• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger drive shaft broke in half!

Rangero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys,

New member here; first of all thanks in advance for taking a look at this. Here's the short of it: I've a 2003 Ranger, 4x4, SuperCab, V6, EDGE package that I bought ~4 years ago. No big issues so far until coming from dinner this wknd the rear shaft drive broke in half (seemingly) with the rear portion of it still attached to the back differential and the front part of it pivoting down to the floor... I had it towed to the autoshop where I do my annual inspections.

I'm on a tight budget and need the truck for work, so would really appreciate some advice on what to do plus ballpark cost estimates. I've seen refurbished shafts online going for ~$250 (plus shipping). Questions:

1. Any idea what labor to replace the drive shaft should run me?
2. Anything else that could be done other than just replacing the thing with the same part? (e.g. I heard about aluminum shafts?)
3. Any other compatible shafts out there (so I could shop around for $)?

Any input would be very appreciated, i've spent some time going over the forum but couldn't find the info.

Thanks for your time.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're short on cash I would suggest going to a wrecker and getting a used shaft from a truck the same as yours; same wheelbase and motor/transmission. Your mechanic can replace u-joints if needed and then install. I would say max labor charge would be 1 hour.

Richard

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Agreed, one from a wrecking yard should be a good bet. That kind of failure seems rather unusual (defective maybe, or maybe there was a small unseen dent that finally allowed a crack and it let go).

The replacement shaft has to come from another truck the same cab as yours (Supercab), though since you have a 4x4, engine & trans won't matter (neither does trim package).
Years to look for are '01-'11 Rangers if yours was an aluminum shaft (earlier steel shafts from '98-'00 will work on yours also, though it's possible you may need to swap the output flange on your transfercase for it to fit)

Replace u-joints, then bolt it in.
Just hope there's no collateral damage from your broken one (if both flanges are tight, nothing wobbles as it turns, and no cracks in the transfercase housing, chances are good you're OK).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
search wrecking yards using car-part.com

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
You might be able to find one on Craigslist too, often for $50, from people who part-out their failed Rangers. I got mine that way. Or Ebay.

It's a simple bolt-on job. 4 bolts at each end. If your donor is in reasonable shape, then no need to replace its Universal Joints. I didn't have to. If you're curious how it's done, my photos are here ( http://imgur.com/a/BL7mz ). Your case is even simpler cuz yours is already a 1-piece driveshaft. BTW, steel is stronger metal than aluminum, so I think steel would be better for your 4x4.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I am curious.... Was there a vibration leading up to this happening and how long did you ignore it if so?

A junkyard driveshaft will be the cheapest solution. It is a good idea to replace the u joints at the same time

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals