck? i have no idea, is why i ask

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 100lbs is the transfer case, and about 200lbs in the front axle assembly
4x4 also sits higher, also tends to have heavier tires/wheels which lowers MPG

Swapping out a 4WD axle to 2WD wouldn't help you much

Running skinnier lower profile tires will increase MPG on any vehicle
The width of a tire increases its traction which means it increases its rolling resistance as well, i.e. you won't see alot of "fat tires" in bicycle races

The lower a vehicle sits the less air flow resistance occurs under the vehicle
Rangers are not exactly "aerodynamic" on the topside, lol
But they are even worse on the underside, skid plates actually help underside aerodynamics, although add weight so it can be a wash, but if you are commuting at speeds above say 50mph I think it would increase MPG

You could leave the tailgate and spare tire at home, that should drop about 80lbs
Don't fill up the gas tank, full tank(19gal) weighs about 130lbs, so it you don't need it don't carry it, let someone else transport it for you, i.e. a gas truck, lol

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm not sure how the truck market is where your at.. BUT.. where I am an older 2wd ranger pretty much costs half of what the identical 4x4 ranger would.

I'd look into selling/trading into a 2wd 2.3 truck. You'd be a lot closer to 30mpg and could end up with a couple thousand in your pocket.

hlenhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The transfer case decides 2WD or 4WD, not the front axle being locked or unlocked

hlenhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
RonD, Thx ... Yes but my whole point is that even with the transfer case in 2WD, the "locked axle" tires are still spinning All the 300 pounds of 4WD parts unneccesarily, right ?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, its keeping the front drive axles, seals, CVs, differential, u-joints and chain drive LUBED and ready to be used when needed

The 300lbs in 4WD parts are there regardless of axles being locked or not, you are always paying to haul that stuff around, lol, that is just the cost of having a 4WD vehicle
Same as having a 150lb canopy on the bed all the time, or filling up the gas tank and carrying an extra 100lbs of fuel around town when its not needed

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
RonD, Thx ... Yes but my whole point is that even with the transfer case in 2WD, the "locked axle" tires are still spinning All the 300 pounds of 4WD parts unneccesarily, right ?
You're only spinning the 50 pounds of the 2 axle shafts, the differential gears, the front propeller shaft and the transfer case gears & chain. The other 250 pounds are the housings and the oil in those housings. Which is why Ford only found a few fractions of a mpg, by going with lock out hubs. And there were far more warranty recalls from heavy use of the skinny pedal from automatic hubs than the additional fuel economy was worth. (Grenaded a set myself on my Explorer. My dad on the farm was in so often the dealership replaced lockout hubs to prevent truck from coming back).

Driving 80 mph creates over twice the drag that driving 55 mph does. If you want better gas economy slow the !@#$ down.

Note: Removing the tailgate doesn't improve fuel economy: What you really need is a 1/2 tonneau from rear wheel center line back for best aerodynamics.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think even at today's stupid prices for gasoline, it will take you years to repay the cost of changing over the cv shafts, hubs, etc. from the tiny difference in gas mileage with the front axles unlocked. I have a lot better things to do with my time and $$ than that rework. But that's just mho.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Trade for a 2wd truck. (Or an old VW diesel if mpg is your only goal).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals