• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 FX4 with 4.0 AC compressor clutch making noise at start up.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I have a 04 Ranger FX4 with a 4.0 and when I start it and turn on air conditioning it makes a grinding sound. The clutch on the compressor has some rust dust on it so I'm thinking the clutch is going bad. My question is can I replace the clutch without take the compressor off the motor? I also have a 87 Monte Carlo and the compressor on it has started leaking, might order clutch for Ranger and compressor for Monte at same time if I can just change the clutch not the whole compressor.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Mike D.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I had a similar problem on my 2009. I think that you can change just the clutch, however I changed the entire unit because something had put a pinhole in my condenser, my ac hoses were rusting on the metal ends, and I was afraid of replacing everything else and having the compressor go bad.

If it were me, I would change the entire compressor, change the receiver dryer, replace the hoses, and flush the condenser and evaporator. Then on the Monte Carlo, make sure it is the compressor that is leaking, and change it.

You can get a set of R143a gauges and a vacuum pump to evacuate the ac system at Harbor Freight for about $120 with coupons. Then you can do the job right, and be cool for years to come.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Thanks for the help. The compressor on my Ranger isn't making a noise right now so I'm going to do the (wait and see) if it gets worse. The Monte compressor I noticed was leaking when I was having a friend charge and change the R12 to R134. We checked the compressor and it was making a noise like a bearing was going and the pulley wasn't running as strait as it is supposed to. My problem is that the warranty is no good unless I have the system flushed and signed off on be a certified hvac mechanic.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
You should be able to replace the clutch relatively easily on the Ranger. And, you won't have to crack open the system.

Sorry to hear about the monte carlo, hopefully you can get a guy to do it for you reasonably.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has been my experience that clutches will typically outlive their compressor. While I don't know if it's possible to remove the clutch while on the engine, I would definitely give the two of them a spin individually and rule out the compressor before buying a clutch.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Sorry, I have been on here in a while. The compressor on my Ranger works OK, it makes a rattling noise when I start it up after sitting a few days. It spins fairly free when the motor is off but there is some rusty dust around the clutch and on the radiator housing. I think I'll wait and see if it gets worse. The Monte, I ordered a compressor kit from Rock Auto and put the compressor, accumulator on and when I took the orifice tube out it was full of black shavings so I think I will have to have it flushed but I'm not sure if I can hook up everything and drive it to someplace to have it flushed or if I should leave the hoses unattached, I don't want the shavings to get in the new compressor. I put a magnet by the shavings and they didn't stick so the aren't steel, either aluminum or plastic.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals