• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger 5 speed manual transfer case swap?

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have an 03 Ranger 4x4 4.0 Extended cab 5 speed that I want to swap to a manual shift transfer case. From what I have read I need a BW 1354 manual shift transfer case, lever, linkage and driveshaft from a 90-97 model Ranger or from an 02 FX4 or 03 FX4 level 2, and I will need to fab a bracket for the linkage to bolt to since my transmission doesn't have the holes for the bolts (already confirmed). Can the transfer case come from an auto or manual Ranger or are the input shafts different, also did the 4 cyl models use the 1354 as well or does it have to be out of a V6?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For a 2003 Ranger yes, you will need the BW1354m, m is for manual, e was for` electric, they are often listed that way
Yes, manual and automatic used same setup, and engine size didn't matter

In 1998 all Ranger 4x4 transfer case's front drive shaft was changed to propeller joint
Manual transfer case was dropped in 1998 as an option, except for the Level IIs for a few years, as you mentioned

So yes, 1997 and earlier years would be what's available, and you will need the front drive shaft with it, probably the rear as well

You can just find the tail shaft housing with the Bosses(bolt holes) for shift linkage, most of these earlier years had them just the 1998 and up didn't
And its just 8 bolts to swap it out
Looks like this with the holes: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YrEAAOSwNnRYhmPL/s-l500.jpg

Manual shift linkage and boots are hard to find, try to get a complete unit with all the parts

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
iirc, the manual t-case in the 02-03 Level II only was in manual trans trucks; the auto trans trucks had electric shift t-case, so the manual ones of that generation are pretty rare.

There is a company that makes a manual shift conversion kit that bolts onto the electric shift t-case. Its expensive but is less like looking for a needle in a haystack.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
iirc, the manual t-case in the 02-03 Level II only was in manual trans trucks; the auto trans trucks had electric shift t-case, so the manual ones of that generation are pretty rare.

There is a company that makes a manual shift conversion kit that bolts onto the electric shift t-case. Its expensive but is less like looking for a needle in a haystack.
You mean this? https://behemothdrivetrain.com/products/borg-warner-electric-to-manual-shift-conversion-kit
Way overpriced, I can easily get a manual shift transfer case and all the parts for half that.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
where?
1350 or 1354?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can easily get a manual shift transfer case and all the parts for half that.
I'm also curious. Are you just really lucky with junkyards where you live? I would love a shifter that's not cobbled together--not to mention a spare case--but we barely have 4x4 Rangers for parts around here, much less with manual-shift.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm also curious. Are you just really lucky with junkyards where you live? I would love a shifter that's not cobbled together--not to mention a spare case--but we barely have 4x4 Rangers for parts around here, much less with manual-shift.
Yes I have a Ford junkyard nearby, transfer cases are $200-300, and maybe another $100 for the shift linkage and everything else.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Yes I have a Ford junkyard nearby, transfer cases are $200-300, and maybe another $100 for the shift linkage and everything else.
now you definitely have my attention. does that yard actually have a manual shift linkage available?
I'm up in Toledo, retired, and like to take long drives just for something to do.
plus I could stop at Jegs on the way there. :icon_thumby:

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Likewise. I would happily pay $100 for a proper linkage and the dual-manual floor plate, plus whatever for shipping. Or, I usually end up in Ohio for work anyway once a year or so.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK I found a mid 90s Ranger with the 5 speed and manual shift transfer case at the local junkyard, he agreed to $240 for the transfer case, shift lever, linkage, shifter boot, trim piece and the front driveshaft, I put down a deposit on it and he will have it all pulled in a couple days. Doing some reading on here it seems like I may need front driveshaft from an Explorer instead, is that true? I picked up an Explorer 8.8 from him for my Jeep project today, he has a few Explorers I could get a driveshaft from as well.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, you need the front drive shaft that matches the transfer case, so mid-1990's drive shaft

In 1998 Ranger transfer cases got a new front connection, a propeller joint, and used the new Dana 35 SLA front axle
But I think the Dana 35 SLA u-joint should be the same as 1990-1997 Dana 28/35 TTB

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals