• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ranger 2.3 No crank, will start from roll start or crossing the solenoid.

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L 16 Valve Duratec Engine
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Need to know what the volts should be for the Red/light blue Wire leaving the ignition switch?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is only two voltages available. Full battery power or 5v sensor reference.

Soooooo given that the ignition switch is not a sensor, it should be the exact same voltage as the battery. (Hopefully +12.3 volts)

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Need to know what the volts should be for the Red/light blue Wire leaving the ignition switch?
battery is good and not every wire on the ignition switch has 12v or higher but im not really sure if i have the Wire that controls the starter but if the red wire with the light blue stripe Is supposed to have +12v then its extremely low

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, there is a red/light blue stripe wire that runs from ignition switch to fuse 21 in cab fuse box, fuse 21 should have 12v with key turned to START
Out of fuse 21 will be a white/pink wire that runs to clutch switch, above clutch pedal on the pushrod

Then out of clutch switch on a pink wire to firewall
At firewall wire can stay pink or change to tan/red in engine bay
But in either case it runs to the starter relay in the engine fuse box

Ignition switch(START)---------(fuse 21)-------(clutch switch)-------------(starter relay)

Cab fuse box is the SJB(smart junction box) which is the Body Computer
These have a known issue for corroded connectors, seen here: https://i1.wp.com/sparkys-answers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/DSC09929.jpg

Connectors have a lever that you lift up on and that pulls up connector away from SJB so you can then pull it off the rest of the way

I would pull fuse 21, then with a grounded meter I would test both fuse 21 slots for 12v with key turned to START, one should have 12v
If so put fuse back, ignition switch and red/blue wire are OK

Then pull out starter relay in engine bay
With key OFF, with grounded meter test each slot in relay base one should have 12v, remember that slot
Then have helper turn key to START and PRESS DOWN clutch pedal, and test the other slots, another slot should now have 12v

Diagram shows automatic trans as well, it uses DTR switch which is not used on a manual trans vehicle

Attachments

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Okay I checked fuse 21 It didn't have 12 volts with the key turn to start it got 0.40 volts at the highest. So I'm a little lost at this point on what my next step would be

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And you tested both slot of fuse 21, only 1 should have 12v with fuse out

If so then the wire from ignition switch to fuse 21 is bad, or connector in SJB is bad

SJB Connector numbering seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?attachments/2008-ford-ranger-fuse-diagram-smart-junction-box-jpg.30179/

C2280A on the left then counter clockwise to C2280D at top right

In the diagram above you will see C2280B wire 27 should be the red/blue wire from ignition switch, it should have 12v with key turned to start
That goes to fuse 21 via connector then out of fuse 21 to C2280A wire 31 and out to clutch switch

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
And you tested both slot of fuse 21, only 1 should have 12v with fuse out

If so then the wire from ignition switch to fuse 21 is bad, or connector in SJB is bad

SJB Connector numbering seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?attachments/2008-ford-ranger-fuse-diagram-smart-junction-box-jpg.30179/

C2280A on the left then counter clockwise to C2280D at top right

In the diagram above you will see C2280B wire 27 should be the red/blue wire from ignition switch, it should have 12v with key turned to start
That goes to fuse 21 via connector then out of fuse 21 to C2280A wire 31 and out to clutch switch
Straight from the ignition switch if I do voltage on the blue and red wire it is very low and sometimes even in the negative so is it something with the ignition switch? Cuz I just replaced it not knowing if it needed replaced but it was when I was having the initial problem with the PCM not powering up

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sure, could be ignition switch, new doesn't mean "it works" anymore, new means NEVER TESTED now-a-days

Unhook either battery cable and pull out ignition switch
When you have ignition switch out hook battery back up and test the Yellow wire(s) yellow wire has 4 connections in the ignition switch, only 1 is used to power red/blue wire in START
Its the B4 wire/connection
red/blue is on the STA connection

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay I checked fuse 21 It didn't have 12 volts with the key turn to start it got 0.40 volts at the highest. So I'm a little lost at this point on what my next step would be
Well, when your horse is suffering you shoot it, so that might be a step you would want to consider.

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Well, when your horse is suffering you shoot it, so that might be a step you would want to consider.
This 2004 horse would easily put your 1990 to shame and would end up shooting itself due to the embarrassment should probably consider that

puresin5187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75 R15
Sure, could be ignition switch, new doesn't mean "it works" anymore, new means NEVER TESTED now-a-days

Unhook either battery cable and pull out ignition switch
When you have ignition switch out hook battery back up and test the Yellow wire(s) yellow wire has 4 connections in the ignition switch, only 1 is used to power red/blue wire in START
Its the B4 wire/connection
red/blue is on the STA connection

Ok ill throw the old one back in and test again thank you, ill post update after i switch it back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals