• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 ranger engine won't turn

al881

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good day everyone.

I have a very strange problem.

I have a 03 Ranger, 188K.
I just completed a transmission filter change, and also purchased a new battery.
I drove it up and down block to make sure all was Ok, went out one week later, engine won't turn at all.

A starter was replaced last November, as well as plugs and wires; all a while back.

These last few days, I have done the following:
1. Made sure the inverter or kill switch was pressed in (passenger side
2. Checked to hear if the fuel pump made a noise. (Wife says yes)
3. opened up internal fuse box, ohmed out all fuses. Looks good.
4. Under hood , drivers side: I swapped relays and checked fuses. I even tapped the relays.
5. I read my alarm system diagnostic document. Followed instructions and looks OK.
6. I have a code reader. (There is no engine light on). No codes found.
7. Lights illuminate on dash OK
8. Does have gas, though a little low; but it's up above empty line.
9. Battery voltage looks to be 13 volts. 13.5 I believe
10. I tested alternator (but not sure why I would if the engine is not cranking)
Wire going back to batter is OK.
11. I took broom handle and banged the starter a few times.
12. Someone said smack the fuel tank a few times, but there is shield around it so I'm not sure this will help.

I think that is it.
I'm running out of items.

2 items remain.
>There is some sort of switch block under steering column that could be replaced. Not sure how to test.
>Some posting on the internet said that some "alarm card" under the steering column may need to be re-programmed for the anti-theft. Anyone hear of this before?

I have not retried a jump start.

There was one item I remember. The day I changed the tranny fluid. I re-started truck and when I turned key, engine did nothing. So I thought it was me and I re-tried start and it worked. Then I went on my way starting and stopping truck (in the drive way)

Next week, turned key. Nothing. Dead. No crank. No click!

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Wild @$$ed guess is that the neutral safety switch isn't working. What happens if you jump the solenoid?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, a common issue in Ford truck column shifters is the two bolts on the steering column loosen up and when you shift into park it doesn't go far enough to engage the NSS(neutral safety switch) located in the trans just above shift linkage.
Try starting in Neutral jiggle it around a bit, but have you foot on the brake in case it starts IN GEAR!

Another issue could be PATS(passive anti-theft system), each key has an RFID tag embedded(no batteries required), each tag has a unique ID number, the keys that came with the truck had their ID numbers programmed into the PATS, so only those keys can start the truck.
You can have a key cut that will work in the doors and ignition, but starter won't work, but neither would fuel pump.
If fuel pump is for sure coming on for 2 seconds when key is first turned on, then PATS wouldn't be the problem.

As said above you can use a small jumper wire from Battery +, to the small wire connector on the starter motor's solenoid, just touching the small wire connector with 12v will cause starter to start, if it doesn't then either large + cable to starter is bad or starter is.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If it 's PATS you should see the light blinking really fast when you turn the key. If it is blinking really fast do you have more than one Ford key on your key chain? That could be the problem.

al881

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got it

I appreciate all responses.

With some other people invovled it was the ground wire on the starter.
We loosened up the bolt on started, tried turning the engine. This triggered a spark up in the engine cabinet plus the engine finally made a noise, like a wimpy 1/2 turn.

We then tightened the starter bolts and it starts fine. Even this morning.
NowI got to get back to my transmission issue and I'll be posting a new thread on this.

This just coincided with changing the tranny fluids and all sorts of
bizarre thoughts were running through my mind.

Regards Al.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals