• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ranger: Do the fuel pumps come in two different sizes?

brc777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered a new fuel pump on eBay. It said it fit my truck. I was putting it in today and it would just not go down far enough to put the ring back around it. I took it back out and it was taller than the oem fuel pump.

Now I have to send the one I ordered back. I am trying to find one that will fit on several different websites. Non of the sites give the dimensions
PXL_20210906_164409625.jpg
of the fuel pumps. I even messaged the sellers with no response. I don't want to order the wrong fuel pump again.

I even got the part # off the OEM pump and tried to look it up, but it wouldn't pull up the exact part #.

I am going to attach some pictures to show you why the new fuel pump wouldn't work.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The universal Pump should collapse/slide down enough to work

Rangers have 2 different size gas tanks, 17gal and 20gal

You can see the springs on the silver tubes that allow pump assembly to fit either size

But your new one does look too long even with springs compressed

Maybe you can pull out the silver tubes at the top and cut them down to match OEM tube length, or swap them with OEM tubes and springs

That may void warranty so just a heads up

brc777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply. I messed with the new one and tried every which of way to get it collapse down to the size of the oem an it just wouldn't work. I tried so much I thought I would break it. The only thing different about my Ranger is that it is an Edge model. It is just a 2wd regular cab that has the height of a 4 wheel drive. Just like a Toyota Prerunner. But the one I ordered said that it fit an Edge.

Maybe someone knows how to make the one I ordered collapse down. That way I want have to send it back and can get the Ranger back on the road.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Even though there are 2 different size tanks, I thought it was all in the length of the tank and the depths were the same? I took out a 14.5 tank for a 20 gallon tank with no issues, granted I fill up before im out, at the 1/2- to 1/4 left range. Maybe some model years differ. my bigger tank came from a 97 and went into a 94, both reg cab longbed 2wd chassis. I did have fuel pump issues later on but chalked it up to a original ‘94 fuel pump, the replacement (forget the brand but came from rock auto) fit ok but a few months later gave me intermittent “no start” issues when cold, would always hot start. I ended up putting a inline summit efi pump in the frame rail, still has the replacement pump in the tank, I had done this before when the stock pump died as a temporary fix but ended up being a permanent thing, I had took out my “rigged” setup when I put the new pump in but put it right back when the new pump proved inconsistent. Yes it will draw through a stock, dead pump. It would be best though to disassemble the stock pump assy and let it just be a fuel pickup/guage sending unit. (remove the actual pump from the assembly & have a fuel line go in place of the pump to the pickup screen) Ive not done that, I should but havent. Its been working for me the way its rigged so Ive just been driving it, been about 3 years/25,000 miles.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"Maybe someone knows how to make the one I ordered collapse down......"
Yes, shorten the tubes at the top they look about 2"-3" longer than OEM

Or send it back

They have sent you the wrong pump regardless of the "claim" of what it fits
Could be an honest mistake(wrong part in the box) or an "on purpose" because they were out of the correct model

Millions of dollars are made by sending people the wrong part, and they don't bother returning it, or CAN'T return it because seller is hard to reach

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Millions of dollars are made by sending people the wrong part, and they don't bother returning it, or CAN'T return it because seller is hard to reach
That's why I stay away from FleaBay. I've never had a problem with Amazon even if the seller is a jerk.

magrasjc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm replacing a fuel pump also on a 2004 3L.
I installed a usmw usem2356m pro series.
I had to grind down a tab that was supposed to go between 2 of the 7 metallic tabs protruding up around the fuel pump opening.
Carid.com gave me the above usem2356 for 111 and 117 wheelbased vehicles.
I noticed that spring problem too. Getting that circular lock thing pushed down was a problem. I reconnected everything and the truck won't emit a single sound or light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals